U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 01:23 PM

549 posts, read 1,499,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
Italy is not in western Europe. You need to understand that the whole mediterranean region (Italy, Spain, Greece, etc) is considered Europe's Mexico and is Southern Europe. And that's really the best approach people should have to it.
Eastern Europe is no more perceived as a "real" part of Europe than South America is perceived as a real part of USA. Its still the americas, but its not the United States. Likewise, for Europeans, Europe is western and northern Europe. These are the places that are clustered together in collaboration, politics, economy, aspirations, and goals.

Immigrants from Eastern or Southern Europe will really - in general - not bring sufficient benefit for the U.S. America needs strong, educated immigrants who can contribute to the economy and the growth of the country.
This country is by and large filled with third world immigrants. Its not helping to improve things.
If Italy, Spain, and Greece are considered Mexico to you, then USA would be like Egypt or some low life country if we follow your standards.

Italy is a "G8 country" and Spain and Greece are both better than the U.S. when it comes to quality of life, culture, social security, mass transit systems, healthy food, healthcare, life expectancy, and education.

BTW, Mexico is not a bad country. They have vast natural resources (Oil), good city infrastructures, lots of multinational corporations, NAFTA membership, a strong tourism economy, etc. The bad part is that only the low class of Mexico is the one who jumps the border to the U.S. The educated Mexicans stay in Mexico. I would say that the low class of any country is the one who emigrates to the U.S. or some other country; people always pursue a better quality of life.

That´s why EU nationals no longer relocate to USA. Europe is a better place to live (and they have their family there). On top of this, Australia and Canada are both better countries to start a new life (compared to the U.S.) in case they have to leave Europe for some odd reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 04:53 AM

16 posts, read 47,142 times
Because they are richer than us..

Old 09-24-2009, 06:34 AM

5 posts, read 7,704 times
Well, I have a safe job, money in the bank, was able to buy a house for my family and everything, and I still applied for a green card. Our system (I am from Germany) may be well organized, regarding the great social standards including health care and all that. But I want to move as soon as possible. Why? Call me childish, but I fell in love with the United States 20 years ago when I was an exchange student in Vermont. I have been to all parts of the US over the years and getting on the plane to leave has always been a painful experience. So yes, I am planning on giving up everything I have here, (not my family, they are coming with me of course, :-)), but all the material stuff. I want to be part of a place where people interact in a much more personal and warm way. I have always been amazed at how willing everyone was to help a total stranger, no matter if it was finding a way, explaining how a gas station works over there, or all kinds of helpful acts. I am more than ready to leave a country where no friendly word is spoken, where friendliness is a weakness and where being grumpy seems to be the preferred attitude. No, thank you! Economically, I might put everything at risk with this step, but it's essential for my well-being. (That was a compliment, you guys!!)
Kerstin

Old 09-24-2009, 07:12 AM

25,338 posts, read 37,471,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerstinH. View Post
Well, I have a safe job, money in the bank, was able to buy a house for my family and everything, and I still applied for a green card. Our system (I am from Germany) may be well organized, regarding the great social standards including health care and all that. But I want to move as soon as possible. Why? Call me childish, but I fell in love with the United States 20 years ago when I was an exchange student in Vermont. I have been to all parts of the US over the years and getting on the plane to leave has always been a painful experience. So yes, I am planning on giving up everything I have here, (not my family, they are coming with me of course, :-)), but all the material stuff. I want to be part of a place where people interact in a much more personal and warm way. I have always been amazed at how willing everyone was to help a total stranger, no matter if it was finding a way, explaining how a gas station works over there, or all kinds of helpful acts. I am more than ready to leave a country where no friendly word is spoken, where friendliness is a weakness and where being grumpy seems to be the preferred attitude. No, thank you! Economically, I might put everything at risk with this step, but it's essential for my well-being. (That was a compliment, you guys!!)
Kerstin
I wish you good luck and read your post with a feeling that I totally understand what you are saying. In the Tampa forum I had an arguement with a person from germany who thinks most people here are rude and people in Germany are so friendly. I pointed out that shopping in Germany was always nice but I hated the punktlichkeit of the employees and luckily my kids didn't touch anything but even if kids came close to clothing racks, the employees are there to say that they can't be there...over here it is completely different and you feel welcome in a store and although some may say employees are "fake" when they ask "how are you", I rather have that than being ignored.
I live here for 10 years and love it from day one. I miss some Dutch food...sometimes...but overall this country is great and I think many people don't even understand how great it is since they haven't lived anywhere else.
Where do you plan to move in the USA?

Old 09-24-2009, 08:00 AM

11,694 posts, read 16,443,612 times
Kerstin, you wrote that you "applied for a GC". Can you elaborate?

Old 09-25-2009, 04:08 AM

7 posts, read 16,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerstinH. View Post
Kerstin
I understand your feelings at 100%! Changes in such circumstances are necessary to keep one sane. Life is short, pursue whatver it is that makes you happy GoodLuck!

Old 09-27-2009, 08:56 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,026,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
Italy is not in western Europe. You need to understand that the whole mediterranean region (Italy, Spain, Greece, etc) is considered Europe's Mexico and is Southern Europe.
That is not true. Both Italy and Spain are very rich countries. Maybe a racist would considered them Mexico because of darker skin tones. You obviously have never made any business in Europe. Not only they are rich but they have purchasing power.

To answer the original question, I believe is the immigration laws. There's always gonna be a good amount of people who want to immigrate for different reasons, not everybody that immigrates here does it for financial reasons. The same is true for those Americas who decide to emmigrate to other countries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...y_GDP_(nominal)

Old 09-27-2009, 02:30 PM

Thanks for your support. I hope I will find everything I am hoping to find in the US. I will for sure offer the friendliness I am looking for. So I dont think it will be too hard to be treated nicely. I am a positive person, so I believe in the positive side of a person rather than the negative one. This has been a good policy to go by so far. :-)

Have a nice day.
Kerstin

Old 09-27-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Kerstin, you wrote that you "applied for a GC". Can you elaborate?

Well, the US government offers a chance to win a green card to about 50,000 people from different countries once a year. Germany is one of the countries, and I do meet the requirements such as high school (or better), and I am hoping to be one of the lucky winners. Results will be given next summer. Such a long time.... In case I win, all my family members will be given the green card, so it will be me and my husband plus 3 kids.

We will save enough money before we move, I am getting extra education to perform even better on the job I do now (accounts payable clerk for the gov. of a 600,000 people city) and I am trying to plan ahead as much as possible.

I am mentioning that, because just the other day I found, in this forum people who complained about immigrants. They stated that we would come and wait to get welfare and suck up their taxes and everything. Which is truely unfair and doesnt apply to me and my family at all!

I want to be part of your society which means I will work, pay taxes and join in any social activity that suits me. My kids will go to high school and college later on, and I dont think my being in the US will be a disadvantage for any of the "real" americans!

I am glad most of the forum users are more friendly.

I am always open for any suggestions and helpful hints.

Looking forward to my new experience....
Kerstin

Old 09-27-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
The USA isn't viewed in high regard anymore...at least in most of Europe and parts of South/Central America.
That is not completely true. With George Bush being president of the United States, many europeans lost their faith in the country. But Obama brings new hope, which is highly appreciated all over the world. We will see how well he does, his ideas are appealing....

Kerstin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration