U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-18-2009, 12:46 PM
 
1,644 posts, read 4,013,251 times
Reputation: 442

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't know. Sometimes I think free health care is a good thing. What if you needed major surgery, expensive surgery and you were short on money? The "don't get sick" argument doesn't work with me because sometimes it happens.
"free"healthcare? Who gets that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2009, 01:06 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,312,135 times
Reputation: 7955
Yes, free health care is not free. It only means that it is run by the state and paid for via taxes. Basically health care systems are always financed by the taxpayer, be it with private or state-run systems. The difference is that the latter implement an egalitarian component as the health care received is not dependent on one's income. So in the end people with higher income finance not only their own health, but especially that of people with lower income. I like that redistribution
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 02:03 PM
 
44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Reputation: 14375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, free health care is not free. It only means that it is run by the state and paid for via taxes. Basically health care systems are always financed by the taxpayer, be it with private or state-run systems. The difference is that the latter implement an egalitarian component as the health care received is not dependent on one's income. So in the end people with higher income finance not only their own health, but especially that of people with lower income. I like that redistribution
My last surgery was over 100,000 US dollars(broken spine, go figure). I never want anyone to go through that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 02:16 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,680 posts, read 11,896,336 times
Reputation: 7884
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Actually-I agree with KirstenH.Just because people don't speak in Oregon doesn't mean that is the case everywhere else in the USA. I have found that in the few states I have visited it is more likely that people will speak.
Remember, it isn't just the USA that has changed over the years.
We left the UK for many reasons, and one of them was the fact that people are often rude and selfish.Oneof the others was the ridiculous cost of living.
For us it was our dream too, but that doesn't mean we we didn't do our homework in the 2 years it took us to make the decision.
I wonder if you have ever lived in Europe and if not how many times you have visited?
Your healthcare system may be a problem, as is the system here in the UK, however I think that many Americans don't acknowledge how good they have it (and that isn't aimed directly at any person)

Actually I have lived in Europe. Germany for 3 years and Japan for 2 years, and my family is from Ireland. I am originally from the Boston area. I mentioned that people would be more apt to know their neighbors in the New England area, and I still feel that way. Much of the USA is so transient that the smaller towns are about it any more for neighborliness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 02:33 PM
 
44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Reputation: 14375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Actually I have lived in Europe. Germany for 3 years and Japan for 2 years, and my family is from Ireland. I am originally from the Boston area. I mentioned that people would be more apt to know their neighbors in the New England area, and I still feel that way. Much of the USA is so transient that the smaller towns are about it any more for neighborliness.
New England sounds most likely to have those small towns where people know their neighbors. New England has had the longest history of organized population(no places in the South have townships, places like MA, NH, CT and other states do.)

I lived in a town that was very small and I could go years without talking to my neighbors. I live in an apartment complex in a city of 30,000 people and I know nothing about my next door neighbor, or anyone else in the complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 02:56 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,312,135 times
Reputation: 7955
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
My last surgery was over 100,000 US dollars(broken spine, go figure). I never want anyone to go through that.
Sounds horrible, I hope you have recovered. Accidents can hit anybody anytime, and there is no reason even for an anonymous society to not help those who need help when they simply don't have the means to pay the bills themselves. We are not savages who simply abandon injured members of society, even animals such as elephants don't abandon injured individuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 03:05 PM
 
44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Reputation: 14375
I have thought about this since I was 14, 15 years old. It basically started with the racial tension I had in school. I started reading books about other nations such as The Netherlands, Norway,etc. I started taking French as a second language. I seriously considered living in The Netherlands, Germany, France, or the UK. Another influence was LinkTV. I would see many of these interesting places on TV. Living in the rural areas 30 miles outside of Atlanta, I got bored easily and wished that I lived in those areas I saw on TV. Today I know better than to think that there are places without prejudice. Still, many places in Europe still have an allure, a certain interest in me. I still have it in me to want to travel, to see different places. I still think about living in places like France, Switzerland, The Netherlands, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 03:07 PM
 
Location: SWE
887 posts, read 1,334,249 times
Reputation: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't know. Sometimes I think free health care is a good thing. What if you needed major surgery, expensive surgery and you were short on money? The "don't get sick" argument doesn't work with me because sometimes it happens.
I'm not at all saying that the single-payer system itself is bad, but it's not free. I hate when people mention that word, because many of us work like dogs and pay insane taxes to support all these "free" services. Money does not become any "better" no matter how many bureaucracies you send it through. I wish it was only "free" healthcare that the people here feel they are absolutely entitled to, just because they exist. I can't say if the single-payer system is the best possible way of arranging healthcare, but as of now, nobody here has come up with any better ideas. and it has worked quite good so far.

Last edited by Vic_Vega; 10-18-2009 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 03:09 PM
 
44,564 posts, read 43,103,689 times
Reputation: 14375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sounds horrible, I hope you have recovered. Accidents can hit anybody anytime, and there is no reason even for an anonymous society to not help those who need help when they simply don't have the means to pay the bills themselves. We are not savages who simply abandon injured members of society, even animals such as elephants don't abandon injured individuals.
I have recovered, although I still have back pain occasionally. I can walk, that I am thankful for. I still think it would be great if the USA had free healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2009, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Lakeland, Florida
6,680 posts, read 11,896,336 times
Reputation: 7884
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I have recovered, although I still have back pain occasionally. I can walk, that I am thankful for. I still think it would be great if the USA had free healthcare.
I am glad you are doing well. Yes I hope this country is able to get this Healthcare issue taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top