U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2012, 09:17 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,360,073 times

Advertisements

You won DV lottery but still denied. thats a bit strange. You had high school diploma right??? You must have worked in some capacity in your home country. that was not enough???
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperz View Post
Skills ? Yeah right .
Here's my 2 cents, i came in the US from Europe 2 years ago with an investor visa (E2) in my pocket. I had to invest money in my business, I created jobs, I also bought some real estate (cash) and i moved all the money i had (a lot by immigrant standards) in the country. I happily did it.

I also won the DV lottery but was ultimately denied because my business is....Internet related (not a field of expertise that is needed apparently, even if I am my own boss!).

So if you're unqualified, don't have any money, but can become a pool guy and you don't even speak a word of english, you're welcome to live indefinitely here, but if you're here to create jobs as I am and you bring something to the economy (jobs, taxes on a 6 figures salary, property tax, etc), well you're not, on a greencard anyway.
This is the kind of politics that led my country (FR) to an economic disaster wich made me leave in the first place, how ironic...

(sorry for my english)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2012, 04:51 AM

203 posts, read 247,471 times
Jasper

You are not an European in the USA at all but a troll.
The US is far more welcoming than the EEC if you bring money and skills.
People in Western Europe do not migrate in massive numbers to the US because they are not hungry enough. The poor have safety nets now, no more potato famines or postwar famines.
The US, the system and the people are entirely different.
I guess that some emerging markets exert now more attraction, Brazil, for example.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:08 PM

59 posts, read 68,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buahh View Post
Jasper

You are not an European in the USA at all but a troll.
The US is far more welcoming than the EEC if you bring money and skills.
People in Western Europe do not migrate in massive numbers to the US because they are not hungry enough. The poor have safety nets now, no more potato famines or postwar famines.
The US, the system and the people are entirely different.
I guess that some emerging markets exert now more attraction, Brazil, for example.
Believe what your want, i don't have to prove you anything.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,029,445 times
they ARE immigrating to usa every year A LOT OF THEM...
I would do anything to move to usa legally but i cant as american immigration system is retarded... no wonder they have so many illegal immigrants as there is almost no way to get into usa legally if you;re not rich, dont have relatives or are extremely lucky

Old 05-02-2012, 10:41 AM

22,242 posts, read 26,556,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
they ARE immigrating to usa every year A LOT OF THEM...
I would do anything to move to usa legally but i cant as american immigration system is retarded... no wonder they have so many illegal immigrants as there is almost no way to get into usa legally if you;re not rich, dont have relatives or are extremely lucky
An odd post from someone whose profile indicates from the listed zip code that they live in the state of Georgia, USA.

Notwithstanding, I see from another post that you were born in Poland and have lived in several EU countries and now apparently reside in England. Have you ever bothered to check the UK immigration laws to ascertain how difficult it is for a US citizen to gain entry to live and work there? I'd give it a try if I were you before you label the US immigration laws as "retarded". Consider yourself fortunate that as an EU citizen you have the option of working in many different countries.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:30 AM

6 posts, read 42,288 times
nzrugby

Never said many Australians want to immigrate to U.S., but to many Americans, you are preferred over those from Third-World countries. With your European ancestry and English language, you would assimilate more easily than those with totally dissimilar cultures. Your culture is much more like ours than India, Pakistan, and Mexico, for example.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
This is just patently false. Way more native born people use the welfare system than do immigrants. And welfare isn't much of a taxpayer burden - Social Security and Medicare are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post

Family migration is limited to immediate family (spouses, parents, children, siblings)

It does no such thing. It simply removed the quota system which allowed many more Northern Europeans to enter than Southern Europeans, Asians and others.

This is taken from the Center for Immigration Studies

In 2009 (based on data collected in 2010), 57 percent of households headed by an immigrant (legal and illegal) with children (under 18) used at least one welfare program, compared to 39 percent for native households with children.

Immigrant households’ use of welfare tends to be much higher than natives for food assistance programs and Medicaid.

Immigrant households with children used welfare programs at consistently higher rates than natives, even before the current recession. In 2001, 50 percent of all immigrant households with children used at least one welfare program, compared to 32 percent for natives.

Households with children with the highest welfare use rates are those headed by immigrants from the Dominican Republic (82 percent), Mexico and Guatemala (75 percent), and Ecuador (70 percent). Those with the lowest use rates are from the United Kingdom (7 percent), India (19 percent), Canada (23 percent), and Korea (25 percent).

The states where immigrant households with children have the highest welfare use rates are Arizona (62 percent); Texas, California, and New York (61 percent); Pennsylvania (59 percent); Minnesota and Oregon (56 percent); and Colorado (55 percent).

We estimate that 52 percent of households with children headed by legal immigrants used at least one welfare program in 2009, compared to 71 percent for illegal immigrant households with children. Illegal immigrants generally receive benefits on behalf of their U.S.-born children.

Illegal immigrant households with children primarily use food assistance and Medicaid. In contrast, legal immigrant households tend to have relatively high use rates for every type of program.

High welfare use by immigrant-headed households with children is partly explained by the low education level of many immigrants. Of households headed by an immigrant who has not graduated high school, 80 percent access the welfare system, compared to 25 percent for those headed by an immigrant who has at least a bachelor’s degree.

An unwillingness to work is not the reason immigrant welfare use is high. The vast majority (95 percent) of immigrant households with children had at least one worker in 2009. But their low education levels mean that more than half of these working immigrant households with children still accessed the welfare system during 2009.

If we exclude the primary refugee-sending countries, the share of immigrant households with children using at least one welfare program is still 57 percent.

Welfare use tends to be high for both new arrivals and established residents. In 2009, 60 percent of households with children headed by an immigrant who arrived in 2000 or later used at least one welfare program; for households headed by immigrants who arrived before 2000 it was 55 percent.

For all households (those with and without children), the use rates were 37 percent for households headed by immigrants and 22 percent for those headed by natives.

Although most new legal immigrants are barred from using some welfare for the first five years, this provision has only a modest impact on household use rates because most immigrants have been in the United States for longer than five years; the ban only applies to some programs; some states provide welfare to new immigrants with their own money; by becoming citizens immigrants become eligible for all welfare programs; and perhaps most importantly, the U.S.-born children of immigrants (including those born to illegal immigrants) are automatically awarded American citizenship and are therefore eligible for all welfare programs at birth.

The eight major welfare programs examined in this report are SSI (Supplemental Security Income for low income elderly and disabled), TANF (Temporary Assistance to Needy Families), WIC (Women, Infants, and Children food program), free/reduced school lunch, food stamps (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program), Medicaid (health insurance for those with low incomes), public housing, and rent subsidies.

Concern that immigrants may become a burden on society has been a long-standing issue in the United States. As far back as colonial times there were restrictions on the arrival of people who might become a burden on the community; however, restrictions on burdensome immigrants are no longer the case

Yes, the 1965 Immigration Law was changed to include just about the entire world, but it is discriminatory against those of European ancestry.

Prior to that law, immigration was restricted to preserve U.S. demographics, her European ancestry, although, I would have included all European countries.

Our European Founding Fathers formed the country for Europeans. They warned about allowing others into the country. Review your history to see what they said.

The law discriminates both those of European ancestry and Americans with European ancestry.

There are Europeans who do want to come here, but must wait which could be years. There also are those of European ancestry in Africa, suffering from abuse at the hands of their rulers, who do want to come, but the U.S. is basically ignoring their cries for help, but 80,000 uneducated, unskilled refugees from Somalia were allowed last year.

More than any other ancestry, Europeans have jobs or start businesses of their own when they arrive. They are the least likely to go on welfare. They are more likely to be educated, speak English, and assimilate faster because of similar cultures. They are the ideal immigrant for our country.

And...immigration from Third-World countries is forcing a minority status on those of European ancestry in the U.S. While those of European ancestry do have a lower birth rate than others, huge numbers of immigrants are forcing them to become a minority in their own country at a much faster rate. This means less say in government and change in culture and government. All of that equals discrimination against Americans of European ancestry and many do not approve. It's 'We the People,' not 'We the President and Congress.'

During debate on the Senate floor about the 1965 Immigration bill, Ted Kennedy, speaking of the effects and public concerns for the act, said:

"First, our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually.”

“Under the proposed bill, the present level of immigration remains substantially the same.”

“Secondly, the ethnic mix of this country will not be upset.”

“Contrary to the charges in some quarters, [the bill] will not inundate America with immigrants from any one country or area, or the most populated and deprived nations of Africa and Asia.”

“In the final analysis, the ethnic pattern of immigration under the proposed measure is not expected to change as sharply as the critics seem to think.”

"Congress was saying in its debates, 'We need to open the door for some more British doctors, some more German engineers. "It never occurred to anyone, literally, that there were going to be African doctors, Indian engineers, Chinese computer programmers who'd be able, for the first time in the 20th century, to immigrate to America."

When asked about the number of people from India who would want to immigrate to the United States, Dean Rusk told the Senate Subcommittee on Immigration and Naturalization: "The present estimate, based upon the best information we can get, is that there might be, say, 8,000 immigrants from India in the next five years. In other words, I don't think we have a particular picture of a world situation where everybody is just straining to move to the Unites States."

Historian Otis Graham, professor emeritus of the University of California at Santa Barbara, says that when he first started studying the 1965 immigration law, he assumed that politicians at the time had lied about the law's potential consequences in order to get it passed.

The majority of the public were vehemently against it. He addressed their concerns, but everything he said would not happen did happen, yet, the law has not been changed.

Here is one example of discrimination.

A German student graduating from an American ivy league university with a 4.0 grade average in engineering was not permitted to stay, but Indians with 3.0 grade averages in engineering were.

One of the current problems, as I see it, U.S. companies are clamoring for foreign workers because of lower wages, even though there are Americans who can do the work. It's more likely, those from Third-World countries will accept much lower wages than Europeans.

There is a great deal of immigration fraud.

Our government hires many minorities, immigrants included, at the U.S. Immigration Department. Some have been found to favor their own kind when processing immigration papers.

Despite laws against sponsoring cousins, etc., they get here, somehow.

The Chinese produced a manual on how to immigrate so they can get on welfare and Social Security in the U.S.

These are just a few examples of fraud.

Last edited by Faberge; 05-03-2012 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Format editing

Old 05-03-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperz View Post
Skills ? Yeah right .
Here's my 2 cents, i came in the US from Europe 2 years ago with an investor visa (E2) in my pocket. I had to invest money in my business, I created jobs, I also bought some real estate (cash) and i moved all the money i had (a lot by immigrant standards) in the country. I happily did it.

I also won the DV lottery but was ultimately denied because my business is....Internet related (not a field of expertise that is needed apparently, even if I am my own boss!).

So if you're unqualified, don't have any money, but can become a pool guy and you don't even speak a word of english, you're welcome to live indefinitely here, but if you're here to create jobs as I am and you bring something to the economy (jobs, taxes on a 6 figures salary, property tax, etc), well you're not, on a greencard anyway.
This is the kind of politics that led my country (FR) to an economic disaster wich made me leave in the first place, how ironic...

(sorry for my english)
You are a good example of discrimination against those of European ancestry. The reason they gave you is an excuse. What about Amazon, eBay, Facebook, Twitter, Google, all internet companies that have become very successful.

Those of European ancestry who own farms, suffering from financial hard times, haven't been able to receive loans from banks or the government, but the government buys them, then either gives the farms to Mexicans or provides loans to them at very low rates. That is discrimination.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
An odd post from someone whose profile indicates from the listed zip code that they live in the state of Georgia, USA.

Notwithstanding, I see from another post that you were born in Poland and have lived in several EU countries and now apparently reside in England. Have you ever bothered to check the UK immigration laws to ascertain how difficult it is for a US citizen to gain entry to live and work there? I'd give it a try if I were you before you label the US immigration laws as "retarded". Consider yourself fortunate that as an EU citizen you have the option of working in many different countries.
but i dont live in georgia and never lived there.
british immigration system is far from perfect but its not as retarded as american one. i mean its REALLY BAD, and because of that there is so many illegal immigrants in usa.

i never had to care about uk immigration as im european so i can live in any european country... i just wish i could that in us lol

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM

210 posts, read 279,152 times
Western Europeans resent the US and US lifestyle and are much happier with their system of government and social services at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration