U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 AM

53 posts, read 278,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Where did I ever say I hate immigrants?

We have a lot of immigrants, more than any other nation and people are still arriving every day. Many people on our government programs are immigrants - a disportionate number of welfare recipients are immigrants.

I am very much against bringing elderly and infirm immigrants to live here off our medicaid and other government handouts. So what if the immigrant paid some taxes.

My father, my grandfather paid their own taxes, and if their taxes paid for some of their retirement here that's certainly different than bringing in all the elderly of the world who want a USA taxpayer provided retirement. Your taxes are for your future retirement, not that of your elderly relatives who never worked here.
Did you read my post? if you are a skilled immigrant from India/china, it's close to impossible to bring your parents here. You make it sound very easy.
Also understand there are many types of immigrants. Skilled workers, Asylum seekers etc. I'm only talking about Skilled immigrants. Do you have any proof that skilled immigrants are bringing their parents and becoming a burden to the system? Again I'm not interested in other types of immigrants, I'm talking about highly skilled immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 09:18 AM

812 posts, read 2,072,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumUser View Post
Did you read my post? if you are a skilled immigrant from India/china, it's close to impossible to bring your parents here. You make it sound very easy.
Also understand there are many types of immigrants. Skilled workers, Asylum seekers etc. I'm only talking about Skilled immigrants. Do you have any proof that skilled immigrants are bringing their parents and becoming a burden to the system? Again I'm not interested in other types of immigrants, I'm talking about highly skilled immigrants.
he/she is not differentiating between immigrants very well. most legal asian/indian immigrants are not a burden on the system. they may need a jumpstart and take out business loans etc and get an educational loan but they eventually pay back in the system and benefit the country.

even if thier family members are brought over they usually take care of them as well, especially if they are old. i know this from my extended family as well as mutual acquaintances.

what i find interesting though is the ones that are the most leechlike are the ones that most americans identify with as being more american and often spurn those who are more hardworking for just superficial differences and stupidly assume those who are more 'fobish' as being the burdens. i know this from personal experience and viewing the attitudes of americans. this is another problem in that cultural similarity and patriotism is misconstrued as being a good citizen. lol

Old 07-30-2009, 10:45 AM

11,443 posts, read 16,223,286 times
Quote:
In other words -- your taxes do not cover the costs of your parents, grandparents and who ever else in your family plus your own retirement years.

An American generally begins paying taxes at age 15 to 22 and pays in for 50 to 60 years before they can retire. An immigrant arriving at age 30 or 40 will not work here long enough to pay for even their own retirement much less that of many relatives who never put in a dime.
Try this with math. I have been in collections/banking/hr so I know a bit about income/spending in the US.

How many bankruptcies have been filed in 2008 by non-citizens versus citizens?

How many work hours does a non-citizen put in versus a citizen in a comparable job environment?

How does a let's say 10-year commitment of a highly skilled H1B worker stack up against taxes paid by what the US Census considers "average income" within a given geographic market?

What is it with you and relatives of immigrants? Do you even know what it takes to get them here? Mine REFUSE to come here and I do not blame them. They would loose their medical coverage, 1/3 of their social security, have to process their savings income as capital gains for a place in a country with 10+% unemployment, rising crime, rising cost of everything but cars - the list can go on.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:02 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,321,626 times
Quote:
Yes and the way they do is to look around and have the lowest income family member do the sponsorhip because it's his income that is considered for eligibility of means tested welfare programs. A highly paid physician for example doesn't agree to be the sponsor, someone else in the family with a wage just over poverty level does.

There are immigrants with a number of highly paid children living in the USA who live off Medicaid, SSI, and food stamps. All it takes is a 5 year waiting period after bringing the elderly immigrant here and they can go for citizenship and start collecting all the handouts possible.

Family sponsorship of an immigrant should be limited to spouses and minor children. Or maybe those who sponsor their loved ones should be expected to provide all the finanical burden for them, all welfare handouts to immigrants eliminated and the barriers and wait-times removed but if the sponsor fails to hold up his end, the immigrant should return home.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Yes and the way they do is to look around and have the lowest income family member do the sponsorhip because it's his income that is considered for eligibility of means tested welfare programs. A highly paid physician for example doesn't agree to be the sponsor, someone else in the family with a wage just over poverty level does.

There are immigrants with a number of highly paid children living in the USA who live off Medicaid, SSI, and food stamps. All it takes is a 5 year waiting period after bringing the elderly immigrant here and they can go for citizenship and start collecting all the handouts possible.

Family sponsorship of an immigrant should be limited to spouses and minor children. Or maybe those who sponsor their loved ones should be expected to provide all the finanical burden for them, all welfare handouts to immigrants eliminated and the barriers and wait-times removed but if the sponsor fails to hold up his end, the immigrant should return home.
You obviously have not researched sponsorship for immigration purposes.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:58 AM

627 posts, read 1,136,501 times
I know Im going to get beat with a stick sideways for saying this but it would be better for our country if it was easier for Europeans to become citizens... at least they already speak or will learn English instead of the Mexicans and Cubans who want it "their way". Also Europeans arent coming over and jumping on the welfare boat like all of the ones who jump fences and stow away in boats.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:08 AM

53 posts, read 278,540 times
Quote:

Iím sorry to say you just donít understand anything about sponsorship. You may have to get a bit more smarter and present more facts to advance your agenda.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:50 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,757,510 times
Quote:
I’m sorry to say you just don’t understand anything about sponsorship. You may have to get a bit more smarter and present more facts to advance your agenda.
He understands just fine. Why do some of you try and obscure the truth so much? Ashamed of the situation?

After 5 years have passed, the sponsor is no longer responsible for the unemployed/retired person they brought over and the person is then eligible to apply for and, if approved, receive benefits from programs for the indigent ... funded by the taxpayers of the USA.

As it has been pointed out to me in this forum, many people would not do this because their parents are better off elsewhere and/or because they and their spouses have more class than to do that. However, the fact still remains that it is commonly done and is an added burden on the taxpayers.

How much farther into our pockets do we have to dig? With the unemployment rate and the possibility of this recession turning into a depression, this practice needs to grind to a halt. If an immigrant wants his/her parents here and their parents cannot pay for their own keep, the immigrant should pay for them. I understand that a big obstacle is health care and this is probably why they set their parents up to leach off the US government. If the parents are used to having cheap healthcare or a national healthcare plan, then they should stay where they are and take advantage of what their country offers them. Right now the USA does not have such a program. There are millions of working Americans who have no health insurance and who pay taxes so those that don't work can have medicaid and medicare. This is ridiculous.

And for the person who claims that skilled immigrants from India take YEARS AND YEARS to get their Green Card and their parents are dead or close to dead when they do, well, that is just not true like you are claiming. I know several people from India who got them and they got them via employment and it took on average six years. These people are in their early 30s and their parents are in their 50's.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 07-31-2009 at 11:13 AM..

Old 07-31-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
I know Im going to get beat with a stick sideways for saying this but it would be better for our country if it was easier for Europeans to become citizens... at least they already speak or will learn English instead of the Mexicans and Cubans who want it "their way". Also Europeans arent coming over and jumping on the welfare boat like all of the ones who jump fences and stow away in boats.
Duck! I started out as a licensed interpreter and translator and dare to say I have not a trace of an accent. A friend of mine is first-generation Cuban, English teacher and her vocabulary and pronounciation is unbelievable. Her radio shows are great.

Were someone explain this great welfare system I might be able to get on.

It is natural to feel comfortable within your own culture when your day-to-day life means dealing with a different culture/language and potentially plain mean people.

We will celebrate Christmas the way I grew up with. Thanksgiving is none of my problems but the only day of the year we sleep in, eat pizza and do not get our noses out of books.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:00 AM

16,416 posts, read 27,757,510 times
Default If you are planning to call me a liar ...

... please note these threads where the OP is clearly asking about sponsoring a parent and then getting them on public assistance:

Sponsoring parents

Permanent Resident health insurance

I find it incredible that some people on here will give advice on threads stating that "yes, your parent can apply for public assistance in 5 years" and then argue with me when I say it. Talk out of both sides of your mouth much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration