U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-27-2009, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Germany
5 posts, read 7,720 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I wish you good luck and read your post with a feeling that I totally understand what you are saying. In the Tampa forum I had an arguement with a person from germany who thinks most people here are rude and people in Germany are so friendly. I pointed out that shopping in Germany was always nice but I hated the punktlichkeit of the employees and luckily my kids didn't touch anything but even if kids came close to clothing racks, the employees are there to say that they can't be there...over here it is completely different and you feel welcome in a store and although some may say employees are "fake" when they ask "how are you", I rather have that than being ignored.
I live here for 10 years and love it from day one. I miss some Dutch food...sometimes...but overall this country is great and I think many people don't even understand how great it is since they haven't lived anywhere else.
Where do you plan to move in the USA?

Hi, thanks for your answer. Isnt it funny how we made the same experience? Whenever I come home from a trip to the US and tell my friends and co-workers about the open and friendly way of the american people I got in touch with, I am told that the nice-ness is just superficial and does not come from the heart. I try to explain the following then:

If I go to a store or a starbucks or whatever and am greeted in a friendly way, I dont really expect the salesperson to be totally interested in how I feel today. Just the fact that he or she asks is nice. And if I experience that friendliness several times a day I just feel good. I dont expect the service people who greet me to become my best buddies by the end of the day. Still, being asked how I feel and being offered help cant be a bad thing, right?

You asked about my plans. Well, it will be a few years before I can actually move, for several reasons:
I dont have a green card yet, but I have a feeling that within the next 2 or 3 years, it should be my turn to be lucky. ;-) I also need to save more money. I want to work right away, but I dont know how hard it will be to find a job. So I need some money for the first few weeks/months.

My husband and I are thinking of a warm place, so california is probably one of the top spots. We have been there on vacation before and liked it alot. We would like to work in a bigger place like San Francisco, but live in a smaller neighborhood. With a not so huge high school. Stuff like that.

If you have any helpful hints, I will gladly take them into consideration.
Have a nice day
Kerstin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-27-2009, 05:10 PM
 
25,351 posts, read 37,523,921 times
Reputation: 13271
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerstinH. View Post
Hi, thanks for your answer. Isnt it funny how we made the same experience? Whenever I come home from a trip to the US and tell my friends and co-workers about the open and friendly way of the american people I got in touch with, I am told that the nice-ness is just superficial and does not come from the heart. I try to explain the following then:

If I go to a store or a starbucks or whatever and am greeted in a friendly way, I dont really expect the salesperson to be totally interested in how I feel today. Just the fact that he or she asks is nice. And if I experience that friendliness several times a day I just feel good. I dont expect the service people who greet me to become my best buddies by the end of the day. Still, being asked how I feel and being offered help cant be a bad thing, right?

You asked about my plans. Well, it will be a few years before I can actually move, for several reasons:
I dont have a green card yet, but I have a feeling that within the next 2 or 3 years, it should be my turn to be lucky. ;-) I also need to save more money. I want to work right away, but I dont know how hard it will be to find a job. So I need some money for the first few weeks/months.

My husband and I are thinking of a warm place, so california is probably one of the top spots. We have been there on vacation before and liked it alot. We would like to work in a bigger place like San Francisco, but live in a smaller neighborhood. With a not so huge high school. Stuff like that.

If you have any helpful hints, I will gladly take them into consideration.
Have a nice day
Kerstin
I love Ca. but it is kind of expensive to live there otherwis we would move there right away, but Fl. is great too and much cheaper.

I know a couple of people who won the DV lottery in the past, so it is possible and I agree, stay positive and you can furfill your dreams!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 PM
 
44,625 posts, read 43,162,678 times
Reputation: 14411
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerstinH. View Post
That is not completely true. With George Bush being president of the United States, many europeans lost their faith in the country. But Obama brings new hope, which is highly appreciated all over the world. We will see how well he does, his ideas are appealing....

Kerstin
I can personally say that the Bush jr. administration is the worst administration I have ever lived through. I war that sucked this nation of alot of money, money I may add, that could have been used for other things sorely needed in this nation. The way Katrina was handled.
I don't blame some people for not coming here. Many of the people I met who come to this nation from other nations make it perfectly clear they don't like Bush. Some people I know have moved to other countries. I have a friend who was born in the USA who wants to leave the USA. The way things have been, well, I am glad Bush only gets two terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Texas
989 posts, read 2,146,265 times
Reputation: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Why aren't Europeans, esp. Western Europeans immigrating to the US anymore?

I have heard 2 opposing viewpoints on the subject matter.

One side says that the current US policy, system, and diversity quotas literally discourage/restrict immigration from non-minority, white, European nations.

Other side argues that Europeans, esp. Western Europeans resent the US and US lifestyle and are much happier with their system of government and social services at home.

What gives?

Western European economies are fairly strong right now. Because by far most people consider emigration only for economic reasons, most western Europeans would rather stay at home as long as they can provide for themselves economically.

We do have plenty of willing immigrants from Russia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and other countries with weaker economies. For example, a recent poll showed that 33% of all Mexicans would emigrate to the U.S. if given the chance:

Survey: 75 pct of Mexicans unhappy with country, 33 pct would immigrate to US if they could -- dailypress.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 AM
 
1,340 posts, read 2,432,696 times
Reputation: 749
Not exactly Europe but a Canadian General once told me that Canada is such a nice country because all the greedy a-holes move to California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 AM
 
228 posts, read 578,028 times
Reputation: 157
Winning the DV doesnt always mean either that you get the GC- your name was picked but they pick more than the number of GCs available. So... if you are picked with a 'high' number and they fulfill the quota ahead of time with qualifying people- you may have won the lottery but not won the GC.

Kerstin- did your husband apply as well in the lottery to double your chances?

That being said- my Swede won right off the bat on his first try- with a low number-so 'miracles' can happen. The bloom came off the rose pretty quick for him though- low-end jobs and fighting to get the money together to complete university and then realizing what a scam university is in the US (even though we were able to manoeuver into a position where hes able to attend a Top 25 school for instate tuition). Really though, we are quite unhappy in the US and will probably move in the next two years (waiting out his 5-yrs to citizenship now) to pursue other opportunities elsewhere. I cant live with this level of anxiety and uncertainty anymore and the feeling that the deck is perpetually stacked against us. If moving back to Sweden or the UK or somewhere else means I can have a stable life without the bottom falling out from under me at any moment- even if its less "exciting" than the US- then Im all for it.

Its interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,960,537 times
Reputation: 7250
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
Winning the DV doesnt always mean either that you get the GC- your name was picked but they pick more than the number of GCs available. So... if you are picked with a 'high' number and they fulfill the quota ahead of time with qualifying people- you may have won the lottery but not won the GC.

Kerstin- did your husband apply as well in the lottery to double your chances?

That being said- my Swede won right off the bat on his first try- with a low number-so 'miracles' can happen. The bloom came off the rose pretty quick for him though- low-end jobs and fighting to get the money together to complete university and then realizing what a scam university is in the US (even though we were able to manoeuver into a position where hes able to attend a Top 25 school for instate tuition). Really though, we are quite unhappy in the US and will probably move in the next two years (waiting out his 5-yrs to citizenship now) to pursue other opportunities elsewhere. I cant live with this level of anxiety and uncertainty anymore and the feeling that the deck is perpetually stacked against us. If moving back to Sweden or the UK or somewhere else means I can have a stable life without the bottom falling out from under me at any moment- even if its less "exciting" than the US- then Im all for it.

Its interesting
Some of us who are citizens may follow you out because the deck in the US is perpetually stacked against the middle class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 05:09 PM
 
Location: God's Gift to Mankind for flying anything
5,173 posts, read 10,492,139 times
Reputation: 3969
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
Really though, we are quite unhappy in the US and will probably move in the next two years (waiting out his 5-yrs to citizenship now) to pursue other opportunities elsewhere.
Somewere I lost you ....
You say :
*we are quite unhappy in the US*.
OK, I can understand that.
Then you say :
*will probably move in the next two years*
(waiting out his 5-yrs to citizenship now)

Hmmm .... You are unhappy, but are willing to suffer for two more years ...
For what reason ??
I assume that as a USA citizen you are getting something worthwhile to endure two more years of suffering ?!?!?!

Something fishy here ....
Care to share what it is that is so important that you are willing to wait for it ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2009, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Nassau, Long Island, NY
16,416 posts, read 27,960,537 times
Reputation: 7250
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Somewere I lost you ....
You say :
*we are quite unhappy in the US*.
OK, I can understand that.
Then you say :
*will probably move in the next two years*
(waiting out his 5-yrs to citizenship now)

Hmmm .... You are unhappy, but are willing to suffer for two more years ...
For what reason ??
I assume that as a USA citizen you are getting something worthwhile to endure two more years of suffering ?!?!?!


Something fishy here ....
Care to share what it is that is so important that you are willing to wait for it ???
I know someone else like that. She came over from India to study, got a good job in the US, got her Green Card, etc. But she misses India and her family terribly and could never make a good match and get married here. Last time she visited India, she went on some interviews and was offered a good job. She is not going to move out right away and take the job, but will stick around here until she gets dual citizenship with the USA. Reason? "Just in case" it doesn't work out back home in India. She thinks that if she just leaves now with only a GC, she may never get back in the USA again. (I don't know how true this actually is, but that is what she thinks.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2009, 03:31 PM
 
1,644 posts, read 4,016,010 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Western European economies are fairly strong right now. Because by far most people consider emigration only for economic reasons, most western Europeans would rather stay at home as long as they can provide for themselves economically.

We do have plenty of willing immigrants from Russia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and other countries with weaker economies. For example, a recent poll showed that 33% of all Mexicans would emigrate to the U.S. if given the chance:

Survey: 75 pct of Mexicans unhappy with country, 33 pct would immigrate to US if they could -- dailypress.com
I would disagree.
Have you looked at the cost of living in the UK, just as an example. Many people go to the US for a better quality of life, which may or may not have a financial focus.
One of the main reasons that Europeans aren't coming is because of the lack of availability of employment based Green cards, even if you have a job offer.
Current wait if you are from the UK is 7 years, once your petition has been approved, which takes about 6 months.
There are currently more than 200,000 people who have had petitions approved and are waiting for employment based GC.
70,000 of those are from countries other than India,China, Phillipines and Mexico.
Only those with Masters degrees with offer of job that requires a Masters can immigrate more quickly with work visas. Oh-and supermodels and internationally recognised sports people. On a work visa your spouse cannot work.

UK citizens can't apply for the lottery.

Last edited by susan42; 09-30-2009 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top