U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 09:14 AM

22,760 posts, read 33,627,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Another reason why many people do not come to the US any more is because it's getting harder and harder to get a visa...
We did not have problems getting ours since my husband had been given a position in a big international company used to sending Europeans to the US, but there are many people who'd like to come here and can't get a visa at all...
Actually, if you want to settle in the USA but don't have a job before applying (and an kind employer ready to fill in all the papers asked by the US embassy), then your chances to suceed are close to zero!
That is called..logical...what do you want them to do here without a job...the same as people wanting to live abroad without a job...nobody wants people who need a bailout or hand out first....
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 11:43 AM

10,665 posts, read 7,116,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
That is called..logical...what do you want them to do here without a job...the same as people wanting to live abroad without a job...nobody wants people who need a bailout or hand out first....

Sure, but the thing is: you can't get a visa (the one that includes the right to work here) and settle in the US if you don't have a job. But it's hard to find a job if you don't live in the USA already. Especially since you need a social secutity number, which you can't have if you don't have... that visa!
This means that unless you are relocated here with your firm, it's very difficult to cross the border.
So you'll tell me: you can always come with a tourist visa and see if you can find a job (and a nice employer ready to offer you the position before you get the visa and the SS number - which I believe may be scarce). But it costs an arm and a leg to come to the US from overseas and stay in a hotel/whatever and eat etc during your stay. Meaning it's almost impossible to succeed!
I don't mean anybody should get a visa. I just say it's more compicated, so many people just give up.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:27 PM

24,837 posts, read 12,284,569 times
Default Intra-European immigration has become much easier, as well.

If you're a European with an urge to strike out and try something new, the entire Eurozone is now open to you - there's a modest amount of paperwork, true, but you have the right and it's just a matter of jumping through hoops. This, btw., goes for the bartender and bicycle courier as well as for the architect.

If you want to emigrate to the US through employment, you need a Bachelor's or similar, and an employer who's willing to sponsor you for a position in your field. You're not allowed to hunt for jobs when entering the US on a tourist visa. You can't take a dishwasher job to survive while looking for something in your field.

In practical terms, we're talking H-1B visas. And those kinda suck. Your spouse can enter, but won't be allowed to work. You're tied to your employer - if you're laid off, you have 60 days to find annother employer to sponsor you. Under those conditions, is it a big surprise that people aren't clamoring?

Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 PM

804 posts, read 1,110,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If you're a European with an urge to strike out and try something new, the entire Eurozone is now open to you - there's a modest amount of paperwork, true, but you have the right and it's just a matter of jumping through hoops. This, btw., goes for the bartender and bicycle courier as well as for the architect.

If you want to emigrate to the US through employment, you need a Bachelor's or similar, and an employer who's willing to sponsor you for a position in your field. You're not allowed to hunt for jobs when entering the US on a tourist visa. You can't take a dishwasher job to survive while looking for something in your field.

In practical terms, we're talking H-1B visas. And those kinda suck. Your spouse can enter, but won't be allowed to work. You're tied to your employer - if you're laid off, you have 60 days to find annother employer to sponsor you. Under those conditions, is it a big surprise that people aren't clamoring?

The funny thing is that a lot of U.S. citizens think that it's easy to migrate to the U.S., they think that it's just a matter of submitting your paperwork, paying your fee, and waiting for your turn. While in reality to became eligible to do so it's the hard part.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:33 PM

53 posts, read 270,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
The funny thing is that a lot of U.S. citizens think that it's easy to migrate to the U.S., they think that it's just a matter of submitting your paperwork, paying your fee, and waiting for your turn. While in reality to became eligible to do so it's the hard part.
And they have successfully managed to make the average Joe think that it’s easy to get here. Thanks to N*****usa and progr****rs guild (aka losers guild)

Old 06-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Sure, but the thing is: you can't get a visa (the one that includes the right to work here) and settle in the US if you don't have a job. But it's hard to find a job if you don't live in the USA already. Especially since you need a social secutity number, which you can't have if you don't have... that visa!
This means that unless you are relocated here with your firm, it's very difficult to cross the border.
So you'll tell me: you can always come with a tourist visa and see if you can find a job (and a nice employer ready to offer you the position before you get the visa and the SS number - which I believe may be scarce). But it costs an arm and a leg to come to the US from overseas and stay in a hotel/whatever and eat etc during your stay. Meaning it's almost impossible to succeed!
I don't mean anybody should get a visa. I just say it's more compicated, so many people just give up.
I agree totally, it is almost impossible unless you work for a company that sends you over here and you already have that visa....or win the green card lotery...and still it is hard.

I also agree with the other poster who is stating that American's have no clue how hard it is and how much it cost to come here in a legal way!

Old 06-17-2009, 11:39 PM

549 posts, read 1,438,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Why aren't Europeans, esp. Western Europeans immigrating to the US anymore?

I have heard 2 opposing viewpoints on the subject matter.

One side says that the current US policy, system, and diversity quotas literally discourage/restrict immigration from non-minority, white, European nations.

Other side argues that Europeans, esp. Western Europeans resent the US and US lifestyle and are much happier with their system of government and social services at home.

What gives?
Europeans have a higher quality of life compared to U.S. citizens. That`s why they don`t come here anymore.

Australia and Canada are far better options to start a new life compared to USA. Those two countries are members of the Commonwealth of Nations (U.S. is not a member). The Queen of United Kingdom (Eli II) is the head of state of Canada and Australia. Both countries have low populations compared to their land areas, the unemployment rate in Australia and Canada are both very low, and both countries have universal healthcare systems. So, if Europeans want to leave Europe to start a new life, they would most likely move to those 2 countries.

Western/Latin European citizens such as Italians, Spanish, and Portuguese prefer Argentina/Uruguay/Southern Brazil/Chile over the U.S. because those South American countries are very similar (culture, ethnicity, people) to Latin Europe.

Last edited by Eduardo983; 06-17-2009 at 11:49 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 05:15 AM

Years back many Europeans immigrated to Canada and Australia only because it was way easier to move there and build up a life. I see many people first move to Canada and than try to come here...

Old 06-18-2009, 06:12 AM

47,578 posts, read 54,233,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Yes the USA has by far more immigrants than does any other nation in the world. The population of the USA is growing extremely fast and it's due mostly to immigration.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:25 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 1,909,027 times
Legal immigration should be easier and illegal immigration should be a lot harder, in the U.S. as well as in Europe. DH and I would love to live in the U.S. when we retire but even that is hard to achieve although we'll have enough money and wouldn't work. Best thing we can hope for is to live 6 months in the U.S. and 6 months in Europe which means having 2 households.

So last year we joined the green card lottery, although we'd rather live in Europe until we retire. But even the GC thing is difficult because you don't have much time to move. After all, you can't "prepare" anything because you never know if you'll win - until you have won. And you may as well do the lottery for 20 years and never win!

On this board I read so often that U.S. citizens would love to live in Europe and vice versa. If you don't need government money - why is it so difficult to move from one continent to another? It seems that immigrating illegally is so much easier. But of course that's not the route we're going to take!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration