U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 12:08 PM

9,812 posts, read 14,424,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Life. If you expect me to publish my CV here, forget about it
Feel free to disapprove of my impressions if you feel like they don't correspond to reality...
I deal with enough CVs all day and am not interested.

Back to the basics of philosophy - everything is relative, nothing is obsolete. I disagree with your impressions but ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 05:04 AM

56 posts, read 208,709 times
Neuling said ''Cons:
- excessive stress on business.
- lack of history, culture, and style.
- lack of physical and social security.
- too many radicals of all sorts.
- messed-up society, especially in the cities.
- bad for pedestrians.
- frequent natural disasters.''

Perhaps one can never get a real grasp on their own country. Nor fully understand the viewpoints from other nations.
That being said, I find the idea that the United States is inferior to Europe in the realms of arts and culture to be ridiculous.
Bad for pedestrians?
Were you in Wichita Kansas?
Branson Missouri?
I get the feeling that you were terribly overwhelmed being so far away from the comforts of your tiny utopia by the sea.
Don't mistake your frustration for inadequecy on our part.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 AM

18,897 posts, read 16,489,525 times
Again, feel free to see it differently. Being European I naturally have another perspective.
Apart from Jazz I really don't see any important and/or positive culture made in the US. Everything else is only copying cultures from abroad, be it Europe or Asia or wherever.
And yes, for pedestrians the US as a whole is pretty bad. By the way, even your fellow Americans keep mentioning it in several threads. Certainly there are places like the ones you mentioned, but they are not the rule. Your Amtrak network is also kind of rudimentary compared to Europe.

"Don't mistake your frustration for inadequecy on our part"

What gives you the idea I am frustrated? Actually, I am very happy and fortunate. Nor do I see any inadequacy in myself.

Funny, you guys are reacting that way whenever someone says something negative about your country. But you did not comment on the positive things I said about it, very telling... I guess if you expected to hear only positive things, you could be called naive.

"utopia by the sea"

It is far from utopia, I could compile a list of pros and cons for it, too.

Last edited by Neuling; 07-16-2009 at 08:13 AM..

Old 07-19-2009, 10:06 AM

19 posts, read 43,713 times
Well, I don't know if I agree. I do take into account that I am replying to a post from last year and so much has changed over the course of this past year.

I am married to a European and we live in the USA. We started out in Europe and it was very hard for me to get work there, despite being legal and having papers. We moved back to the USA. He moved here for me. He was content where he was, job, food and roof over his head. Not much more, no real way to advance and save but the necessities were covered. That's part of it, people are content but antsy if they want to go further in life, financially etc

However, Europe is also experiencing a brain drain lately. Imo. The Dutch farmers have been moving out for years to parts of the USA for land purposes. The Netherlands (my spouses native country) is almost all urbanized. Other Dutch people, families, have been leaving for other countries due to a better standard of living. My spouses long time dentist just up and relocated to Belgium. I have heard of families leaving crowded Rotterdam and Amsterdam for the high Northern countries of Denmark and Sweden for more space.

I notice here in Florida, many Europeans are buying houses currently on the foreclosure market. Mainly for investment sake. I have also noticed many Dutch designers are coming to the USA and living in the big cities so they can continue with their design work. Compared to the saturated, well established Netherlands commercial design market, it is easier to make your mark in Miami or NYC then back home.

Ok, otoh, my little sister relocated to Germany. Loves it and will not return. So, go figure. ;-(

Old 07-19-2009, 10:42 AM

Yeah, that's what I meant by 'tight'. The Netherlands is so packed with people, and most of the rural land is used for agriculture, so there is not much nature left. But then again, the Netherlands is still a country with a very high standard of living, actually, I know a number of Germans who have moved there recently because the job market is better than in many parts of Germany. One of the reasons many Dutch leave the cities is that they don't like the spread of Islam. I guess it is no coincidence that the most outspoken Islam critics in Europe are from the Netherlands. I have been to Amsterdam and it indeed can be disturbing to see so many women wearing scarf and even burka.
At the same time Amsterdam and even more so Rotterdam are still two of the hippest European cities, unfortunately very expensive to live in, another reason to leave, rents are just too high for many ordinary people. I guess there are similarities to NYC in this respect.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:06 PM

22,935 posts, read 33,899,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yeah, that's what I meant by 'tight'. The Netherlands is so packed with people, and most of the rural land is used for agriculture, so there is not much nature left. But then again, the Netherlands is still a country with a very high standard of living, actually, I know a number of Germans who have moved there recently because the job market is better than in many parts of Germany. One of the reasons many Dutch leave the cities is that they don't like the spread of Islam. I guess it is no coincidence that the most outspoken Islam critics in Europe are from the Netherlands. I have been to Amsterdam and it indeed can be disturbing to see so many women wearing scarf and even burka.
At the same time Amsterdam and even more so Rotterdam are still two of the hippest European cities, unfortunately very expensive to live in, another reason to leave, rents are just too high for many ordinary people. I guess there are similarities to NYC in this respect.
Why would any one who doesn't like muslims move from Germany to Holland...where over a million legal muslims live on a population of 16 million...on top of that there are thousands illegal muslims...so it doesn't make sense. My brother in law just got a job in Germany since the job market in Holland is bad...he is a lawyer and works for the same company for 25 yrs...
I agree with skyecrafts that many people want to live Europe but due to the economy over here it is hard to give up your soc. sec. benefits and start over in the USA. She can do it because she is a citizen but most people have the uncertainty of a visa and it is hard to get here in a legal way.
I know many people who want to buy even more houses over here but since you can't stay over here for longer than 3 months the money isn't spend over here....

Old 07-19-2009, 01:11 PM

53,409 posts, read 67,732,792 times
under reported crime stats
lousy K12
low wages
unsafe streets & public transport
very expensive medical
an innate hatred of unions
disappearing job market
over the top illegal immigration
disappearing retirement
no vacations
what is wrong with europeans why dont they come here?

Old 07-19-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Why would any one who doesn't like muslims move from Germany to Holland...where over a million legal muslims live on a population of 16 million...on top of that there are thousands illegal muslims...so it doesn't make sense. My brother in law just got a job in Germany since the job market in Holland is bad...he is a lawyer and works for the same company for 25 yrs...
I agree with skyecrafts that many people want to live Europe but due to the economy over here it is hard to give up your soc. sec. benefits and start over in the USA. She can do it because she is a citizen but most people have the uncertainty of a visa and it is hard to get here in a legal way.
I know many people who want to buy even more houses over here but since you can't stay over here for longer than 3 months the money isn't spend over here....
No no, I said that a number of Dutch move away from Dutch cities because of Islam. Germans who move to the Netherlands usually do not move to Amsterdam or Rotterdam anyway, but somewhere closer to the common border, i.e. Nimwegen etc.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:27 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 1,916,256 times
My husband is CEO in a smaller IT company and makes 10k Euros net per month in Germany, has 6 weeks off, health care and all. Show me where in the U.S. such a job is waiting for him. So we enjoy our good life here, our wonderful (and almost fully paid) house and garden in an absolutely crimefree area where we can leave our (fully paid) BMWs unlocked in the carport. Plus we have no hurricanes, no earthquakes, no tornados, no floods, 4 seasons and rather good weather in general.

I don't write this because I like to brag, but to show you that not every European lives in a tiny apartment in a crowded city, has no career and doesn't get enough money to save and live a carefree life. I actually know quite a lot of people who live just like us, family and friends included. They all have good jobs/ are self employed as architects, dentists, doctors, scientists, lawyers, CEOs and such and none of them thinks about immigrating anywhere.

Nevertheless, DH and I are somehow attached to the U.S. and would move there (joined the green card lottery) and accept lower paid jobs, but as mentioned before, it is almost impossible for a European to immigrate to the U.S. legally.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
Nevertheless, DH and I are somehow attached to the U.S. and would move there (joined the green card lottery) and accept lower paid jobs, but as mentioned before, it is almost impossible for a European to immigrate to the U.S. legally.
Same with me So, did you win this year? I didn't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration