U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM

269 posts, read 382,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I'm the one that can't read Dutch...it was copied and pasted from "De Telegraaf" so call the newspaper and complain and whine over there...

I guess you must at least be over 70 otherwise you wouldn't talk about Holland the way you do....

Never heard people calling it "Nederland, Holland, The Netherlands" it is all the same...only back in the days, that is why you must be an elderly person...the people used to point to Holland meaning "Noord Holland and "Zuid Holland" and a peticular part of the country....You are so lfunny the country fits 3 times Florida and fvrom east to west you can drive in like 3 hours if it wasn't for the traffic jams....from North to South in like 5 hours at the most without the traffic jams...

Wij are foreigners buying souvenirs with "Holland" on it....you are a joke!

It's not elderly people that do not appreciate people calling it Holland. It's people who live in the other provinces. Which you would not know, because you don't live here. I doubt you ever did after reading a few of your posts.

I'm still waiting on your explanation of your previous posts, which were completely false. You stated unemployment went up 9%, when it went up .02% - ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:21 PM

22,761 posts, read 33,627,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
And you are very rude.
Weird to take things out of contest and out of the blue add a comment....but maybe we all shoudl do as a previous poster said "back to topic!"

Old 07-25-2009, 05:07 AM

17 posts, read 61,598 times
Rising standards of living is not the reason why Europeans don't immigrate to the US anymore. For instance, I would very much like to. I am actually a foreign student at NYU and I have always been excited about coming to the US. But immigration laws are a joke. Not even Obama's brother is welcome (he still lives in Kenya right?). I am doing a PhD in economics and generally, I'm having a blast in New York but as soon as I'm done with my studies, I will have to move to Europe again. I have befriended a lot of Americans, I am very much used in the American way of life (which is not that different from the West. European), I have a girlfriend here (American) and all in all I have come to love this place as much as everyone else. But that means nothing to you people...

So, the reason why Europeans don't immigrate anymore is because you guys have gone mad about immigration since 9/11. Like some Portuguese guy blew up or something.

Current immigration laws are particularly "targeting" Europeans. We can't come illegally... what are we gonna do? swim through the Atlantic ocean? Mexicans jump fences. Canadians too. We have to come legally and with the current laws that's impossible. You have to have a blood relative who's a US citizen so he/she can sponsor you. Or you can marry an American citizen. So you have to be really lucky (to have a blood relative in the US) or lie to the federal government (come on).

Old 07-25-2009, 05:24 AM

1,644 posts, read 3,831,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfellah View Post
Rising standards of living is not the reason why Europeans don't immigrate to the US anymore. For instance, I would very much like to. I am actually a foreign student at NYU and I have always been excited about coming to the US. But immigration laws are a joke. Not even Obama's brother is welcome (he still lives in Kenya right?). I am doing a PhD in economics and generally, I'm having a blast in New York but as soon as I'm done with my studies, I will have to move to Europe again. I have befriended a lot of Americans, I am very much used in the American way of life (which is not that different from the West. European), I have a girlfriend here (American) and all in all I have come to love this place as much as everyone else. But that means nothing to you people...

So, the reason why Europeans don't immigrate anymore is because you guys have gone mad about immigration since 9/11. Like some Portuguese guy blew up or something.

Current immigration laws are particularly "targeting" Europeans. We can't come illegally... what are we gonna do? swim through the Atlantic ocean? Mexicans jump fences. Canadians too. We have to come legally and with the current laws that's impossible. You have to have a blood relative who's a US citizen so he/she can sponsor you. Or you can marry an American citizen. So you have to be really lucky (to have a blood relative in the US) or lie to the federal government (come on).
We are moving to the US after 4 years of trying.
I am a RN with 26 years experience.I had to jump through so many hoops and pay out about $500 before I was even allowed to sit the US nursing exam.That process took about a year becuse the CGFNS (agency that does all the screening ) kept messing up and losing things.

I sat the US nursing exam in April 2007 and slo interviewed for a job, which I was offered.
The hospital ween't very sure about immigration so we found an immigration lawyer and paid $1000.
Then Green Card retrogression kicked in and here I am waiting! The US DOL lists nursing as a shortage occupation (since the 90s I think)-however, if you are a nurse then you do not qualify for a work visa so only option is Green Card and then you are in the queue with everyone that doesn't have a bACHELORS degree. I have a BA, but because nursing jobs don't usually demand a BA it doesn't allow you to get a work visa.
Backlog is about 4 years for GC.
As Europeans we don't get any special treatment. Australians have so many Green cards a year dedicated to them-heaven knows why-simply because there aren't many in the US I think.
Anyway my DH got his Master last year- applied for a job and got it.
Because he has a Masters,even though he has less years experience but it was the type of experience they wanted, he had no problem getting a work visa within 3 months of getting the job.The job did require a Masters degree, so he couldn't just apply for a job in a restaurant and get a visa!
Hopefully they are going to sponsor him for GC now and as he has Masters no backlog.When he gets GC I will get one too (at the moment I cannot work through his visa).At that point I could do any job I wanted-so I may go and do something totally different and not nurse at all.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
We are moving to the US after 4 years of trying.
I am a RN with 26 years experience.I had to jump through so many hoops and pay out about $500 before I was even allowed to sit the US nursing exam.That process took about a year becuse the CGFNS (agency that does all the screening ) kept messing up and losing things.

I sat the US nursing exam in April 2007 and slo interviewed for a job, which I was offered.
The hospital ween't very sure about immigration so we found an immigration lawyer and paid $1000.
Then Green Card retrogression kicked in and here I am waiting! The US DOL lists nursing as a shortage occupation (since the 90s I think)-however, if you are a nurse then you do not qualify for a work visa so only option is Green Card and then you are in the queue with everyone that doesn't have a bACHELORS degree. I have a BA, but because nursing jobs don't usually demand a BA it doesn't allow you to get a work visa.

Backlog is about 4 years for GC.
As Europeans we don't get any special treatment. Australians have so many Green cards a year dedicated to them-heaven knows why-simply because there aren't many in the US I think.
Anyway my DH got his Master last year- applied for a job and got it.
Because he has a Masters,even though he has less years experience but it was the type of experience they wanted, he had no problem getting a work visa within 3 months of getting the job.The job did require a Masters degree, so he couldn't just apply for a job in a restaurant and get a visa!
Hopefully they are going to sponsor him for GC now and as he has Masters no backlog.When he gets GC I will get one too (at the moment I cannot work through his visa).At that point I could do any job I wanted-so I may go and do something totally different and not nurse at all.
Meant to say cost around $200 for the exam and abou the same to get my nursing license.
So I am sitting as a USA RN license, with 26 years experience and a job offer unable to work. But at least we are paying out taxes LOL

Old 07-25-2009, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Meant to say cost around $200 for the exam and abou the same to get my nursing license.
So I am sitting as a USA RN license, with 26 years experience and a job offer unable to work. But at least we are paying out taxes LOL
Oh right, nurses can immigrate easily... forgot about that... but I think it's too late for me to change career! plus I'm a man... :S

Old 07-25-2009, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Oh right, nurses can immigrate easily... forgot about that... but I think it's too late for me to change career! plus I'm a man... :S
Did you read my post?

Old 07-25-2009, 05:41 AM

22,761 posts, read 33,627,238 times
Goodfellah, you are so right. The laws have become very strict and toff toward every one, but Europeans have a harder time due to what you describe. But the last years people with the same background (nationality or religion) as the 9/11 terrorist have become part of Europe. Just look how many millions of muslims are living in Europe. Of curse most of them are good people but also many of them have been traveling back and forward to their home country, have large families, etc. The government can't make a difference between original Europeans and others who became part of any of the countries so I guess we are all looked at the same way. I'm Jewish and with what my family went through during WWll and just a few came back, you would thnk they would look different to us as to people who became a Dutch citizen in the last couple of years and applies from the same country. I know whenyou play the DV you have to aply from the country of birth which should make a difference, but I understand the USA has to be very careful.

There are some weird individuals out there and even on this forum people accuse others (some have accused me ) for not having lived over there... I lived there for over 40 years, and even one of the persons is saying it isn't called Holland...(even the Dutch public sings "Hup Holland Hup" when the Dutch National soccer team is playing, you probable know this if you are from Portugal and have watched soccer.

It sounds unfair and I know how hard it is when you are here for years having friends and almost feel more American than Portugese, but unfortunately some people have ruined it for all others...just look at the flight rules and how much fun it was to go on vacation back in the days, and what it is right now....

Old 07-25-2009, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Did you read my post?
Yes. I was being sarcastic, I think.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:48 AM

38,691 posts, read 81,736,205 times
Quote:
Sure you can come illegally. You can do, notwithstanding sensational coverage of "fence-jumping," what most Mexican and Canadian and most other illegals do: get a travel visa and simply overstay it. Not that I'd advise it or anything.

And no, it's not post-9/11 travel restrictions either, though that may be a headache for the relatively few Europeans considering a move to the U.S. Immigration from Western Europe practically ended in the mid-20th century. It's not like there was a flood of European immigrants right on through the 1990s and early 2000s until we slammed the gates shut in 2001 and turned away millions of would-be European immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration