Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2022, 05:19 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Are there really contracts that can force anyone to live a certain place for 7 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2022, 05:50 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrews12 View Post
From the link:
"The program is available in rural communities of 20,000 people or less."

Definitely doesn't apply to this family, but thank you for the information. I've been looking online but can't find anything that requires 7 years occupation of a house. I wonder what kind of program requires you to stay in a house for 7 years.
There are other similar programs around. When I was first married my husband and I took advantage of a similar local program in Memphis, having to live in the home for x number of years or facing some sort of penalty when selling. I don't remember any details other than it had something to do with attempting to keep the inner city neighborhood a stable residential area.

Old 05-12-2022, 04:07 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Are there really contracts that can force anyone to live a certain place for 7 years?
They built new homes for people with limited means or were seniors here in our small texas town.

They did have to own the land. After the home was built - they did have to live there and pay taxes for a certain number of years.

The house was built for them at no charge.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:07 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
It sounds like the mother wants him to co-sign (or sign) a mortgage and perhaps a first time home buyer agreement that is either state or locally based. There are local and state programs that will assist a first time buyer.

If the mother doesn't have a job, she's not getting a mortgage for a house. She needs the son for the mortgage. As long as that mortgage is in place it's not likely he'll every be able to get another one for himself.

Old 05-12-2022, 08:08 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Someone we know (22yo guy) is being pressured by his mother to sign a "housing contract" that would require him to live in the house for 7 years--with his mother, older sister and younger brother that he currently lives with. From what I understand, they live in challenging circumstances (a tiny apartment or a mobile home) and the mom wants to buy a house. This scenario sounds like a special housing situation--perhaps for immigrants or poverty-level families.
His mother immigrated from Mexico decades ago. There is no husband/father in the picture and it sounds like all 3 kids have different fathers. The kids are all US citizens. The older sister has a young child with no husband/father in the picture. It's my understanding that the mother may be attempting to get her citizenship but she has no job. The older sister supposedly has a job, but the 22 yo son is basically supporting his family with a minimum wage job and has been filing taxes as head of household for the past few years. To me, it sounds like they are using him and if he is forced to sign this "contract" he will not be able to move on with his life (more education, pursue marriage etc). His mother and siblings are putting immense guilt and pressure on him to do this for them so they can have a house, and he is very torn and stressed about this. The son is not in a financial situation to move out on his own. But I personally think he should try to find some friends to live with and break free from his family.

Have you heard of a housing purchase program like this for immigrants? Could this pressure from his mother/siblings be seen as duress?

As was already said, the son is a US citizen so it won't be an immigrant program.

My opinion is it is a first time low income home buyer program of some sort. You thread would be better in the real estate section where someone may know.

I personally do not see how he will even qualify if he's only making minimum wage. I really don't think he has anything to worry about. It's very hard for someone with a good job and credit history to qualify for a housing loan. I can't see a 22 year old with a poor job and probably no credit history qualifying for one.

We just sold our house, my almost 40 year old son applied for a loan, he was able to qualify. Back when he was younger, he tried to qualify for a car loan, he needed me as cosigner.

Old 05-13-2022, 06:04 AM

15,424 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
They built new homes for people with limited means or were seniors here in our small texas town.

They did have to own the land. After the home was built - they did have to live there and pay taxes for a certain number of years.

The house was built for them at no charge.
The one situation I know of, there was a way out. If you sold them property, you would not get any of the profit until a certain number of years, and once you were past that, you would only get 50%. The other 50% goes to the county that helped with the costs. The point is that there should be some way out of a contract that “forces” someone to live somewhere, right?

Old 05-13-2022, 07:57 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
The one situation I know of, there was a way out. If you sold them property, you would not get any of the profit until a certain number of years, and once you were past that, you would only get 50%. The other 50% goes to the county that helped with the costs. The point is that there should be some way out of a contract that “forces” someone to live somewhere, right?
Of course. You can't be 'forced' to live somewhere, but instead there are usually hefty penalties for defaulting on the agreement to live there. I think the contract we signed had penalties for renting the property out, using the home for any kind of business, not using it as a primary residence, and for selling before a set time period.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:27 PM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
True. But even if he were to sign this "contract" - would they be checking to see if he was living there?

My aunt had one of those homes built. She passed last year, but I think she had already met the time. And now her grandson lives there.

Old 05-13-2022, 02:47 PM

9,431 posts, read 5,194,093 times
Quote:
Someone we know (22yo guy) is being pressured by his mother to sign a "housing contract" that would require him to live in the house for 7 years--with his mother, older sister and younger brother that he currently lives with. From what I understand, they live in challenging circumstances (a tiny apartment or a mobile home) and the mom wants to buy a house. This scenario sounds like a special housing situation--perhaps for immigrants or poverty-level families.
His mother immigrated from Mexico decades ago. There is no husband/father in the picture and it sounds like all 3 kids have different fathers. The kids are all US citizens. The older sister has a young child with no husband/father in the picture. It's my understanding that the mother may be attempting to get her citizenship but she has no job. The older sister supposedly has a job, but the 22 yo son is basically supporting his family with a minimum wage job and has been filing taxes as head of household for the past few years. To me, it sounds like they are using him and if he is forced to sign this "contract" he will not be able to move on with his life (more education, pursue marriage etc). His mother and siblings are putting immense guilt and pressure on him to do this for them so they can have a house, and he is very torn and stressed about this. The son is not in a financial situation to move out on his own. But I personally think he should try to find some friends to live with and break free from his family.

Have you heard of a housing purchase program like this for immigrants? Could this pressure from his mother/siblings be seen as duress?
No, never heard of it.

Old 05-13-2022, 03:46 PM

174 posts, read 132,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
True. But even if he were to sign this "contract" - would they be checking to see if he was living there?

My aunt had one of those homes built. She passed last year, but I think she had already met the time. And now her grandson lives there.
His mother may put pressure on him to stay there. Even if he decides to live somewhere else, he likely wouldn't be able to rent an apartment bc they usually do a credit check and they would see he has other financial responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration