Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:29 AM

26,645 posts, read 28,497,238 times

Advertisements

I'm not even aware that you need immunizations to immigrate to the United States...as far as I know a medical examination by a civil surgeon is sufficient, and that's only if you are applying for a green card.

Yes, you definitely do need immunizations to immigrate to the USand the extensive medical exam is by Immigration approved doctors.If you are just talking about staying in another country for 90 days on a visitors visa, that's a whole different story. You just go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 01:19 PM

2,013 posts, read 3,540,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm not even aware that you need immunizations to immigrate to the United States...as far as I know a medical examination by a civil surgeon is sufficient, and that's only if you are applying for a green card.

Yes, you definitely do need immunizations to immigrate to the USand the extensive medical exam is by Immigration approved doctors. If you are just talking about staying in another country for 90 days on a visitors visa, that's a whole different story. You just go.
I don't think this applies to all immigrants, just the ones from specific countries. I migrated few years ago and frequently travel, and have never been asked for proof of immunization. Not once.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 PM

387 posts, read 589,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
In the last couple of months reading this website I'm astounded by the numbers of people from where ever who put up posts like "I want to move to Timbuktu, what are the average winter temperatures and which are the best school districts?"

I have an important announcement for anyone wishing to migrate to another country: it is extremely difficult to change countries.

So many people seem not to have heard that most countries do not welcome foreign workers and foreign immigrants; that there are strict visa regimes, legal requirements, residency permits, work permits, immigration quotas. Various meandering ever-changing governmental policies for migrants, exclusionary regulations. ALL OVER THE WORLD.

Moving to any other country from whatever country you currently have citizenship in, is between difficult to impossible. Particularly if you are in a working age group.

So stop with the nonsense. If you want to move worldwide--do your due diligence homework--before you come here asking about moving to countries which have the best beaches and where are the best neighborhoods.

Geez.
Well it depends if you are poor with no education no country will let you immigrate If you are rich every country will welcome you and if you are well educated most countries in western world accept you
Moreover nearly every country in the universe will let you study in their country if you are smart and can afford the tution or are smart enough to get a scholarship

Old 10-01-2011, 02:03 AM

2 posts, read 3,587 times
Default Lines between countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Just hopped on a plane, did you? Did you even bother check about immunizations, etc. before just hopping on a plane to go to another country? Incidentally, those "government rules" are in place for a reason. You aren't part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
THE problem? Which "the problem" are you referring to?

Most of the government BS is just power tripping by bureaucrats who think they have some god-given right to lord it over the rest of us. They also want us all fearful about stepping out of our little roles society has placed us in.

I'm serious, folks. If you want to see the world, see the world!

Sure, check immunization requirements, check other things the bureaucrats tell us we have to do, but don't dismiss it because it's "too hard". It's not - and believe me, it's indescribably awesome to know what's out there. Like describing color to someone who is color blind.

Don't let the 1984ish lines between countries make you believe what O'Brien wants you to believe. If you just accept what Big Brother tells you, you'll never know the truth. (Read _1984_ by George Orwell, then read _Orwell's Revenge_ by Peter Huber.)

Old 10-01-2011, 06:57 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,996,781 times
I have "changed" countries many times: I lived in Germany, the Netherlands, the US, and Costa Rica - and legally, at that. I only have one nationality. I currently live in the US (legally) but could still go back to any of these other countries and live there legally as well.

Moving abroad isn't exactly easy, but it is possible nonetheless. A lot of thought and research is usually required and I think the OP is addressing only those people who have absolutely no clue that is is not possible to simply get up, fly over, and stay happily ever after.

Somebody above stated the he lived in Costa Rica for four years - but I am pretty sure some of that time was spent as a perpetual tourist. While doing so allows a person to stay (at least under Costa Rican law), said person is not able to work legally. They are also not considered immigrants. Of course, once Costa Rican born children come into play, the parents can never be deported, even if they never file for residency. They must also be re-admitted after leaving the country because their offspring is Costa Rican.

Those rules, however, are individual to each country.

BTW, Americans can and do go to Cuba quite a bit. Of course, while there, they all are "Canadian."

As for immunizations, I can say that I have never been to a single place were a particular immunization was required if you only visit. I have, however, been to Columbia and flew back to Costa Rica and the regulations in Costa Rica required a vaccination. That's it. To put this in perspective: I fly internationally roughly 30 to 40 times a year and the countries I fly to change constantly. Of course, there are vaccination requirements if one is to legally immigrate - the US, for example, has a rather lengthy list...

Old 10-19-2011, 09:17 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,665,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Sage View Post
Well obviously if he successfully immigrated to Costa Rica the Costa Rican government was fine with it.

And did you know that as an American, you can go nearly anywhere in the world you like as a nonimmigrant on a tourist visa for up to 90 days? That's of course excepting the usual gang of Iran, N. Korea, Cuba, etc. Last I checked no immunizations are required. I'm not even aware that you need immunizations to immigrate to the United States...as far as I know a medical examination by a civil surgeon is sufficient, and that's only if you are applying for a green card.
If and American wants to go to BRICS countries like Brazil, Russia, India, China, he/she needs to apply for visa in advance.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:21 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,665,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigrs99 View Post
Well it depends if you are poor with no education no country will let you immigrate If you are rich every country will welcome you and if you are well educated most countries in western world accept you
Moreover nearly every country in the universe will let you study in their country if you are smart and can afford the tution or are smart enough to get a scholarship

Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,412,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
I think there are key differences here. If you want to move to Europe or a Commonwealth country from a non-EU or non-Commonwealth country and actually live, work, and settle there for the future, then yes, it is going to be difficult, costly, and time consuming. If you want to country hop for a while by stringing together a bunch of 3 month stays, then sure, you are living in a country but are you really living there? I lived in Sweden for 6 months by extending my visitor visa, but seeing as I didn't have permission to work, then it wasn't as though I was 100% ingrained in the Swedish way of life.

Commonwealth members have a lot of opportunities that folks in the US don't have to move to another part of the world and try to establish themselves. The US has some pretty high walls for even temporary immigration, and especially for permanent residency. Ease of immigration is going to be determined by your place of origin and your place of destination with a time componentt. I most certainly agree with the OP comment that folks do need to do their due diligence a bit better though - but I think a lot of that comes down to global naivete.
Global naïveté! That's something that many Americans suffer from!
Most things are possible regarding immigration. You might have to get a Masters degree, learn a new language ,sit professional examinations and then find a job. Of course it might be easier to get married or have a baby in the country you want to live in!
Thankfully we don't all give up when we read a post like the one from the OP!

Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 AM

66 posts, read 160,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Sage View Post
Well obviously if he successfully immigrated to Costa Rica the Costa Rican government was fine with it.

And did you know that as an American, you can go nearly anywhere in the world you like as a nonimmigrant on a tourist visa for up to 90 days? That's of course excepting the usual gang of Iran, N. Korea, Cuba, etc. Last I checked no immunizations are required. I'm not even aware that you need immunizations to immigrate to the United States...as far as I know a medical examination by a civil surgeon is sufficient, and that's only if you are applying for a green card.

Well, it's not that easy to live legally in Costa Rica. My parents were from Spain and moved to Costa Rica in 1976. They had to renew their resident permit EVERY single year by going to the immigration office and doing all the paperwork. Even when 3 of their 4 kids were born in Costa Rica and got "Tico" passport.

My mother had his own business, she had 6 people legally employed at home and paid all taxes. Now we are living in Spain since 1990 and I am about to move to the US in 3 months.

BUT, I agree with whom wrote that first post. If you want to move to another country, you've got to LEARN about that country, know their rules, law, people, you've got to ask about what does people do and know a little about their way of life to be a part of the GOOD people living there.

We are moving due to my husband's work, he lived in NY for 7 years while studying and fell in love with the US. Ours is not a "ah! I've been there for holidays and would like to stay forever".

BTW, I'm one of those asking about neighborhoods, people and trivial things but I've done so just because I don't want to go there and be "the rude European girl next house"
You would be surprised of how different things are from one country to another.

Yes, I also agree with that thing said about vaccinations and good health before moving.
Here in Europe we are having again some illnesses which were erradicated a bunch of years ago due to unhealthy immigrants who don't give a s**** about it. And that's not fair.

I'm not moving to the US to bother anybody (Hope so!!) I just want to mix as much as possible, pay our taxes, respect the law and give our kids an American flag to thank that country for receiving us. That's all.

Old 10-25-2011, 03:28 AM

66 posts, read 160,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I don't think this applies to all immigrants, just the ones from specific countries. I migrated few years ago and frequently travel, and have never been asked for proof of immunization. Not once.

Well, my husband also travels a lot and he HAS been asked for immunization and, in Rusia, even asked for VIH tests to get a frequent traveller VISA. So... it all depends on the country you are planning to travel to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration