Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 08:28 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munich View Post
Threestep, I appreciate your response

European citizenship = citizen of any EU country since it doesn't really matter much anymore which country you are a citizen in. You can live and work anywhere in the EU anyway.
Does your passport say "Europe"? Even within the EU there are some restrictions.

Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but while on a work visa such as the H1 I cannot run my own business. I couldn't even make a few extra bucks from a blog. Also, I am not allowed to engage in any other work than for the one employer who sponsors my work visa.
Who says you cannot go E2/E5 or change employers? It is all a matter of demand and supply.

Quote:
I definitely agree with you, and it is BECAUSE I have no responsibilities that I want to make a positive impact - be it in the US or anywhere else. I want to be able to try things, maybe fail and get up again to try other things. And I cannot do it in the US. It's not like I am obsessed about doing it here, but I got to love the country as much as I love Europe and would certainly like to give it a try here.
Failing in Germany - almost fee education and if everything goes wrong Hartz4 - nothing like a safety net.

Quote:
By the way I have been around the country and not just in Cali
Travelling maybe; have you lived, work, worried with diverse groups in various parts of the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 08:38 AM

58 posts, read 205,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Does your passport say "Europe"? Even within the EU there are some restrictions.
There aren't (only temporary ones for some new EU members in Eastern Europe such as Romania) - you can live and work anywhere in the European Union. A Swedish passport doesn't give you more than a French one or a German one or an Italian one.

Quote:
Failing in Germany - almost fee education and if everything goes wrong Hartz4 - nothing like a safety net.
Very true. Even more extreme in Scandinavia and France for example. Different mentalities lead to different systems.

Quote:
Travelling maybe; have you lived, work, worried with diverse groups in various parts of the country?
I have friends from various states including, CA, MI, TX, NY, FL, and others. There is still so much left to see though and I am by no means done discovering the country. Always happy to take your advice

Old 07-25-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
There aren't (only temporary ones for some new EU members in Eastern Europe such as Romania) - you can live and work anywhere in the European Union. A Swedish passport doesn't give you more than a French one or a German one or an Italian one.

You contradict yourself:>) Start researching what services and jobs are open to you in what country with your "European citizenship".

Old 07-25-2010, 09:04 AM

Come on, it's not that hard to understand: I'm a German citizen and when you enter any EU country there is a line for EU citizens (not for German citizens etc) and one for non-EU. I have friends and family all over Europe: Germans working in Spain, French working in the United Kingdom, Irish working in Italy. No special permit needed. You move there like you move from one US state to the other. Research it yourself if you don't believe me.

Last edited by Munich; 07-25-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Come on, it's not that hard to understand: I'm a German citizen and when you enter any EU country there is a line for EU citizens (not for German citizens etc) and one for non-EU. I have friends and family all over Europe: Germans working in Spain, French working in the UK, Irish working in Italy. No special permit needed. You move there like you move from one US state to the other. Research it yourself if you don't believe me.
OK - there is a line for "EU citizens" (do not forget the "s") but you are a German citizen. ust wanted to clarify your statement of being an "EU Citizen".

Old 07-25-2010, 09:49 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
The fact that you are basically bound to one employer while on such visa makes sense as their purpose is not to promote and open back doors for immigration, but instead to help out American companies who can't find the right employees at home. It is the same with almost every country by the way, not just the US.

Nor do I understand what you mean regarding failing. You can fail both over there and here in Europe, just like you can recuperate and be successful on both continents. I have lived in several European countries, people vary a lot even within each of the member states. One cannot speak of one mentality, that only tells me that the one claiming that is superficial in their observation. Sometimes we just want to be somewhere else and make up all kinds of reasons and justifications for leaving, instead of appreciating or even recognizing what one already has at home.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The fact that you are basically bound to one employer while on such visa makes sense as their purpose is not to promote and open back doors for immigration, but instead to help out American companies who can't find the right employees at home. It is the same with almost every country by the way, not just the US.

Nor do I understand what you mean regarding failing. You can fail both over there and here in Europe, just like you can recuperate and be successful on both continents. I have lived in several European countries, people vary a lot even within each of the member states. One cannot speak of one mentality, that only tells me that the one claiming that is superficial in their observation. Sometimes we just want to be somewhere else and make up all kinds of reasons and justifications for leaving, instead of appreciating or even recognizing what one already has at home.
I absolutely agree with you - I am neither judging the European systems nor the American one as I like both places for exactly how they are. If you've read my previous posts then you know that I am not thinking about moving anywhere for good. I really could not pick one...not yet. I have lived in various places and leaving was never easy whenever I was done with whatever I was doing there...

Old 07-25-2010, 10:25 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I guess part of the reason why so many people want to go to the US is language. In most places around the world children start to study English at age 9 or 10, so they speak English pretty well by the time they graduate. People are lazy, they don't want to make the effort to learn a language without applying it sooner or later. Sure, Europeans could go to Britain or Ireland, some indeed do, but both places are not exactly known for great weather (it's no coincidence that in the US typical immigration hot spots are California and the sun belt). Plus, it is no challenge to go to either country as any EU citizen can go there anytime anyway. I see it here, there are Brits, Germans and what not that have been living here for years and don't speak any Portuguese except for hello, please, thank you and good bye. That is almost impossible in countries outside the EU where we have no automatic right to be. Thus only relatively few Europeans emigrate to places where English is not the national language. Many go to Canada these days, Australia is also in demand, although it is too remote for many. Flights back home take ages and are rather expensive. So North America is the natural first choice for many Europeans who want to emigrate.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
I guess part of the reason why so many people want to go to the US is language. In most places around the world children start to study English at age 9 or 10, so they speak English pretty well by the time they graduate. People are lazy, they don't want to make the effort to learn a language without applying it sooner or later. Sure, Europeans could go to Britain or Ireland, some indeed do, but both places are not exactly known for great weather (it's no coincidence that in the US typical immigration hot spots are California and the sun belt). Plus, it is no challenge to go to either country as any EU citizen can go there anytime anyway. I see it here, there are Brits, Germans and what not that have been living here for years and don't speak any Portuguese except for hello, please, thank you and good bye. That is almost impossible in countries outside the EU where we have no automatic right to be. Thus only relatively few Europeans emigrate to places where English is not the national language. Many go to Canada these days, Australia is also in demand, although it is too remote for many. Flights back home take ages and are rather expensive. So North America is the natural first choice for many Europeans who want to emigrate.
...and true again I have a friend living and working in Barcelona and she doesn't speak any Spanish aside from "Hola, commo estas?" lol

Threestep, als was arbeitest du???

Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Where is the issue with Australia? Quantas offers nice direct flight. Of course - were you to choose to pinch pennies and go Frankfurt/Paris/London/who knows where and vice versa ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration