U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 07-25-2011, 02:06 PM
 
3,623 posts, read 2,776,871 times
Reputation: 3151

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Our culture doesn't live that way though.

It's funny, but it sounds almost as if you are hinting that we should assimilate to the Mexicans way of life rather then the other way around. I always thought it was the invading cultures who were expected to assimilate
i am explaining why one may see many people in one house.the response is your fantasy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2011, 02:09 PM
 
3,623 posts, read 2,776,871 times
Reputation: 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
If your job could be done by an uneducated illegal then clearly you were overqualified. If that's the only job your education gets you then you were ripped off.

And if you have proof that this employer is hiring illegals report them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 08:04 PM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,078 posts, read 659,741 times
Reputation: 1520
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
i am explaining why one may see many people in one house.the response is your fantasy
Whatever you say.

The way I see it is if my job could be taken from an uneducated illegal, then they shouldn't be here in the FIRST place. Howsa bout that.

Love that logic. It's like saying "It's your fault you went to college and tried to improve yourself" when you should be saying "It's an outrage that college educated Americans are having to compete with immigrants (legal or otherwise) for the same jobs. Uh huh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2011, 09:52 PM
 
1,643 posts, read 2,632,314 times
Reputation: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
Yes our population is old and is getting older, but we are having immigration from all over Europe. Everybody is coming to Germany right now to at least have a job. Because Germany has a thriving economy. The most dynamic in the western world right now!!! And having a shrinking population isnt exactly a bad thing. And if things go bad Germans will tighten their belts, they always have. Germany has always been a country that lives within its means.

Germany was always in a good economic situation. When German was in a realtively bad economic situation that was still considered a good situation compared with other nations in europe. And Ireland has always been the poorest country in Europe. Their upswing was created by living beyond their means and finance economic growth by debt (The American Way). Spains economy was based on real estate and tourism. None of those two nations ever had a industrial base. Germany has been an economic superpower for decades and always will be.

But judging from your comments you probably don't know much about economics.

Standard of Living for americans will erode. Check this out Broke! 10 Facts About The Financial Condition Of American Families That Will Blow Your Mind | Benzinga.com

Jobs for the middle class have been shipped overseas. Low wage jobs have been taken by illegal immigrants. In terms of income disparity america will become a third world country!!!

And the american economy already has rebounded!!! Not for you, not for the middle class, not for the lower class. But for Wall Street.

Your a competing in a different world now! After WWII Europe was in ruins. America didnt have any competition. We live in a globalized world now. Europe is back on its feet. The Emerging Countries are on the rise. America has missed to get on the bus and will be left behind.

But you can keep sugarcoating things! And tell yourself everything will get better.

IT WON'T!!!!
Of course, it will! No question about that.

I'd never be able to reach the same level of professional development and financial freedom in Germany. I know. I spent 11 years there. You see, your life is good in Germany, and mine is good in the US.

And now, let's forget about economic analyses for a moment and return to the topic of this thread. This country (the US) offers to immigrants something that Germany (or any other European country for that matter) will never be able to offer. Yes, immer noch. Like I said before, you don't like immigrants that much. It has something to do with how welcoming and open Germany and other Europeans are to the foreigners. I know, I know, you have a lot of immigrants... who you tolerate. But, ideally, you'd rather all of them go home. Besser Kinder als Inder as they say, but there are not many kids in Germany nowadays. So yes, there are many immigrants in Germany.

And this is what this thread is all about. Like it or not, but the fact is that the US is the most welcoming and immigrant-friendly society. This is one thing that you guys are not good at, no matter how much you try. Unfortunately. Your mentality and the way of thinking are both your blessing and your curse. I doubt, it'll ever change. And because it will never change, a comprehensive immigration reform is not in the near future, although you badly need it. You can only dream about people coming and willing to integrate. And do you even want them to integrate? But, like you said, the shrinkage of population is not a bad thing, after all.

I know at least a couple of Germans in my neighborhood. All of them are professionals. They are married, with kids born here, in the US. For some reason, they don't want to go back after spending some time in the US. They say, they can't live in Germany anymore. And they have a lot of negative things to say about Germany. Not making that up. So, apparently not every German is happy in your "paradise". Don't even want to mention your Turks and other immigrants.

Not saying, Germany is a bad country. Just the opposite, one of the best countries to live in Europe. However, millions of people still dream to live in the US, many Germans and other Europeans included. You may not understand why, but Europeans still move here. I don't understand it either. But then you listen to a German or a French talking about how bad things are in their countries and how happy they are in the US, and you think: Wow! But I still agree that for the majority of Western Europeans there is no need to move here.

Your life in Germany may be good at the moment, but so are lives of many Americans. Yes, in spite of the US being not in the best shape in the moment. People still live their lives, buying new things, spending money, dining out, and believe it or not, many of them don't even realize there is a recession at the moment. You may argue that this is exactly the reason why the US is in trouble. Maybe. But this is also exactly the reason why this country will recover and continue to rock'n'roll. What? The US has almost 10% unemployment right now? It was not that long ago, Germany had 12-13% for many years.

Let's face it: With all the ills and income disparity that you mentioned, the US is a first world country with pretty high quality of life. How many countries in the world can match the high standard of living in the US? What, about 20? At most. You may speculate as much as you want about America becoming a third world country, but so can I about Germany, don't you think? You can turn economic analyses any way you want.

Yes, maybe there are things America should learn from countries like Germany. People living within their means, for example. But there are also many things Germans can learn from Americans, as well. Things I mentioned in this post, among others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 05:30 AM
 
1,305 posts, read 415,454 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Of course, it will! No question about that.

I'd never be able to reach the same level of professional development and financial freedom in Germany. I know. I spent 11 years there. You see, your life is good in Germany, and mine is good in the US.
I'm sorry for you then. A lot of people do well over here, though.

Quote:
And now, let's forget about economic analyses for a moment and return to the topic of this thread. This country (the US) offers to immigrants something that Germany (or any other European country for that matter) will never be able to offer. Yes, immer noch. Like I said before, you don't like immigrants that much. It has something to do with how welcoming and open Germany and other Europeans are to the foreigners. I know, I know, you have a lot of immigrants... who you tolerate. But, ideally, you'd rather all of them go home. Besser Kinder als Inder as they say, but there are not many kids in Germany nowadays. So yes, there are many immigrants in Germany.
I got news for you. Germany never has been an immigrant country. But last time I checked that was not really the topic of this thread, was it? Germany is a fairly homogenous country which is fairly easy to govern (The United States are the opposite). The U.S. is a very culturally diverse society (which is great) but with all that come problems as well. But anyway, whats up with those racist comments you keep writing (rather kids than indians)?


Quote:
And this is what this thread is all about. Like it or not, but the fact is that the US is the most welcoming and immigrant-friendly society. This is one thing that you guys are not good at, no matter how much you try. Unfortunately. Your mentality and the way of thinking are both your blessing and your curse. I doubt, it'll ever change. And because it will never change, a comprehensive immigration reform is not in the near future, although you badly need it. You can only dream about people coming and willing to integrate. And do you even want them to integrate? But, like you said, the shrinkage of population is not a bad thing, after all.
No, thats not what this thread is about. Its about why europeans dont immigrate to the U.S. anymore. You keep discussing off-topic. But while we are at it, yes america is a very welcoming society but so is canada, australia and new zealand. Countries that are in way better economic shape than america. And those countries only allow high skilled people in. Contrary to that america is letting every dope in who has an equivalent of a ged (through your diversity visa program). Thats why the 3rd world cheap labor is coming in and keeps inflating the wages of hard-working middle class americans. But i dont blame them, if i am a guy from bangladesh who considers a job that pays 50$ a day a great job, i would probably sell one of my kidneys to get a chance to emigrate to an country where such jobs are considered minimum wage jobs. And guess what, he is going make the same job of a middle class american for less because that's a great wage for a third world immigrant! But none of the less these things will detoriate the standard of living of the average hard-working American. And thats why america is becoming more and more a third world country.

Quote:
I know at least a couple of Germans in my neighborhood. All of them are professionals. They are married, with kids born here, in the US. For some reason, they don't want to go back after spending some time in the US. They say, they can't live in Germany anymore. And they have a lot of negative things to say about Germany. Not making that up. So, apparently not every German is happy in your "paradise". Don't even want to mention your Turks and other immigrants.
Whats your point? I know a bunch of Americans that live over here that consider Germany a great country. And they say a lot of bad things about your country. Not really a valid point to stengthen your argument.

Quote:
Not saying, Germany is a bad country. Just the opposite, one of the best countries to live in Europe. However, millions of people still dream to live in the US, many Germans and other Europeans included. You may not understand why, but Europeans still move here. I don't understand it either. But then you listen to a German or a French talking about how bad things are in their countries and how happy they are in the US, and you think: Wow! But I still agree that for the majority of Western Europeans there is no need to move here.
See we agree! Those people are the exception of the rule, though. Look at immigration statistics. And most of them who do emmigrate are transferred by there company. So its much easier for them to do well over there because they already have a foot in the door. And yes most europeans who go over there will do great. There however is the risk that they wont, so it doesnt justify to give up their high standard of living over here to maybe have a slightly better standard of living over there. And in terms of standard of living, we all know that in america 4% of the people make 60% of the money. So the gdp-per-capita argument is a little bit inflated dont you think? You have to look at median income.

Quote:
Your life in Germany may be good at the moment, but so are lives of many Americans. Yes, in spite of the US being not in the best shape in the moment. People still live their lives, buying new things, spending money, dining out, and believe it or not, many of them don't even realize there is a recession at the moment. You may argue that this is exactly the reason why the US is in trouble. Maybe. But this is also exactly the reason why this country will recover and continue to rock'n'roll. What? The US has almost 10% unemployment right now? It was not that long ago, Germany had 12-13% for many years.
Germany never had 12-13 % unemployment!!! Just for the record unemployment in Germany is 7%. But real unemployment in the U.S. is over 15 %. But hey you are probably very fortunate in life. Good for you!!!

Quote:
Let's face it: With all the ills and income disparity that you mentioned, the US is a first world country with pretty high quality of life. How many countries in the world can match the high standard of living in the US? What, about 20? At most. You may speculate as much as you want about America becoming a third world country, but so can I about Germany, don't you think? You can turn economic analyses any way you want.
Many can!!! At a lot of those 20 are in Europe. So I have proven my point once again.

And how is Germany becoming a third world country?

We have strict immigration laws and don't border on a third world country.
And by the way many Turks are hard workers who achieve a higher standard of living than in their home country. There are alot of Turks though, who want to live off the government and not contribute anything to society. In fact they want to live in their own society with their own laws within Germany. By the way thats a fair analogy to the illegal immigrants that fllood your public school and bankrupt your health care system because they never pay a single dime of social security or income tax.

Last edited by itsjustmeagain; 07-26-2011 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 AM
 
2,060 posts, read 3,038,841 times
Reputation: 1587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Whatever you say.

The way I see it is if my job could be taken from an uneducated illegal, then they shouldn't be here in the FIRST place. Howsa bout that.

Love that logic. It's like saying "It's your fault you went to college and tried to improve yourself" when you should be saying "It's an outrage that college educated Americans are having to compete with immigrants (legal or otherwise) for the same jobs. Uh huh
Sure they shouldn't be here in the first place, but your anger is misplaced. It is not the fault of the uneducated illegal that your employer feels that this particular position does not need to be filled by an educated citizen. How can you be sure that they would not have picked an uneducated citizen who was also willing to work for that little (fact is, none will, which is why illegals get hired. No other reason than $$$)? There are plenty of uneducated Americans who could do all of these jobs too you know.

Channel your anger into either finding a job that does require someone with your qualifications, or sue the college that sold you such a worthless degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM
 
5,772 posts, read 7,875,198 times
Reputation: 5706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandon View Post
Whatever you say.

The way I see it is if my job could be taken from an uneducated illegal, then they shouldn't be here in the FIRST place. Howsa bout that.

Love that logic. It's like saying "It's your fault you went to college and tried to improve yourself" when you should be saying "It's an outrage that college educated Americans are having to compete with immigrants (legal or otherwise) for the same jobs. Uh huh

College educated is a fairly wide range and says nothing. I have seen grads who could not function in a professional environment. I have seen grads who were brilliant. As employer I run a business. I run a business for profit. This means amongst other things that I will hire the person I consider suited best for the position and my business. "Made in America" maybe on t-shirt labels but it is not a job skill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 04:07 PM
 
3,623 posts, read 2,776,871 times
Reputation: 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Sure they shouldn't be here in the first place, but your anger is misplaced. It is not the fault of the uneducated illegal that your employer feels that this particular position does not need to be filled by an educated citizen. How can you be sure that they would not have picked an uneducated citizen who was also willing to work for that little (fact is, none will, which is why illegals get hired. No other reason than $$$)? There are plenty of uneducated Americans who could do all of these jobs too you know.

Channel your anger into either finding a job that does require someone with your qualifications, or sue the college that sold you such a worthless degree.
thank you--i have been trying to say this,but your post is spot on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 04:08 PM
 
3,623 posts, read 2,776,871 times
Reputation: 3151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
College educated is a fairly wide range and says nothing. I have seen grads who could not function in a professional environment. I have seen grads who were brilliant. As employer I run a business. I run a business for profit. This means amongst other things that I will hire the person I consider suited best for the position and my business. "Made in America" maybe on t-shirt labels but it is not a job skill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2011, 08:18 PM
 
1,643 posts, read 2,632,314 times
Reputation: 975
oh, itsjustyouagain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
I got news for you. Germany never has been an immigrant country.
No, I got news for you. Germany IS an immigrant country and has been for quite a while. Germany may not be a traditional immigrant country in the first place, but it is an immigrant country nevertheless, with high percentage of immigrants to the local population. Hope, you'll agree on that, although you may have no idea anyway. Of course, Germany is not as diverse as the US, but it's going there.

One thing is for sure, though. Immigrants in the US are treated much better than immigrants in Germany. You can learn from the US how you integrate your newcomers. You'll soon need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
whats up with those racist comments (rather kids than indians)?
Your translation from German is correct. I agree with you, very racist! I first heard it from somebody in Germany when I lived there. The German politician Juergen Ruettgers publicly used the expression "Kinder statt Inder" because he was against the German version of green card initiative to bring to Germany foreign IT and other professionals. It represents the level of rasism and xenophobia in Germany and other Western European countries. Nothing new here, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
yes america is a very welcoming society but so is canada, australia and new zealand. Countries that are in way better economic shape than america. And those countries only allow high skilled people in. Contrary to that america is letting every dope in
I agree about Canada. I like Canada. I spend a couple of months every year in Canada. However, once again, no country from those that you listed can offer immigrants what the US does. I mean, everybody knows about thousands of highly qualified immigrants doing dirty minimum wage jobs in Canada. Highly skilled professionals with many years of experience in their native countries. Poverty among immigrants in Canada is huge! At the same time, tons of Canadians move to the US for better life and opportunities. I hope you also know that for every American moving to Canada there are about 3-4 Canadians moving to the US. This is an old fact, as well. And this is considering that Canada's population is about 35 millions versus over 300 million in the US. Yes, all those Canadians leaving their country to move to the "dreadful" US. In addition, if you really want to know what lives of immigrants in those countries really are, read local immigration forums. It will be an eye opener for you.

As for America letting every dope in, Germany is letting in pretty much everybody, as well, don't you think so? "Germans" from all over the world returning "home", "Asylbewerber"... you name it.


My point is, Germany and Europe have problems of their own. For every fault you find in the US, I can find a (legitimate) fault in German society, and we'll go forever. However, why do that? You'll not change your opinion, and I'll not change mine. Therefore, tschuess, the Fortune 500 man, mach' es good. And don't take it all seriously, although I know, you'll. I know, Ordnung und Disziplin is very important, but Humor is even more so. Just ask any British!

By the way, I don't watch TV and don't read newspapers. Would you please let me know if the US defaults?

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 07-27-2011 at 08:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top