Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,681 times

Advertisements

I changed my name upon naturalization (only removed an "a" at the end of my family name in order to match my husband's family name - a common problem with Russian and other Slavic names).
Do I need to change my drivers license and my Social Security card (these are the two documents required when one applies for a passport) before applying for a US passport?
Or I can do it afterward? I would like to apply for a passport immediately after my oath ceremony, but I am not sure whether it is possible with my old drivers license (showing my old name).
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 6,426 times
I lost my naturalization certificate and i need to find the date of my naturalization

Old 10-02-2010, 08:24 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karas55 View Post
I lost my naturalization certificate and i need to find the date of my naturalization
You can get another certificate, but it isvery expensive. Do you have a US passport? If so, the date should be in there.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:54 AM

211 posts, read 816,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumba.mamba View Post
I changed my name upon naturalization (only removed an "a" at the end of my family name in order to match my husband's family name - a common problem with Russian and other Slavic names).
Do I need to change my drivers license and my Social Security card (these are the two documents required when one applies for a passport) before applying for a US passport?
Or I can do it afterward? I would like to apply for a passport immediately after my oath ceremony, but I am not sure whether it is possible with my old drivers license (showing my old name).
Thanks!
Yes. Although you should be proud to honour your heritage by retaining the female patronymic form. Changing it just to suit American norms doesn't make you a better citizen.

Your naturalization certificate should have the new name on it. You can use it to apply for your new passport right away, although the acceptance agent might not let you do so because it doesn't match the name on the DL and SSN.

So you'll probably have to go first to the SSA and update your SS card with your new name. Then go to DMV with your naturalization certificate and updated SS card. Since the SS records have been updated with your new name, and it matches your naturalization certificate, they should update your DL for you.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 11,406 times
Hi, maybe someone might have the answer to this question

I am a naturalized citizen have been since 2009 and I had my middle name removed , now I wanna back and I'm also getting married so I want to carry my Future husband last name . What would happen with my Naturalization Certificate ?

Old 01-31-2012, 10:02 AM

2 posts, read 11,406 times
PLEASE

Old 01-31-2012, 12:09 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletita View Post
Hi, maybe someone might have the answer to this question

I am a naturalized citizen have been since 2009 and I had my middle name removed , now I wanna back and I'm also getting married so I want to carry my Future husband last name . What would happen with my Naturalization Certificate ?
If you go to the USCIS website linked in the first "sticky" on this forum you'll find the information you need as well as the name change application form which you can download. You'll obviously have to wait until you're married before applying for the change as you'll need to enclose with it a copy of your marriage certificate.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,309 times
hi I wonder if anybody can guide me on this; I got my naturalization documents in 1999. I did adopted a new name (changed my last name). I have an american passport showing the same name printed on my naturalization doc. I traveled aboard a couple of times using my passport.(during the last 10 years). After getting my citizenship(changed name). I continue using my original name for everything, my job, school, credit cards, insurance..nothing changed. Even my social security remains with my original(birth) name.
Today, I regret having changed my name and would like to get my birth name back. Basically, I would have to change it on my citizenship document and my passport; these are the only documents I have with my court ordered name change.
Will I need the expertise of an attorney for this?
appreciate any input.
thanks.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:29 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dltp200 View Post
Basically, I would have to change it on my citizenship document and my passport; these are the only documents I have with my court ordered name change.
Will I need the expertise of an attorney for this?
appreciate any input.
thanks.
This is the form you can download from the USCIS website:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/f...form/n-565.pdf

The Passport Office can help you with that change.

http://travel.state.gov/content/pass...orrection.html

Last edited by STT Resident; 07-29-2014 at 02:52 PM..

Old 09-08-2014, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,145 times
Default Passport and Certificate of Naturalization

I am finally going to get my passport but I just realized that my certificate of naturalization has a different last name than my social and drivers license. When I did my certificate I changed my last name to my ex-husbands. Since the divorce I have since changed it back on my social and then drivers license. Now that I am getting my passport do I first have to get a new certificate or can I submit the information as is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration