U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 06:12 PM

19,723 posts, read 17,810,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I guess you are so different from all the people I ever met in Europe and probable not from Holland. The only way you won't receive unemployment benefits after one yr of umemployment is if you have savings...but the first year every one gets it automatically...so don't act like a hypocrite and a good samaritan just to get yor point accross. If you don't know any home owners in your family or extended family...that shows your background, since most pople who made something of their lives were smart enough to buy like people do over here and is nothing special in Europe. Renting is for people who either can't afford to buy or who are saving to by or don't have enough income to do so. We had friends who's family was on welfare and we helped him to get a job and a few years later he applied for a loan and got one and bought a small home. He was so proud to do so, the first in his family!

I have the feeling people just want to put others in boxes and put a mark on them being rconservative when it is just an average and reasonable behavior that many liberal also do in The Netherlands, just to show over here that others have a hidden agenda.
It comes across as dishonest and decribes Europeans like they aren't. Just read some newspapers and read some comments.
Of course I am not from the Netherlands. I am German, and in Germany you don't get unemployment benefits automatically. You have to go to the job center and apply for it, fill in forms and stuff. They treat you like a parasite, which is why many proud people don't go there, even though they have every right to do so. After all we finance that system while we are working.

Your view on who you think rents is quite narrow-minded. None of your generalizations apply to me. I just don't want a home of my own, it would be like a burden. I am a Gypsy inside and like to move house every year or so. Germany is great in this respect as you have laws there that are very pro-renting, apartments are of high quality, not like those ridiculous filthy holes they often let for obscene prices in Britain, where indeed your mentality is the reason for it, assuming people who rent are poor, so they don't deserve better.
Renting has several advantages, for instance it automatically leads to the mixing of ethnic groups, whereas in suburbs with single-family homes similar people tend to huddle together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 06:42 PM

269 posts, read 399,692 times
Quote:
I guess you are so different from all the people I ever met in Europe and probable not from Holland. The only way you won't receive unemployment benefits after one yr of umemployment is if you have savings...but the first year every one gets it automatically...so don't act like a hypocrite and a good samaritan just to get yor point accross. If you don't know any home owners in your family or extended family...that shows your background, since most pople who made something of their lives were smart enough to buy like people do over here and is nothing special in Europe. Renting is for people who either can't afford to buy or who are saving to by or don't have enough income to do so. We had friends who's family was on welfare and we helped him to get a job and a few years later he applied for a loan and got one and bought a small home. He was so proud to do so, the first in his family!

I have the feeling people just want to put others in boxes and put a mark on them being rconservative when it is just an average and reasonable behavior that many liberal also do in The Netherlands, just to show over here that others have a hidden agenda.
It comes across as dishonest and decribes Europeans like they aren't. Just read some newspapers and read some comments.
Why do you keep bringing up the Netherlands like you know what you are talking about? I am so confused by this - do you live there? Have you lived there? Ben je Nederlands ofzo?

You must apply for a WW Uitkering (unemployment benefits) after you lose your job, you just don't automatically start receiving a check in the mail. It does not matter if you have savings, everyone is entitled to the benefit (full time workers, that is). If you have worked only one calendar year, you receive 3 months of unemployment. You receive more, with each additional year you worked.

Oh, and in response to your previous post about the Netherlands not having any jobs - it has the lowest unemployment rate in Europe. It's also lower than most places in the US.

Please stop spouting your nonsense. You are making yourself look ridiculous.

Edit - Here you go, since you seem to know so much about the country I'm sure you won't have any problems using this uitkering calculator: http://www.ontslag-krijgen.nl/bereke...uitkering.html

Old 07-20-2009, 06:44 PM

10,988 posts, read 15,771,555 times
Quote:

Unemployment is not as cut and dry, call it black and white as it is here. There is no automatic eligibility. It is a maze of time worked, compensation, 400 Euro jobs, being available for training, own efforts to find employment, agency based effords, employment contracts... The list goes on. What you are talking about falls into the Pre-Euro-Period.

My parents bought a house in a historic (I like to call it hysteric based on restauration requirements) district. It was a basecamp. We lived there when we had to work or go to school. Four-day weekends were normal. Somehow all kids made it through school. Otherwise we were on the road. None of the kids wanted this gorgeous money pit with history, copper roof and more restrictions then a girdle.

I never owned real estate in Europe. Too much hassle to sell when you have to move in a hurry. Or in DC for that matter. We had a 2 br penthouse with view over Old Towne Alexandria. The itch to settle down just started and we looked at houses but had not planned on Dessert Storm and five days to pack/quit jobs. Considering military pay cuts back then when you moved to the front - impossible to retain a house.

Unless you think it through you can end up mortgage poor in the US and in Europe.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:49 AM

24,790 posts, read 36,401,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie28 View Post
Why do you keep bringing up the Netherlands like you know what you are talking about? I am so confused by this - do you live there? Have you lived there? Ben je Nederlands ofzo?

You must apply for a WW Uitkering (unemployment benefits) after you lose your job, you just don't automatically start receiving a check in the mail. It does not matter if you have savings, everyone is entitled to the benefit (full time workers, that is). If you have worked only one calendar year, you receive 3 months of unemployment. You receive more, with each additional year you worked.

Oh, and in response to your previous post about the Netherlands not having any jobs - it has the lowest unemployment rate in Europe. It's also lower than most places in the US.

Please stop spouting your nonsense. You are making yourself look ridiculous.

Edit - Here you go, since you seem to know so much about the country I'm sure you won't have any problems using this uitkering calculator: Berekening WW Uitkering. De WW hoogte
Read this from todays major Dutch newspaper! Funny how this article is in todays newspaper

Het aantal mensen met een werkloosheidsuitkering is in juni met 9 procent gestegen naar 239.000, zo meldt UWV Werkbedrijf, dat de uitkeringen verzorgt. Het aantal nieuwe uitkeringen steeg sterk (plus 20 procent), onder meer door de deeltijd-WW. In juni verstrekte UWV bijna 45.000 nieuwe WW-uitkeringen, bijna drie maal zoveel als een jaar geleden. Er werden 25.400 WW-uitkeringen beŽindigd, 4 procent meer dan in de maand mei. De helft daarvan werd beŽindigd, doordat mensen werk vonden.

So unemployment was 9% higher in June, 2009! 368.000 people get unemployment and Holland only has 16 million people living there...incl. babies, kids, and elderly who when the reach the age of 65 ae not working anymore...not incl. are people who are on welfare, or have to eat their savings and have no job!

Werkloosheid sterk gestegen DEN HAAG - De werkloosheid is tussen april en juni flink gestegen. Gemiddeld zaten er 368.000 mensen werkloos thuis, 16.000 meer dan in de vorige periode van drie maanden. Dat blijkt uit cijfers die het Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek dinsdag heeft bekendgemaakt.

Werkloosheid sterk gestegen - Binnenland - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [binnenland]

To threestep...it is so easy to sell your home if you aren't in Holland...we never had an easier thing. We sold 3 while being overhere and when we left Holland we first rented out our home for 4 yrs. We never went back to our home but listed it with a very good friend and realtor who did nothing other than putting it on the market...we nevr cleaned he home, neither did any one else other than maybe the tenants. It was sold within a week and we made a huge profit...we sold 2 other homes, the last one I had to go there to get my in laws stuff out after they passed away and I had 2 weeks to sell all furniture, give away stuff and have it listed...it was a great location but needed a lot of remodeling...again sold so easily after maybe 2 months and my in laws would be smiling what a profit the home made...
We only signed a paper and mailed it that was all that was needed to sell, the realtor signed at the notaris/closing agent, and it was a done deal...way different than selling over here.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 AM

269 posts, read 399,692 times
Quote:
Read this from todays major Dutch newspaper! Funny how this article is in todays newspaper

Het aantal mensen met een werkloosheidsuitkering is in juni met 9 procent gestegen naar 239.000, zo meldt UWV Werkbedrijf, dat de uitkeringen verzorgt. Het aantal nieuwe uitkeringen steeg sterk (plus 20 procent), onder meer door de deeltijd-WW. In juni verstrekte UWV bijna 45.000 nieuwe WW-uitkeringen, bijna drie maal zoveel als een jaar geleden. Er werden 25.400 WW-uitkeringen beŽindigd, 4 procent meer dan in de maand mei. De helft daarvan werd beŽindigd, doordat mensen werk vonden.

So unemployment was 9% higher in June, 2009! 368.000 people get unemployment and Holland only has 16 million people living there...incl. babies, kids, and elderly who when the reach the age of 65 ae not working anymore...not incl. are people who are on welfare, or have to eat their savings and have no job!

Werkloosheid sterk gestegen DEN HAAG - De werkloosheid is tussen april en juni flink gestegen. Gemiddeld zaten er 368.000 mensen werkloos thuis, 16.000 meer dan in de vorige periode van drie maanden. Dat blijkt uit cijfers die het Centraal Bureau voor de Statistiek dinsdag heeft bekendgemaakt.

Werkloosheid sterk gestegen - Binnenland - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [binnenland]

To threestep...it is so easy to sell your home if you aren't in Holland...we never had an easier thing. We sold 3 while being overhere and when we left Holland we first rented out our home for 4 yrs. We never went back to our home but listed it with a very good friend and realtor who did nothing other than putting it on the market...we nevr cleaned he home, neither did any one else other than maybe the tenants. It was sold within a week and we made a huge profit...we sold 2 other homes, the last one I had to go there to get my in laws stuff out after they passed away and I had 2 weeks to sell all furniture, give away stuff and have it listed...it was a great location but needed a lot of remodeling...again sold so easily after maybe 2 months and my in laws would be smiling what a profit the home made...
We only signed a paper and mailed it that was all that was needed to sell, the realtor signed at the notaris/closing agent, and it was a done deal...way different than selling over here.

Oh my god - are you real? Please do not post links to Dutch news stories when you obviously cannot read Dutch. Here is the newest unemployment figure from that very article that you so proudly posted:

Het aantal werklozen komt nu neer op 4,8 procent van de beroepsbevolking, 0,2 procentpunt meer dan in de periode tussen maart en mei.

For those that can't read Dutch (including you, Bentlebee) - this is saying that the unemployment rate is now at 4.8 percent, .02 percent higher than the period from March to May. So I am unsure of why you are posting this article as a rebuttal - as that is still lower than anywhere in the EU, and a lot of places in the US - which is what I posted.

I am still waiting on your response to the rest of my post. Perhaps something along the lines of "wow, I have no idea what I'm talking about. Thank you for setting me straight."

Old 07-21-2009, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Good for you! Our live style did not leave time for gras cutting and window washing but it was fun while it lasted.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:20 AM

19,723 posts, read 17,810,684 times
By the way, one shouldn't say Holland, Holland is only one part of the Netherlands and people from the other parts are not happy if one equals Holland and the Netherlands. Actually, the majority of the Dutch don't live in Holland

Old 07-21-2009, 10:57 AM

24,790 posts, read 36,401,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
By the way, one shouldn't say Holland, Holland is only one part of the Netherlands and people from the other parts are not happy if one equals Holland and the Netherlands. Actually, the majority of the Dutch don't live in Holland
I'm the one that can't read Dutch...it was copied and pasted from "De Telegraaf" so call the newspaper and complain and whine over there...

I guess you must at least be over 70 otherwise you wouldn't talk about Holland the way you do....

Never heard people calling it "Nederland, Holland, The Netherlands" it is all the same...only back in the days, that is why you must be an elderly person...the people used to point to Holland meaning "Noord Holland and "Zuid Holland" and a peticular part of the country....You are so lfunny the country fits 3 times Florida and fvrom east to west you can drive in like 3 hours if it wasn't for the traffic jams....from North to South in like 5 hours at the most without the traffic jams...

Wij are foreigners buying souvenirs with "Holland" on it....you are a joke!

Old 07-21-2009, 11:11 AM

??? How about moving from how to sell real estate with a profit and rent or not-to-rent and Holland versus Netherlands back to why Europeans do or do not flock to the US?

Old 07-21-2009, 12:09 PM

24,671 posts, read 53,876,793 times
Quote:
..you are a joke!
And you are very rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration