U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 05:53 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 1,929,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Same with me So, did you win this year? I didn't
Don't know. Haven't got a notification yet. I really don't expect us to win. We are never lucky with winning anything.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:38 AM

23,325 posts, read 34,475,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
My husband is CEO in a smaller IT company and makes 10k Euros net per month in Germany, has 6 weeks off, health care and all. Show me where in the U.S. such a job is waiting for him. So we enjoy our good life here, our wonderful (and almost fully paid) house and garden in an absolutely crimefree area where we can leave our (fully paid) BMWs unlocked in the carport. Plus we have no hurricanes, no earthquakes, no tornados, no floods, 4 seasons and rather good weather in general.

I don't write this because I like to brag, but to show you that not every European lives in a tiny apartment in a crowded city, has no career and doesn't get enough money to save and live a carefree life. I actually know quite a lot of people who live just like us, family and friends included. They all have good jobs/ are self employed as architects, dentists, doctors, scientists, lawyers, CEOs and such and none of them thinks about immigrating anywhere.

Nevertheless, DH and I are somehow attached to the U.S. and would move there (joined the green card lottery) and accept lower paid jobs, but as mentioned before, it is almost impossible for a European to immigrate to the U.S. legally.
MY sister and her husband were here for 2.5 yr due to being send by his job 14 yrs ago. They loved North Carolina where they lived at that time and he didn't even mind the less days off for vacation. His pay and benefits were even better here but he had to go back after 2.5 yrs and they really wanted to move back here, until a few yrs ago when his company merged with an America company and many families were send here to stay and they loved it until on a Friday the got notice of being fired. They had given up their lives in Europe and all their benefits, sold their homes, kids switched schools, etc...they had to sell their homes here in a down market and move back...they were devastated. Still he wanted to move, until more and more were fired and jobs were harder to get over here. His job as a lawyer is unsure after 25 yrs of employment at his company and he is working for the same company right now but has been trasfered to Germany. When you reach 50 it is hard in Europe to get another job. Moving over here is almost impossible if you are a lawyer and the risks are too high. From what has happened to the other families they have changed their view on America since the security is worth a lot in Europe, which is also the reason why people aren't working as hard since they know they are taking care off by the government. They liked the health system over here much better and the level of care was also way better and no waiting lists, but the risks of being out of a job with no payment is something they don't want to risk. He is scheduled to loose his job in June of next yr but already got what they call a golden handshake...and knows he will get the first yr 100% of his income without working and afterwards 70% with doing nothing...but he is planning on getting a different job...and on top of tht they can't sell their house. They were at the time "lucky" to win the cities lotery to get a lot to build on. The bought it way to high and build a too expensive home on the lot so they won't sell it easily in a economy where many people are facing losing their job, in Holland.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 AM

19,018 posts, read 16,801,043 times
Quote:
Don't know. Haven't got a notification yet. I really don't expect us to win. We are never lucky with winning anything.
Ah, you can look it up online from the 1st of July onwards

Old 07-20-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
the security is worth a lot in Europe, which is also the reason why people aren't working as hard since they know they are taking care off by the government.
I think that is a common misconception. Germans for instance work very efficiently, they get the work done and have their six weeks of paid vacation a year. Plus, most Europeans are too proud to apply for any help. But we are by and large not as fierce about careers as Americans, and I think that is a good thing. Except for Brits and Irish we don't have the Anglo-Saxon work ethic over here and I don't miss it. Most Europeans have different priorities. Most Europeans for instance are not even striving to own their own home, I have always rented my apartments. This way I am free of debt, I have never had a single cent of debt in my life, not least because I have no mortgage. Mortgages make slaves out of people.
And when I look at the USA, I don't see that the different work ethic has helped society or the economy in any way. But the high percentage of home ownership has certainly contributed to the destruction of nature as US suburbs are growing like cancer.

Last edited by Neuling; 07-20-2009 at 08:49 AM..

Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 AM

9,991 posts, read 14,705,977 times
Quote:
My husband is CEO in a smaller IT company and makes 10k Euros net per month in Germany, has 6 weeks off, health care and all. Show me where in the U.S. such a job is waiting for him. So we enjoy our good life here, our wonderful (and almost fully paid) house and garden in an absolutely crimefree area where we can leave our (fully paid) BMWs unlocked in the carport. Plus we have no hurricanes, no earthquakes, no tornados, no floods, 4 seasons and rather good weather in general.

I don't write this because I like to brag, but to show you that not every European lives in a tiny apartment in a crowded city, has no career and doesn't get enough money to save and live a carefree life. I actually know quite a lot of people who live just like us, family and friends included. They all have good jobs/ are self employed as architects, dentists, doctors, scientists, lawyers, CEOs and such and none of them thinks about immigrating anywhere.

Nevertheless, DH and I are somehow attached to the U.S. and would move there (joined the green card lottery) and accept lower paid jobs, but as mentioned before, it is almost impossible for a European to immigrate to the U.S. legally.
An so far this year you had no summer, storms, rain and nothing better in sight. Have you looked at taxation and unemployment or even economic issues lately? You must have missed last summer's tornadoes.

There is no crime-free area.

We tend to mingle with those we have common backgrounds and interests. The occasional odd ball in our circles is more for entertainment.

BMW never had an attraction for me. Neither had carports:>)

If you are good in your field the sky is the limit. 10k net is nice but not great. You have never seen some expat contracts be it BMW/Siemens/Merzedes ...?

We live in a nice gated community, house/cars/plane paid for, I work P/T from home, my Better half turned a hobby into a career, 30 paid vacation days, ... we have time to enjoy our hobbies. Would not return to Germany for all the tea in China.

Why are you willing to leave this perfect little world to face life in the US?

Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 AM

Well, violent crime the way it exists in most US cities is still absent from many parts of Europe. Of course there is the usual crimes like domestic violence, corruption etc. But no drive-by shooting and such, you can go outside without feeling the need to watch out or defend yourself.
But I would not want to live in Munich either, have done so for years, terribly boring place. It feels like it is "completed" and after some time I thought to myself, and now? Is this it? What is missing in Germany is ethnic diversity, all those white people, boring somehow. I like Black music, but Germany is infested with Metal and Punk music these days, terrible for someone like me. Brazil would be heaven to me

Old 07-20-2009, 10:29 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 1,929,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Would not return to Germany for all the tea in China.
I think that's really a good thing. For Germany.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:56 AM

23,325 posts, read 34,475,605 times
Quote:
I think that is a common misconception. Germans for instance work very efficiently, they get the work done and have their six weeks of paid vacation a year. Plus, most Europeans are too proud to apply for any help. But we are by and large not as fierce about careers as Americans, and I think that is a good thing. Except for Brits and Irish we don't have the Anglo-Saxon work ethic over here and I don't miss it. Most Europeans have different priorities. Most Europeans for instance are not even striving to own their own home, I have always rented my apartments. This way I am free of debt, I have never had a single cent of debt in my life, not least because I have no mortgage. Mortgages make slaves out of people.
And when I look at the USA, I don't see that the different work ethic has helped society or the economy in any way. But the high percentage of home ownership has certainly contributed to the destruction of nature as US suburbs are growing like cancer.
I think that depends on how you were raised and has nothing to do with being a European...All my family members and friends owned their own homes and tried to work as hard as possible to get a better life...and started out by renting.

Many Germans own expensive cars and have cheap home furniture, since they care about what others see from the outside...

Europeans are for sure not affraid of using the system and get fre money from the government...it has been showed over and over on tv that Chinees people who started businesses in Europe never use the government although they have the right to get money, they all help out their family members since they are humiliated to do otherwise....Europeans not, if they can get as much money and not work they will do so...just read the papers and if you are or ever were an employer you would know how many just came to try to get a job and do everything not to get hired just to fullfill the requirement to get their unemployment check!

Old 07-20-2009, 11:14 AM

24,671 posts, read 51,186,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Europeans are for sure not affraid of using the system and get fre money from the government...it has been showed over and over on tv that Chinees people who started businesses in Europe never use the government although they have the right to get money, they all help out their family members since they are humiliated to do otherwise....Europeans not, if they can get as much money and not work they will do so...just read the papers and if you are or ever were an employer you would know how many just came to try to get a job and do everything not to get hired just to fullfill the requirement to get their unemployment check!
I hate such generalizations! I am a European immigrant and have lived in the US for 40 years. I have been relatively well off and relatively poor, have worked all my life and plan to continue doing so, have owned property and rented property and have rented for the past 30 years. Not ONCE, not even in some very bad times and even though legally eligible, have I EVER asked for or taken government assistance or unemployment benefits.

MANY people I know have done similarly, so please don't lump us all together. Thank you.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:30 AM

9,991 posts, read 14,705,977 times
Quote:
Well, violent crime the way it exists in most US cities is still absent from many parts of Europe. Of course there is the usual crimes like domestic violence, corruption etc. But no drive-by shooting and such, you can go outside without feeling the need to watch out or defend yourself.
But I would not want to live in Munich either, have done so for years, terribly boring place. It feels like it is "completed" and after some time I thought to myself, and now? Is this it? What is missing in Germany is ethnic diversity, all those white people, boring somehow. I like Black music, but Germany is infested with Metal and Punk music these days, terrible for someone like me. Brazil would be heaven to me

Do you want articles out of today's German newspapers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration