U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2009, 11:44 AM

53 posts, read 278,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
He understands just fine. Why do some of you try and obscure the truth so much? Ashamed of the situation?

After 5 years have passed, the sponsor is no longer responsible for the unemployed/retired person they brought over and the person is then eligible to apply for and, if approved, receive benefits from programs for the indigent ... funded by the taxpayers of the USA.

As it has been pointed out to me in this forum, many people would not do this because their parents are better off elsewhere and/or because they and their spouses have more class than to do that. However, the fact still remains that it is commonly done and is an added burden on the taxpayers.

How much farther into our pockets do we have to dig? With the unemployment rate and the possibility of this recession turning into a depression, this practice needs to grind to a halt. If an immigrant wants his/her parents here and their parents cannot pay for their own keep, the immigrant should pay for them. I understand that a big obstacle is health care and this is probably why they set their parents up to leach off the US government. If the parents are used to having cheap healthcare or a national healthcare plan, then they should stay where they are and take advantage of what their country offers them. Right now the USA does not have such a program. There are millions of working Americans who have no health insurance and who pay taxes so those that don't work can have medicaid and medicare. This is ridiculous.

And for the person who claims that skilled immigrants from India take YEARS AND YEARS to get their Green Card and their parents are dead or close to dead when they do, well, that is just not true like you are claiming. I know several people from India who got them and they got them via employment and it took on average six years. These people are in their early 30s and their parents are in their 50's.

Do you know the difference between EB and family based quotas?
Do you know there is something know as visa bulletin? the current wait time is 18 years.

I'm amazed to see how little people know about legal immigration, yet inject themselves into debates and expose their ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 12:16 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,805,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumUser View Post
Do you know the difference between EB and family based quotas?
Do you know there is something know as visa bulletin? the current wait time is 18 years.

I'm amazed to see how little people know about legal immigration, yet inject themselves into debates and expose their ignorance.
I know skilled immigrants from India that got their green cards a lot quicker than you say. It does not take decades like you say. That is what I was addressing. I did not say that they are bringing their parents over. The parents vary from wealthy to upper middle class in India and like it there just fine.

I'm amazed to see how people cherrypick what they will answer in debates and expose their hypocrisy by not admitting when they know something is true.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:26 PM

11,499 posts, read 16,281,258 times
One of the things that I have a hard time with in the US is the way family is often treated. A lot of people are transient and consider extended family something to deal with during holidays.

Is it not great to know what people like and want? Crystal ball?

Old 07-31-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
I know skilled immigrants from India that got their green cards a lot quicker than you say. It does not take decades like you say. That is what I was addressing. I did not say that they are bringing their parents over. The parents vary from wealthy to upper middle class in India and like it there just fine.

I'm amazed to see how people cherrypick what they will answer in debates and expose their hypocrisy by not admitting when they know something is true.
There are a few who can be educated, looks like you are not one among them.

Below are the links for other readers. Yes it takes decades.

ILW.COM - immigration news: Adjustment Of Status Interview After Decades
Visa Bulletin for July 2009 (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4512.html - broken link)
http://www.maggio-kattar.com/practice/employment/articles/Latest-Grim-Visa-Bulletin.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-31-2009, 12:34 PM

50,649 posts, read 49,979,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Are you claiming that the first settlements had religious freedom?

The Pilgrims were persecuted in Europe, agreed. But once they got themselves settled in and were on top, they did not institute any sort of "religious freedom" - on the contrary, if you didn't abide by their religious rules, they'd do what they found necessary to save your soul. Even if it meant damaging your body in the process.
New Amsterdam did. They weren't established as a religious colony, either, but as a business.

But yeah, the Puritans were hanging the Quakers not long after they finished burning the witches.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
There are a few who can be educated, looks like you are not one among them.

Below are the links for other readers. Yes it takes decades.

ILW.COM - immigration news: Adjustment Of Status Interview After Decades
Visa Bulletin for July 2009 (http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4512.html - broken link)
http://www.maggio-kattar.com/practice/employment/articles/Latest-Grim-Visa-Bulletin.pdf (broken link)
Not always. I have living proof of people for whom it took around 6 years.

Is everything absolutes for you? That is not realistic.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Not always. I have living proof of people for whom it took around 6 years.

Is everything absolutes for you? That is not realistic.
I know seven co-workers (including one who shares office space with me) who are waiting for the past 8 years for their GC.

Again, I know itís too complicated for some to understand (also for the ones who dont want to understand), but for the intelligent ones, there are certain number of GC's allotted per country/year, so based on the number of applications pending in USCIS, someone who applies for GC this year, will not have his/her GC at least till 2025.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I know seven co-workers (including one who shares office space with me) who are waiting for the past 8 years for their GC.

Again, I know itís too complicated for some to understand (also for the ones who dont want to understand), but for the intelligent ones, there are certain number of GC's allotted per country/year, so based on the number of applications pending in USCIS, someone who applies for GC this year, will not have his/her GC at least till 2025.
That has not always been the case. You act like that has always been the case forever and ever amen and therefore it would be TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE for a skilled immigrant to bring their parents over and put them on welfare and medicaid after 5 years. Remember that was what we were discussing, not the situation of people waiting for GCs right now.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 PM

29,650 posts, read 15,063,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
New Amsterdam did. They weren't established as a religious colony, either, but as a business.
Funny how that works, isn't it? In my experience, there's no divide - cultural, religious or language - that'll stand between interested parties who want to trade.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:48 AM

47,576 posts, read 58,451,957 times
Quote:

Yet a very large portion of SSI recipients are the elderly immigrants brought in by loved ones who dumped their responsibilities to them onto the taxpayers.

What's interesting is the willingness of the immigrant to leave family behind to come for American dollars, somehow that's never a problem but once they are here, they want grandparents, elderly parents, even elderly aunts and uncles to be here. Why not visit everyone back home on your vacations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration