U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 10:04 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,323,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I agree totally, it is almost impossible unless you work for a company that sends you over here and you already have that visa....or win the green card lotery...and still it is hard.
UK citizens are NOT permitted to enter the Green Card lottery. I've no idea whether the same ruling applies to the rest of Western Europe.

And British politicians still naively believe that there's a "special relationship" between the UK and the US!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2009, 03:42 PM

184 posts, read 748,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
UK citizens are NOT permitted to enter the Green Card lottery.

T
here is an exception to that. People born in Northern Ireland are allowed to enter.
Quote:
I've no idea whether the same ruling applies to the rest of Western Europe.
Countries become ineligible when more than 50000 people from that country have immigrated into the US in the previous 5 years. The UK has been well above that limit for a while, but as far as I know all the other countries in western Europe are below the limit so able to enter.
Quote:
And British politicians still naively believe that there's a "special relationship" between the UK and the US!
Well, maybe there is a "special relationship" between the politicians

Old 07-12-2009, 04:19 PM

9,723 posts, read 14,297,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I am German and I would still emigrate to the US, but it has become too difficult. When you are not rich, talented, gifted, etc., you are not welcome. The way I see it, there are pros and cons when comparing the US to Europe:

Pros:
- size of the country, and the "felt freedom" that comes with it. Europe can be a bit "tight" sometimes.
- speaking English and Spanish is enough to live anywhere in the country.
- lower taxes and prices.
- more pragmatic approach to everything.
- distance from certain neighbors such as Russia and the Muslim world.
- on average friendlier and more optimistic.

Cons:
- excessive stress on business.
- lack of history, culture, and style.
- lack of physical and social security.
- too many radicals of all sorts.
- messed-up society, especially in the cities.
- bad for pedestrians.
- frequent natural disasters.
By the time I am done scratching my head I might be bald. What are you basing these statements on? Having lived in Germany, worked in UdSSR prior to the fall of the wall not to mention in the US - ???

Old 07-12-2009, 05:46 PM

22,759 posts, read 33,617,126 times
Quote:
UK citizens are NOT permitted to enter the Green Card lottery. I've no idea whether the same ruling applies to the rest of Western Europe.

Some one else already explained it...most Western European countries are still eligible...just England not. Russia, and some other countries have been allowed to enter again. Soon the new list of eligible countries will be publist. England will probable still not be eligible.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:01 PM

40,747 posts, read 38,389,476 times
Many people immigrate mainly out of need. Europeans immigrated to the USA out of need for jobs and they were looking for a better life. Now the economy in most of Europe has improved since then. In fact, some people who immigrated to the Southeast coast of Massachussetts from the Azores have returned to the Azores. Fewer people are immigrating from Europe to the USA because many people do not feel a need to leave. Many people in Europe who do immigrate, however, immigrate to other European nations. Example, the people of Bosnia. The city of St. Louis,MO has the largest Bosnian population in the USA. With that in mind, there are many more Bosnians living in places like Germany, The Netherlands, and Sweden as political refugees. Many Russians of German descent have been immigrating to Germany. I think part of it has to do with it being easier to go to a nearby nation. I do know one person who immigrated from Sweden. I think he did so because he just didn't the way things were in Sweden.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:45 AM

18,893 posts, read 16,346,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
By the time I am done scratching my head I might be bald. What are you basing these statements on? Having lived in Germany, worked in UdSSR prior to the fall of the wall not to mention in the US - ???
Those are the impressions I got, they are like opinions, very subjective by nature, you may not share them, but I guess many others do share them, especially if they are not from the US.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:49 AM

I think another reason is that since the European Union came about, moving from one European country to another has become so much easier. We have the same currency now, similar basic laws and stuff. So anyone can move from Portugal to Britain or Greece etc. Hardly any paperwork and fees, you just pack your stuff and leave

Old 07-15-2009, 10:57 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,297,183 times
Quote:
Those are the impressions I got, they are like opinions, very subjective by nature, you may not share them, but I guess many others do share them, especially if they are not from the US.
You have not answerd my question. What are you basing these statements on? Thank you.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:00 AM

40,747 posts, read 38,389,476 times
Quote:
I think another reason is that since the European Union came about, moving from one European country to another has become so much easier. We have the same currency now, similar basic laws and stuff. So anyone can move from Portugal to Britain or Greece etc. Hardly any paperwork and fees, you just pack your stuff and leave
Thanks for bringing that up. That is one factor I didn't consider, or even know to consider.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You have not answerd my question. What are you basing these statements on? Thank you.
Life. If you expect me to publish my CV here, forget about it
Feel free to disapprove of my impressions if you feel like they don't correspond to reality...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration