U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2009, 05:55 AM

17 posts, read 64,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Goodfellah, you are so right. The laws have become very strict and toff toward every one, but Europeans have a harder time due to what you describe. But the last years people with the same background (nationality or religion) as the 9/11 terrorist have become part of Europe. Just look how many millions of muslims are living in Europe. Of curse most of them are good people but also many of them have been traveling back and forward to their home country, have large families, etc. The government can't make a difference between original Europeans and others who became part of any of the countries so I guess we are all looked at the same way. I'm Jewish and with what my family went through during WWll and just a few came back, you would thnk they would look different to us as to people who became a Dutch citizen in the last couple of years and applies from the same country. I know whenyou play the DV you have to aply from the country of birth which should make a difference, but I understand the USA has to be very careful.

There are some weird individuals out there and even on this forum people accuse others (some have accused me ) for not having lived over there... I lived there for over 40 years, and even one of the persons is saying it isn't called Holland...(even the Dutch public sings "Hup Holland Hup" when the Dutch National soccer team is playing, you probable know this if you are from Portugal and have watched soccer.

It sounds unfair and I know how hard it is when you are here for years having friends and almost feel more American than Portugese, but unfortunately some people have ruined it for all others...just look at the flight rules and how much fun it was to go on vacation back in the days, and what it is right now....
I'm actually mixed. My mother is Portuguese and my father is also mixed/Greek-Swede. I can speak Portuguese, Greek and Swedish just like a native Portuguese, Greek and Swede can. I am also proficient in English but I have not REALLY mastered the language. So I do not really feel Portuguese. Or Greek. Or Swedish. I do not care about nationalities by the way but I think my background matches the... "general background" of many American citizens. A lot of people in the US are mixed. Most of them actually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Sure you can come illegally. You can do, notwithstanding sensational coverage of "fence-jumping," what most Mexican and Canadian and most other illegals do: get a travel visa and simply overstay it. Not that I'd advise it or anything.

And no, it's not post-9/11 travel restrictions either, though that may be a headache for the relatively few Europeans considering a move to the U.S. Immigration from Western Europe practically ended in the mid-20th century. It's not like there was a flood of European immigrants right on through the 1990s and early 2000s until we slammed the gates shut in 2001 and turned away millions of would-be European immigrants.
Hahaha thanks but I was actually joking (what's goin' on today?). I am a graduate student on a student visa. I could "extend" my visa and have all sorts of trouble but I am just not "that guy". I could also marry my girlfriend... but I am not "that guy" either. I don't wanna start my life here with any "moral" burdens. I'd rather immigrate legally or not immigrate at all. The latter is waaay more likely to happen by the way.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,010,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
I think the above post nails it. If you are making a good living, have the material things in life that you want, money in the bank, a good job and you are not oppressed why move? Why have to retool your education and/or skills. Why learn a new language and risk years of culture shock and possible discrimination. But it is not just the US. Many say that immigration by European skilled and unskilled works has dropped off to almost nothing in Australia as well, another immigrant nation. Things change and we are living in a period of change unprecedented for a couple of centuries at least.
That's a bit naive.
Many people don't have those things and furthermore may not think that some of those things are important.
There are things that people put into their quality of life "pot" that have nothing to do with money.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:12 PM

19,865 posts, read 18,294,571 times
Overstaying in Brazil is more promising because there illegal immigrants get a chance to be legalized whenever there is a presidential election, it is almost like a rule So all you have to do is move there, overstay and wait a couple of years till the next election.
Unfortunately I think it is immoral, thus I won't do it

Old 07-25-2009, 04:10 PM

589 posts, read 1,314,858 times
I thought only Brazilian citizens are allowed to vote?

Old 07-25-2009, 05:10 PM

Sure, but it is not about voting. I am talking about the more or less regular amnesty through which illegal immigrants become legal ones.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:15 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,132,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Why aren't Europeans, esp. Western Europeans immigrating to the US anymore?

I have heard 2 opposing viewpoints on the subject matter.

One side says that the current US policy, system, and diversity quotas literally discourage/restrict immigration from non-minority, white, European nations.

Other side argues that Europeans, esp. Western Europeans resent the US and US lifestyle and are much happier with their system of government and social services at home.

What gives?
Not just Western Europe, Japan and Korea, Taiwan, Singapore many places have standards comparable to the US along with SOCIALIZED MEDICINE and an Educational System.

In reality much of the US is poor and getting poorer, it isn't taxes that's doing it.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Houston View Post
Who wants Europeans here anyway.
Wow, what's wrong with Europeans?

Old 07-26-2009, 04:55 AM

Sounds funny, indeed. I mean, the ancestors of most US-Americans were Europeans themselves. But ever since they stole the land from the Indians, they keep pretending it has always been theirs

Old 07-26-2009, 05:47 AM

25,329 posts, read 37,429,857 times
Isn't it nice that America is a melting pot of cultures?

I always loved to meet people with different backgrounds and hear their stories.

Amsterdam used to be like that, now you see mostly scarfs and hear Arabic...before you would hear (specially during thesummer months), Italian, Spanish, German, French, English, Protugese, Scandinavic languages....

When you go to NY it is so nice to have Little Italy, China Town, etc... I love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration