U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-19-2009, 08:31 AM

15,706 posts, read 21,138,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
A LOT of jobs that Europeans used to partake of when they immigrated to the states are now assumed by those from across our southern borders. That may not be the whole reason but I'd be willing to bet it's a chunk of it.

Also, it's a helluva lot EASIER to come to the states illegally than it is through legal channels. I have friends in England that tried to immigrate to the states for over 10 years. Now in their elder years they have given up.
And way cheaper...if Obama is going to change the laws that illegals have a chance to become legal and get a chance to become citizens...than all legal aliens will try the same....or sue Obama's government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 11:36 AM

15,297 posts, read 5,487,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
A LOT of jobs that Europeans used to partake of when they immigrated to the states are now assumed by those from across our southern borders. That may not be the whole reason but I'd be willing to bet it's a chunk of it.
I doubt that is the case. A European in a blue-collar profession has no legal way to immigrate based on employment. You need a degree and an employer to sponsor you. Or an American to marry.

And if you're e European with sufficient drive and talent to get that done, why would you want to accept the harsh terms of an H-1B? It would be huge hassle and not a major improvement in conditions.

Quote:
Also, it's a helluva lot EASIER to come to the states illegally than it is through legal channels.
I'd say that depends on how you plan to live. If you want the same comforts in life as the average European - freedom to travel, a car, health care, opportunity to buy a home - you can't take the chance of living illegally.

Quote:
I have friends in England that tried to immigrate to the states for over 10 years. Now in their elder years they have given up.
It is simply impossible for a lot of people.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:14 PM

15,706 posts, read 21,138,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I doubt that is the case. A European in a blue-collar profession has no legal way to immigrate based on employment. You need a degree and an employer to sponsor you. Or an American to marry.

And if you're e European with sufficient drive and talent to get that done, why would you want to accept the harsh terms of an H-1B? It would be huge hassle and not a major improvement in conditions.

I'd say that depends on how you plan to live. If you want the same comforts in life as the average European - freedom to travel, a car, health care, opportunity to buy a home - you can't take the chance of living illegally.

It is simply impossible for a lot of people.
That is why some people immigrate to Canada and try from there to get over here...I guess it is easier that way, or was...

Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 PM

15,856 posts, read 17,126,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
I would love to escape the horrendous ever-increasing taxes and lack of opportunity, if it just was realistically possible.
Unfortunately, Vic, the US is becoming more and more like this too ...

Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Sure, just tried to point out that it ain't just a piece of cake to leave, like it would be to UK, Aus, US, or another english speaking country.
It isn't just a piece of cake to leave, full stop. I have emigrated twice - the language question is pretty minor compared to the cultural and practical hurdles to clear. Even if you're fluent in English, the local nuances will trip you.

Just out of curiousity, what opportunities do you lack in Finland that you feel would be easier to pursue in the US?

Old 06-19-2009, 08:02 PM

8,040 posts, read 7,878,649 times
Quote:
Well, I grew up in Central California when most of the dairy farm hands were from the Azores. And there were a lot of them. I have no idea what measures they took to immigrate here, but I'll assume it was through some kind of sponsorship at the time.

However, some Mexican illegals were harvesting the fields (cotton, etc).

I left there in the 70's and in the course of time things changed. They stopped immigrating, and the dairy farms started to employ Mexicans instead. (At that time they were all from Mexico; today, they probably include Central Americans, too.)

So, yes, I can remember blue-collars immigrating to California several decades ago. However. . . that was several decades ago.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:10 AM

734 posts, read 766,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Unfortunately, Vic, the US is becoming more and more like this too ...
Sure i watch the news.. still, you're not even close. I hope you're getting sick of it

Old 06-20-2009, 02:00 AM

734 posts, read 766,681 times
Quote:
It isn't just a piece of cake to leave, full stop. I have emigrated twice - the language question is pretty minor compared to the cultural and practical hurdles to clear. Even if you're fluent in English, the local nuances will trip you.
Sure, i can only imagine. Done it once, but it's been a while already

Quote:
Just out of curiousity, what opportunities do you lack in Finland that you feel would be easier to pursue in the US?
Finland gets old really quick, a small, mostly very rural country with long, cold winters and not much to do for people of my age. The US is pretty much the only other place that i'm even somewhat familliar with, and have connections. Very diverse in many ways. I'm not saying this is a bad place to be, i'm sure many would just love it here. It has alot of good points, but it's just not an "exciting" place by any means.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Finland gets old really quick, a small, mostly very rural country with long, cold winters and not much to do for people of my age.
There is definitely a size-of-country thing - being from Denmark myself and now living in California, I can certainly relate. Whenever I visit home, it does feel a bit like visiting Legoland. Everything is neat and clean and very, very small.

But as for the opportunities, I've come to believe that's something you have to make yourself, no matter where you are. I know that sounds trite, but it's pretty much true.

I had a hard enough time getting work when I moved to the US (I married an American girl) that I started my own business - something that is not really in my temperament - and the competition is murderous. In a small country like Finland and Denmark, you can build a reputation with relative ease. In California, you're lost in the background noise. It's like starting over again each time.

And one huge advantage for the European entrepeneur is (and I know this is a tender subject) the healthcare. It's not a little thing, either.

If I were to try and strike out on my own again (and the thought has entered my head), I'd be giving up a pretty good health insurance deal from my Fortune 500 employer. I'd be utterly unable to negotiate a deal anywhere as good on my own. And being married, taking the chance and going without is just not a chance I'd be willing to take. 5 years ago, when I last changed jobs, I was given the paperwork for continuation of my then-employer's health insurance - at $650/month(!). I make decent money, but that's a good chunk - as in plus/minus a nice car - out of most budgets.

If you're looking for opportunity, try going for it in Finland. I know several Danes who've built their own businesses - it takes a decade or so of 11-hour days, but it's perfectly possible. It's harder to go from successful to rich (and from rich to very rich) in Europe, but I think it's actually in some ways easier to go from employed to self-employed.

Heh, I'm getting all fired up. Who wants to start a business?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:04 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,744,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Mnay people in Europe want to immigrate since they had it with the government and how muslims are getting more and more power and it is like the police, etc are scared to do anything against them. So many people have had it. The US laws make it very hard to immigrate and that is withholding them, otherwise many more would come.
Most are going to Canada or Australia just because it is almost impossible to immigrate to the US in a legal way. Illegally is easier and cost less, but Western Europeans will never do that, that is more for the former Eastern block, Mexicans, criminals, etc.
sorry, but you're deluded here, my friend. Most Europeans don't feel the threaten of Muslim immigration, don't trust what some far-right European groups claim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration