Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 02:56 PM

194 posts, read 463,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
Why aren't Europeans, esp. Western Europeans immigrating to the US anymore?

I have heard 2 opposing viewpoints on the subject matter.

One side says that the current US policy, system, and diversity quotas literally discourage/restrict immigration from non-minority, white, European nations.

Other side argues that Europeans, esp. Western Europeans resent the US and US lifestyle and are much happier with their system of government and social services at home.

What gives?
Most Europeans have no reason to emigrate to the u.s.a. Back in the first half of the 20th century, much of Europe was economically disadvantaged, and america presented many oppurtunities not avaliable in places like Italy or Ireland. Now, most European countries offer the same oppurtunities as america, probably more in most countries. We still have immigrants coming from Russia, the former Yugoslavia,Bosnia,etc., but for the most part Europeans have no need or desire to come here anymore. Instead, people move here from asia, latin america and the middle east because we still have a lot to offer them in comparison to their homelands. And that's how it should be!! There seems to be a lot of americans who feel that these new non-european immigrants have no right to be here, but really they're the ones who are un-american and shouldn't be here!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 03:25 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
Let's see how much longer you'll post on this forum.
Havent seen anything from ilovegermany since you posted this ominous prophesy

Old 08-18-2010, 04:18 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Havent seen anything from ilovegermany since you posted this ominous prophesy
I regret that I responded to his post. He is just a troll, bashing everything and insulting everybody, not interested in a discussion at all. He even insulted people who basically agreed with him, if there was anything to be agreed with. I doubt, he even read other people posts at all.

You know, it's easy to criticize America, because it's such a visible country and it's in daily news all over the world. Seems like following the news and discussing what is going on in the US became a kind of a national sport in many countries. However, people forget that even the most developed European countries are not without problems, sometimes very serious problems. Many of them face serious immigration problems, decrease in the quality of life and in benefits, huge unemployment problems at least in some Union member countries and so on. Yet, it's so easy to forget all these problems they are facing and concentrate on the US because, as I said, the US is such an open country to the outside world.

As for Europeans coming to the US, I agree with all those who say that the majority of Europeans are better off in their home countries. Who would argue with that? Many European countries have great quality of life and I hope it will stay this way. I wished, the US had Germany's safety, health care and social security systems, public transportation and such great livable cities. However, there are also things that are better done in the US. I still think that European countries could learn some things from the US, as well. I know, some people will not agree with me, but I met French, Germans, Swedes and other Europeans who moved to the US and live in NYC and who love it and don't want to go back to their countries. In fact, many of them are very critical of their home countries.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that even among Union member countries, there are countries with high and with much lower quality of life / standard of living.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 08-18-2010 at 05:00 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 08:48 PM

Default 10 Must Visit Cities In The United States

An interesting article for all those potential European immigrants

10 Must Visit Cities In The United States

Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,100 times
Quote:
An interesting article for all those potential European immigrants

10 Must Visit Cities In The United States
It seems like everyone wants to go to California, NYC or Florida anyway. After telling my friends that I am going to live in Wisconsin, most of them did not know what or where it is. The best response was "Milwaukee? Is that somewhere close to L.A.?".
I have to admit though that I visited most of those cities. My favorite is not on the list: Chicago!! They are biased towards warm climate as it seems.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
It seems like everyone wants to go to California, NYC or Florida anyway. After telling my friends that I am going to live in Wisconsin, most of them did not know what or where it is. The best response was "Milwaukee? Is that somewhere close to L.A.?".
I have to admit though that I visited most of those cities. My favorite is not on the list: Chicago!! They are biased towards warm climate as it seems.
I agree regarding Chicago. There are some other places that should be on the list, as well. I think, they tried to put on the list cities that would offer both a historical / cultural / political and so on significance and variety and that also are attractive as tourist destinations. In addition, I think, many of those cities on the list offer both urban experience and great natural surroundings.

But, yes, I agree, such lists are inevitably biased.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:47 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
This is the way I see it. More Europeans are not coming here because of feeling little need to do so. The Europeans I see coming to the USA are coming from the former Eastern Bloc region and former Yugoslavia(particularly Bosnia). Other than that, I don't see many people from other parts of Europe coming here. Actually, I have been noticing lately, particularly at my university, is that I am seeing more and more White South Africans coming to the USA. Many of them are either of Afrikaner descent.
Outside from that, most of the immigration is coming from Latin America, Asia, and Africa. The question should be "Why do many people from poorer nations want to come to the USA?"

Another thing I notice is a spatial analysis. While there are Eastern European immigrants coming the USA, alot more of them are going to places like Ireland, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Sweden,etc. Many African immigrants are moving to places like France, UK, Portugal, The Netherlands. Africa is located across the Mediterranean from Europe, so Europe is a close place to go.
In the USA, the largest group of immigrants are coming from Central and South America, a large number from Mexico. The USA is right there. Spatially, these nations are close to one another.

Many people from the former colonies are moving to the nations that they were colonised under(for example, many Angolans and Mozambicans are moving to Portugal. Many Surinamese and Indonesians are moving to The Netherlands. There are many Nigerians, Jamaicans, and Kenyans living in the UK, many Algerians and persons from former French West Africa are moving to France as well.). There are even some Vietnamese immigrants moving to France(Vietnam, along with Laos and Cambodia, were all colonies of France).

That is all I can say as far as the USA goes, especially when comparing to Europe.

People will move to where they feel like the best opportunities are.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:04 PM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This is the way I see it. More Europeans are not coming here because of feeling little need to do so. The Europeans I see coming to the USA are coming from the former Eastern Bloc region and former Yugoslavia(particularly Bosnia). Other than that, I don't see many people from other parts of Europe coming here. Actually, I have been noticing lately, particularly at my university, is that I am seeing more and more White South Africans coming to the USA. Many of them are either of Afrikaner descent.
Outside from that, most of the immigration is coming from Latin America, Asia, and Africa. The question should be "Why do many people from poorer nations want to come to the USA?"

Another thing I notice is a spatial analysis. While there are Eastern European immigrants coming the USA, alot more of them are going to places like Ireland, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Sweden,etc. Many African immigrants are moving to places like France, UK, Portugal, The Netherlands. Africa is located across the Mediterranean from Europe, so Europe is a close place to go.
In the USA, the largest group of immigrants are coming from Central and South America, a large number from Mexico. The USA is right there. Spatially, these nations are close to one another.

Many people from the former colonies are moving to the nations that they were colonised under(for example, many Angolans and Mozambicans are moving to Portugal. Many Surinamese and Indonesians are moving to The Netherlands. There are many Nigerians, Jamaicans, and Kenyans living in the UK, many Algerians and persons from former French West Africa are moving to France as well.). There are even some Vietnamese immigrants moving to France(Vietnam, along with Laos and Cambodia, were all colonies of France).

That is all I can say as far as the USA goes, especially when comparing to Europe.

People will move to where they feel like the best opportunities are.
AMEN - your last sentence makes sense.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:48 AM

26 posts, read 44,685 times
Default You have no clue what you talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
AMEN - your last sentence makes sense.
Average west european would come to US, in fact many of them, the thing is there is no way that average person can settle in US unless he or she marries US citizen or can get H1B visa, unless they willing to put up with stuff like mexican and being illegal,which is out of question for majority. I think US is still despite economy crisis one of the best places in the world,and I live currently in western europe but would drop it and move in a blink. South africans are desperate to get out of africa and what you just said you see them at school ,so looks to me they use and abuse student visa's to get into the country,same as Irish do to get into canada now

Old 08-21-2010, 12:02 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,343,711 times
Quote:
I regret that I responded to his post. He is just a troll, bashing everything and insulting everybody, not interested in a discussion at all. He even insulted people who basically agreed with him, if there was anything to be agreed with. I doubt, he even read other people posts at all.

You know, it's easy to criticize America, because it's such a visible country and it's in daily news all over the world. Seems like following the news and discussing what is going on in the US became a kind of a national sport in many countries. However, people forget that even the most developed European countries are not without problems, sometimes very serious problems. Many of them face serious immigration problems, decrease in the quality of life and in benefits, huge unemployment problems at least in some Union member countries and so on. Yet, it's so easy to forget all these problems they are facing and concentrate on the US because, as I said, the US is such an open country to the outside world.

As for Europeans coming to the US, I agree with all those who say that the majority of Europeans are better off in their home countries. Who would argue with that? Many European countries have great quality of life and I hope it will stay this way. I wished, the US had Germany's safety, health care and social security systems, public transportation and such great livable cities. However, there are also things that are better done in the US. I still think that European countries could learn some things from the US, as well. I know, some people will not agree with me, but I met French, Germans, Swedes and other Europeans who moved to the US and live in NYC and who love it and don't want to go back to their countries. In fact, many of them are very critical of their home countries.

Another thing I wanted to mention is that even among Union member countries, there are countries with high and with much lower quality of life / standard of living.
A balanced and reasonable post, and I think you're right in many of your points.

I am personally in the process of migrating to the states because of a certain girl, but to me, coming from Norway, with our social structure and security (as well as job and career opportunities and freedom) moving to the US was never an option before this.

An interesting country it is though, and I'm excited to explore the wastness of it and all the places I've seen in movies, read about, as well as the places I'll stumble into in my explorations.

As an adventurer, the US still has a lot to offer, simply because it has such an extreme variety within one country, both in terms of cultures, people as well as nature and landscapes.

Socially, work wise, health and safety etc etc, I feel that most of western Europe has more to offer though, and I'm sure we'll move back here once we're both done with school. (which, for me will be partially paid for by the Norwegian government, god I love my country. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration