Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 03:40 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,544,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
Winning the DV doesnt always mean either that you get the GC- your name was picked but they pick more than the number of GCs available. So... if you are picked with a 'high' number and they fulfill the quota ahead of time with qualifying people- you may have won the lottery but not won the GC.

Kerstin- did your husband apply as well in the lottery to double your chances?

That being said- my Swede won right off the bat on his first try- with a low number-so 'miracles' can happen. The bloom came off the rose pretty quick for him though- low-end jobs and fighting to get the money together to complete university and then realizing what a scam university is in the US (even though we were able to manoeuver into a position where hes able to attend a Top 25 school for instate tuition). Really though, we are quite unhappy in the US and will probably move in the next two years (waiting out his 5-yrs to citizenship now) to pursue other opportunities elsewhere. I cant live with this level of anxiety and uncertainty anymore and the feeling that the deck is perpetually stacked against us. If moving back to Sweden or the UK or somewhere else means I can have a stable life without the bottom falling out from under me at any moment- even if its less "exciting" than the US- then Im all for it.

Its interesting
See, it's a completely different game when you have pay to sit exams in the US, pay for visa screen and credential evaluation.The you have to look for, apply and secure a job, then pay out more money for attorney fees.
I fall you have to do is apply via the lottery, then not sure that demonstrates the same level of commitment as having to go through all the employment based visa/GC steps.
When it has taken you 3 years to get there with a work visa and then still need to get a GC, then I think you have fairly well demonstrated your commitment to living in the US
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 08:09 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,711,641 times
Tomorrow, October 2, the two-month entry period for the next greencard lottery will begin. Good luck to all participants, but leave one card for me, please

Old 10-07-2009, 12:34 PM

228 posts, read 664,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Somewere I lost you ....
You say :
*we are quite unhappy in the US*.
OK, I can understand that.
Then you say :
*will probably move in the next two years*
(waiting out his 5-yrs to citizenship now)

Hmmm .... You are unhappy, but are willing to suffer for two more years ...
For what reason ??
I assume that as a USA citizen you are getting something worthwhile to endure two more years of suffering ?!?!?!

Something fishy here ....
Care to share what it is that is so important that you are willing to wait for it ???

Sure- we figure that if he was lucky enough and has already put in the three years to citizenship that he may as well do the last two years, get the citizenship, and then see what happens.

Reasons: 1) hes got almost exactly that much time left to finish his degree, and will be able to get some work experience between graduating and citizenship papers come through- it would be foolish to move him now to yet another program when hes only got 3 semesters left and 2) who knows what the future may hold? Get the citizenship and there are no more future hassles/costs associated with Green Cards or entry or what have you.

Yes, I am a US citizen, and Ive lived all over this country as well as two others, and frankly I just dont enjoy it or see my future being here. Ive been looking into overseas grad programs I can complete while hes finishing up here- although that wouldnt start until next fall. So, we will see. Obviously with the economy the way it is decisions arent to be taken too lightly!

Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 PM

228 posts, read 664,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
See, it's a completely different game when you have pay to sit exams in the US, pay for visa screen and credential evaluation.The you have to look for, apply and secure a job, then pay out more money for attorney fees.
I fall you have to do is apply via the lottery, then not sure that demonstrates the same level of commitment as having to go through all the employment based visa/GC steps.
When it has taken you 3 years to get there with a work visa and then still need to get a GC, then I think you have fairly well demonstrated your commitment to living in the US
True- but at least you have a decent job with a work visa! Coming in on diversity- with the bare minimum requirements they have (seriously- only high school level education?!) kinda drops folks right in it at a level they may not be used to at home- especially if they dont have a degree. Its always difficult learning a new country's labor market and requirements, and yet somehow you still need to eat and afford medical care and (most likely) some form of transport. Moving here on any scheme is not for the faint-hearted, but folks can pull the plug at any time- by not sitting those exams in the US or choosing to not follow through on their lottery win. Im not sure one group is more committed than another to living in the US, but I would wager that there are plenty of Diversity winners who are just scraping by, and will scrape by, for years on years to attain some level of comfortable existence, relative to what they had "back home".

Old 10-07-2009, 01:52 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,711,641 times
I have heard many negative things about the US labor market and the way employees are treated and expected to behave. I would not even try to get to the US if I had to work for American companies. Should I win a green card, I would continue to work for my existing clients.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:41 PM

Quote:
True- but at least you have a decent job with a work visa! Coming in on diversity- with the bare minimum requirements they have (seriously- only high school level education?!) kinda drops folks right in it at a level they may not be used to at home- especially if they dont have a degree. Its always difficult learning a new country's labor market and requirements, and yet somehow you still need to eat and afford medical care and (most likely) some form of transport. Moving here on any scheme is not for the faint-hearted, but folks can pull the plug at any time- by not sitting those exams in the US or choosing to not follow through on their lottery win. Im not sure one group is more committed than another to living in the US, but I would wager that there are plenty of Diversity winners who are just scraping by, and will scrape by, for years on years to attain some level of comfortable existence, relative to what they had "back home".
Well maybe the difference is that the people on work visas had to work hard to research the labor market,get their Masters degree in the first place and then find a job that required a Masters to apply for and get!
Whereas diversity visa is a far easier thing to apply for.
People need to do their homework before moving to another country whatever visa they go on.
BTW there are no guarentees of an immigrant visa following on from a work visa, so you could end up back where you started after 3 years.
I wondered what sort of salary you would attach to a "decent" job associated with a work visa? Bear in mind that spouse can't work when partner is on work visa and may have family to support too.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:16 AM

24,328 posts, read 10,691,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
GC lottery - you have to meet the qualifications. It is basically a lottery to win an application. You pay fees, medical, credential evaluations, have to look for a job ...

Employer based visa - you came with a safety net. Depending on your negotiation skills your and your family's flights, shipping of household, setting up household, medical coverage ... was part of the contract and normally the return to your country of origin as well. Where do you see the commitmen?

There is no requirement to use an attorney's services for immigration in the US. That is a personal choice.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:36 AM

24,328 posts, read 10,691,080 times
Quote:
Do you think only diversity winners "scrape by". I reluctantly took a European visitor in his late 70s to "where those people who have to work two jobs" live. He was shocked at what he saw.
When were you visiting the wrong side of the tracks of your town? Or visit the local Social Security Office - I call it applied studies in local anthropology?
Most immigrants have a network or will have one in no time. I have seen it time over and over in Asians and Europeans. It is one of the reasons some people have an issue with them:>) Even after years I let someone with a decal cut in in rush hour traffic:>)
A few go back. Some let it go. Mostly for economic reasons. Especially with the recent market changes.
Americans are not trained across the board in other languages. As example - Germany: mandatory 5th grade English or Latin, 7th grade French or an option.
My family neither scrapes nor scraped, everyone speaks/writes at least two languages on a native non-accent level, is active in the community, in some sort of school no matter what age, works and worked in professional positions and have no debt. That is one of the "odd" ways of immigrants - cash or pooling resources.
Check out the requirements on diversity visas. US high school curriculum versus some European 10-12 year school systems.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
GC lottery - you have to meet the qualifications. It is basically a lottery to win an application. You pay fees, medical, credential evaluations, have to look for a job ...

Employer based visa - you came with a safety net. Depending on your negotiation skills your and your family's flights, shipping of household, setting up household, medical coverage ... was part of the contract and normally the return to your country of origin as well. Where do you see the commitmen?

There is no requirement to use an attorney's services for immigration in the US. That is a personal choice.
I highly doubt that any employer will sponsor you for either a GC or work visa withot using an attorney!
your and your family's flights, shipping of household, setting up household, medical coverage ... was part of the contract and normally the return to your country of origin as well.
None of the above actually.And we still did it because we are commited to living in the US as a family.
What exactly is the safety net?
If people don't like it, why apply for the diversity lottery?
What are the requirements? Min high school diploma?
The people going for diversity visas that only have high school dip don't have another option for a visa, short of marrying a US citizen or student visa.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Do you think only diversity winners "scrape by". I reluctantly took a European visitor in his late 70s to "where those people who have to work two jobs" live. He was shocked at what he saw.
When were you visiting the wrong side of the tracks of your town? Or visit the local Social Security Office - I call it applied studies in local anthropology?
Most immigrants have a network or will have one in no time. I have seen it time over and over in Asians and Europeans. It is one of the reasons some people have an issue with them:>) Even after years I let someone with a decal cut in in rush hour traffic:>)
A few go back. Some let it go. Mostly for economic reasons. Especially with the recent market changes.
Americans are not trained across the board in other languages. As example - Germany: mandatory 5th grade English or Latin, 7th grade French or an option.
My family neither scrapes nor scraped, everyone speaks/writes at least two languages on a native non-accent level, is active in the community, in some sort of school no matter what age, works and worked in professional positions and have no debt. That is one of the "odd" ways of immigrants - cash or pooling resources.
Check out the requirements on diversity visas. US high school curriculum versus some European 10-12 year school systems.
Sorry-can you explain this please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration