U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 11:52 AM

24 posts, read 97,895 times
Default Naturalized citizen, Marriage, Name Change, Passport

Hello!
Maybe somebody know the answer to my question here...
Recently I received a Naturalization Certificate and became a citizen. I didn't apply for a passport yet, because I plan to marry soon and want to take my husbands last name.
My question is:
Can I submit application for my first passport with my new name which will not appear on my Naturalization Certificate but only on Marriage certificate? It it's not possible what are my options?
Thank you for your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 01:44 PM

1,398 posts, read 4,621,008 times
Bravo on attaining your citizenship, salo. These are too important of questions for anyone here to attempt. I suggest you go to the nearest Federal courthouse in person to ask, rather than trying to get the answer online, even at the Federal government's passport Q & A site. Where I live (L.A.) the city government court buildings have passport/marriage license special offices to help: go by what they advise. I'm sure you'll find this in New Jersey. Good luck!

Old 08-05-2008, 03:24 PM

5,149 posts, read 9,732,604 times
Congratulations on becoming a US citizen. To start with, when being born, you have a name entered that stays there for life unless you decide to go to court and legally change it. You may recall, that when you filled out your paperwork, it asked if you are going to make a name change. I did. I dropped my middle name at that time. Get your Passport in your Maiden name that will stay on it for the duration of 10 yrs of validity. No one is going to question the last name change on travelling as you do not carry your marriage license around in your purse every day. The passport will have a current photo and you have to supply them (immigration) with your Citizenship paper which they keep pending the completion of the application, and then they will return the paper with the NEW passport. The 1st passport I got, (they only verified the info), which I later lost at the airport in Mexico City. I then supplied my citizenship paper to them (they kept) for a time period and then reissued a NEW one. After 10 yrs, I applied for a new one and gave my expired one to them which was perferated and returned to me with a new 10 yr Passport. When flying International, you would get your ticket in your new marriage name and only have to show the US passport with your picture still on it. No big deal. Application forms will have the questions to be filled. Some people may get married/divorced 2-3 times in the 10 yr period. Good luck to you.. Steve

Old 08-05-2008, 09:36 PM

15,757 posts, read 19,960,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salo View Post
Hello!
Maybe somebody know the answer to my question here...
Recently I received a Naturalization Certificate and became a citizen. I didn't apply for a passport yet, because I plan to marry soon and want to take my husbands last name.
My question is:
Can I submit application for my first passport with my new name which will not appear on my Naturalization Certificate but only on Marriage certificate? It it's not possible what are my options?
Thank you for your advice.

If you go for your passport before marriage use your maiden name.

If you go for your passport after marriage use your married name.

That is how the system expects it to work and it will every time.

My wife is a naturalized Canadian who got her first US passport after we were married in her married name. Worked fine. She still has her Canadian passport in her maiden name. That works fine too.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 27,979 times
Hi, maybe someone might have the answer to this question. I recently became a minor US Citizen thru my dad and I already had a passport that reads on the back of it US National but would like to have it correct reading US Citizen now thru my Dad. What form do I need to correct this instead of applying for a whole new passport because it is not expired in another 4 years. Thank you!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:08 AM

8,193 posts, read 7,611,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgl View Post
Hi, maybe someone might have the answer to this question. I recently became a minor US Citizen thru my dad and I already had a passport that reads on the back of it US National but would like to have it correct reading US Citizen now thru my Dad. What form do I need to correct this instead of applying for a whole new passport because it is not expired in another 4 years. Thank you!
Congratulations on your citizenship --- what you need to do (and salo as well) is contact the usbcis. They have a website with phone numbers. You need to talk with them directly. Dealing with them can be confusing and you do not want to get the wrong information. Contact them, they are helpful and you will get the correct information.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:54 AM

1 posts, read 21,262 times
My name on my Naturalization Certificate was from my first married name.When we Idivorced I requested a name change back to my maiden name (birth name). So, I changed all my name in SS card, driver's license and passport. I got married for the second time and changed all my information again using my new married name.

I would like to change my name on my Naturalization Certificate but can I just used my maiden name name? I am not proud of my last name written on my Certificate because he cheated on me and it's the only certificate I haven't changed.

I prefer to use my birth name which I am proud of though I am 100% sure that my new husband believes in a lifetime marriage. If changing name to my maiden name (birth name) on the certificate doesn't mean I have to change my name on SS, driver's license and passport again, right?

So what name I should fill out in the N-565 form if I am already using my new married name?

Old 04-12-2010, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 21,092 times
hey .. guys ... well i live in Pakistan and i got a friend she live in Mexico .. after a long time.. we love each other now and we both want to marry now so can you tell me what will be i do to marry with a Mexcio citizen ? and how long it takes time and what Documents i needed please reply me soon ..

thank you

Old 04-12-2010, 10:14 AM

21,286 posts, read 24,396,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oversmart View Post
hey .. guys ... well i live in Pakistan and i got a friend she live in Mexico .. after a long time.. we love each other now and we both want to marry now so can you tell me what will be i do to marry with a Mexcio citizen ? and how long it takes time and what Documents i needed please reply me soon ..

thank you
Mexico isn't the US and this is a US Immigration forum so I guess you'll have to contact the Mexican authorities for that information.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 20,858 times
question...I am a naturalized citizen have been since 1998, and I was married then so used my married name....I got divorced in 2006 and haven't changed my name kept married name because we have 3 children, but court ordered I was supposed to return to my maiden name...Well here's the thing...I am getting remarried to a wonderful man, do I need to update my naturalization papers before I get remarried or what do I need to do? Because my new husband would like me to carry his name, and I wouldn't mind it either, but not sure how to go about and what is needed to be done? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration