Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 12:36 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
You know, it isn't the jihadists that scare me as much as my own government. They scare me of course, but my own governmnet allowed 9/11 to happen so Bush and his cronies would have an excuse to invade Iraq, and they had the Iraq invasion planned before 9/11 even happened.
Damn 1 more time.
When did the hijackers arrive in the USA?
When did they learn to fly those planes?
Who allowed them to slip in, attend aviation school?
And the CIA knew they were here but were prevented from communicating such knowledge to the FBI because someone built firewalls to prevent such communication.
This was determined by a bi-partisan commission.
These things all took place long before GWB took office.
So explain to me again how it was all part of GWB's secret plan to launch a war.
On one hand we have folks say how stupid GWB is. Then on the other we hear about this master plan. Which is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 01:46 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,924,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Damn 1 more time.
When did the hijackers arrive in the USA?
When did they learn to fly those planes?
Who allowed them to slip in, attend aviation school?
And the CIA knew they were here but were prevented from communicating such knowledge to the FBI because someone built firewalls to prevent such communication.
This was determined by a bi-partisan commission.
These things all took place long before GWB took office.
So explain to me again how it was all part of GWB's secret plan to launch a war.
On one hand we have folks say how stupid GWB is. Then on the other we hear about this master plan. Which is it?
Clinton is no angel by far and neither was Bush SR. or any other politician. Reagan had a big part in this long ago when he was in office also. One would be surprised at how the government manipulates the populace via the media to make it look otherwise.

BTW, the bi-partisan commission was nothing more than a farce in the first place.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:32 PM

792 posts, read 3,136,508 times
On a micorlevel I think a few of the initial seeds of 9/11 were sow'd on US soil under George Sr. but really blossomed/balloned (like on steroids) under 8 years of Bill & Hill. By time GWB came in it was too late, if Gore was president it would still have happened.

On a macro level I blame a flawed US Middle East foreign policy of 5-6 decades coupled with an extremely lax and liberal homeland/immigration policy. People try to assign blame to the parties (democrats and republicans) but from my prospective I assign a good chunk of the blame on the US media (removing my PC hat).

Old 07-26-2008, 05:44 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Let me interject something here:

In the Seventh Century: it was the so-called Christians who were the barbarians------remember the Dark Ages? That was a European thing.

From about 700 to 1400 Islamic culture was the one of tolerance, education, science, etc.

Somewhere around the Reformation/Renaissance: Christian and Islamic cultures basically reversed roles with the former in ascendency and many Muslims today living worse than the Caliphate days.

Just not seeing alot of jihad-free time here down through the centuries:

www.historyofjihad.com/sitemap.html

Actually the Christian Crusades were in retaliation against centuries of jihad and warfare by muslims upon them. Guess they just got tired of the abuse.... But nowhere in islamic history is this remarked upon, no hint of apology or regrets. And never will be. Because, it is an absolute obligation and command by allah to wage jihad on all infidels, force them to convert, or death is the eventuality. So until there is a massive reformation of this theocratic politico-military machine, we will continue to see their devastation waged upon the planet.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:34 PM

952 posts, read 3,705,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Why aren't Europeans, esp. Western Europeans immigrating to the US anymore?

I have heard 2 opposing viewpoints on the subject matter.

One side says that the current US policy, system, and diversity quotas literally discourage/restrict immigration from non-minority, white, European nations.

Other side argues that Europeans, esp. Western Europeans resent the US and US lifestyle and are much happier with their system of government and social services at home.

What gives?

Many of us just don't feel the need to move to the North America anymore. This is no longer the land of opportunity like it used to be.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:41 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,493,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
Many of us just don't feel the need to move to the North America anymore. This is no longer the land of opportunity like it used to be.
Yeah, the quality of life is now higher in many of those countries of traditional emigration, i.e. Ireland.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 PM

3 posts, read 15,862 times
Europeans do not immigrate that much for two reasons:

1. their standard of living is similar or they do not quite belong to an empoverish economic class

2. the European culture is not the same as in other countries where one immigrant will work or go via various legal loops/gaps to bring over all his village or very extended family.
Eventually on L visas? One might need to look into an L chain to see if there is a real need or just a way to immigrate easy and legally. Champagne immigrants, maybe?

Idem on some other businesses which should reatain their national character etc, etc...

There is also a third note:

3. All imigrants to the US are immigrants and somewhat protected by their visible minority status but the Europeans who can not benefit of the positive actions and generally are just labeled "whites" regardless that they face the same hardship as anybody else when immigrating.

At the end all are people and immigrants.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter13 View Post
Europeans do not immigrate that much for two reasons:

1. their standard of living is similar or they do not quite belong to an empoverish economic class

2. the European culture is not the same as in other countries where one immigrant will work or go via various legal loops/gaps to bring over all his village or very extended family.
Eventually on L visas? One might need to look into an L chain to see if there is a real need or just a way to immigrate easy and legally. Champagne immigrants, maybe?

Idem on some other businesses which should reatain their national character etc, etc...

There is also a third note:

3. All imigrants to the US are immigrants and somewhat protected by their visible minority status but the Europeans who can not benefit of the positive actions and generally are just labeled "whites" regardless that they face the same hardship as anybody else when immigrating.

At the end all are people and immigrants.
What I bolded also applies to White Mexicans, etc.

And there is a huge difference between legal immigration and being here illegally.

Old 06-17-2009, 05:21 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Since I responded a year ago on this post things have changed. Many Europeans are still not happy with the things that are going on over there regarding the muslim population and the recent voting for the European Parlement has showed how most Europeans moved from voting left to the right....BUT even these concerns can't bring Europeans to really immigrate to the USA, although they really want to, since the uncertainty of getting a job in the USA and kepping a job if you can get one, is too much of a risk to move an entire family.

It cost a lot to move over here and many people who worked at a company in The Netherlands and were send abroad, meaning the USA, have lost their job after moving here within a year. The comapny was sold to a American company and they cut down on jobs and leaving many of these families with no other option than return back to Europe....They already had sold their homes, enrolled the kids in schools over here and build a life over here...their dream was shattered and reality sank in...this happened when the housing market was just starting to plunge...so they bought when the market was high and had to sell when hardly any one was buying so they really lost a lot...these stories are out there in the news in Europe, so no wonder that less people want to move here. In Europe they would have gotten at least a year of unemployment benefits at 100% and later at 70% of their last earned salary...When they got fired here, it was a different ball game...

Old 06-17-2009, 08:14 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
Another reason why many people do not come to the US any more is because it's getting harder and harder to get a visa...
We did not have problems getting ours since my husband had been given a position in a big international company used to sending Europeans to the US, but there are many people who'd like to come here and can't get a visa at all...
Actually, if you want to settle in the USA but don't have a job before applying (and an kind employer ready to fill in all the papers asked by the US embassy), then your chances to suceed are close to zero!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration