Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:41 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
The person that sponsors the green card holders is required to sign a document that says the that the new residents will not be a burden to the state for several years, which means you have to provide for them, not the rest of the tax payers.
Well it is just for a few years. But also a sponsor's situation can change to where they aren't able to provide for the ones they helped to immigrate. So what happens then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 05:00 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,550,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
They cannot be turned away at a hospital but they will probably be stuck with the bills unless they are very poor and qualify for Medicaid. They'll probably have to sign up and pay for some private insurance. The 62 year old will have a UK pension, the 58 year old will have one within two years. Even with just a visa and not a green card, they can get a SS number -- no benefits, of course, because they never worked here, but the SS number is a means of identification over here.

SSI? I'm not sure. That's for disabled and people over 65 who are poor. I'm not sure if immigrants are eligible for it because your parents would have had to prove that they had enough money to not be a government charge.

The US is not very welcoming to legal immigrants. Maybe when they get to Florida they can ask some of the other Brits who live there.
You cannot get a SSN with all visas, only ones that allow you to work.I have H4 and cannot get a SSN as I am not allowed to work.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Well it is just for a few years. But also a sponsor's situation can change to where they aren't able to provide for the ones they helped to immigrate. So what happens then?
I would bet in almost every case the sponsor does not bother to purchase a health insurance plan for their immigrant or pay much of their living costs. Sometimes the sponsor may provide a room in their house, share some meals but not many real costs are paid.

If the sponsor doesn't get a health insurance plan then their immigrant gets taxpayer provided medical care.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,440 times
Default Big decision~

My husband a French citizen, risks losing his benefits, pension, if he applies for a green card. Interestingly enough in France, Americans can still receive their Social Security checks, when a foreign citizen moves here, they lose everything.

Having to have money to prove that you will not be a 'burden' on society, LOL, who has hundreds of thousands sitting in the
bank, should there be a medical emergency?

No coverage is available for the elderly, especially with a pre existing condition. I would be interested to know if anyone has found any.

Our family is tired of living in 2 countries,,and. we truly are
just 2 tired 2 travel. We tried living in France,,amazing that that country,,when married to one of their citizens, very quickly provides you with benefits under your spouse.

I would love any additional benefit information,,

Regards~

Old 09-02-2010, 12:38 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
Not all foreign citizens lose their rights, I'm guessing it's France that decided you will be cut off if you choose to become a permanent resident of another country. If things are so bad why not just move to France? Or give up the French pension/benefits?

Old 09-02-2010, 01:35 PM

24,559 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tired2travel View Post
My husband a French citizen, risks losing his benefits, pension, if he applies for a green card. Interestingly enough in France, Americans can still receive their Social Security checks, when a foreign citizen moves here, they lose everything.:
That is a French issue.

Quote:
Having to have money to prove that you will not be a 'burden' on society, LOL, who has hundreds of thousands sitting in the
bank, should there be a medical emergency?:
I cannot figure out what you are trying to say so I guess.

Quote:
No coverage is available for the elderly, especially with a pre existing condition. I would be interested to know if anyone has found any.
:
These coverages are out there. As your spouse you should be able to add him to your policy under change of lifestyle. Otherwise google for expat coverage. As you have not given any information to work with there is no way to answer your question with anything but vague comments.

Quote:
Our family is tired of living in 2 countries,,and. we truly are
just 2 tired 2 travel. We tried living in France,,amazing that that country,,when married to one of their citizens, very quickly provides you with benefits under your spouse.:
If benefits are a major factor in your life why not stay in France?

Quote:
I would love any additional benefit information,,
As you have not given any information to work with there is no way to answer your question. What benefits do you need, what age group do you fall in, why the move to the US, what is your employment situation, what is your budget ..........

Old 09-02-2010, 01:52 PM

Personally I think that if you have a green card and can't survive without having to turn to public assistance you should have your green card revoked. Once you're a citizen there's nothing they can do, but maybe they need to make that another requirement of naturalization, that you haven't claimed public assistance while a permanent resident. I don't feel that I have a right as a GC holder myself to claim welfare, I am still a guest in this country right now. In the last country I was an expat in foreign residents were not allowed to claim welfare until they had paid a certain amount of taxes. If you couldn't survive they would give you a flight back home.

Old 09-02-2010, 07:04 PM

377 posts, read 877,957 times
I think some confuse Social Security/Retirement benefits and SSI (Supplimental Security Income).
Elderly immigrants qualify for SSI only as they've never worked in the US.
So the talk about "plush" retirement benefits for old immigrants is ridiculous.
SSI check is about $650/month. Try to survive on that (rent, utilities, groceries, etc.)
Not all adult children of sponsored elderly parents are doctors, lawyers or employed in other well paid professions.
Many live from paycheck to paycheck. But they work and they pay taxes.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:12 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Personally I think that if you have a green card and can't survive without having to turn to public assistance you should have your green card revoked. Once you're a citizen there's nothing they can do, but maybe they need to make that another requirement of naturalization, that you haven't claimed public assistance while a permanent resident. I don't feel that I have a right as a GC holder myself to claim welfare, I am still a guest in this country right now. In the last country I was an expat in foreign residents were not allowed to claim welfare until they had paid a certain amount of taxes. If you couldn't survive they would give you a flight back home.
With all due respect, this thread as resurrected by 2tired has little to do with "welfare" where a GC holder is concerned. As the new OP (and this really should have been a new thread and not latched onto one long dormant) poster Threestep addressed his/her issue succintly.

In all my years of being a GC holder (40+ years) I have NEVER gone on the welfare roll and neither have I claimed unemployment benefits. However, as a GC holder and having paid into the system for many years I am most certainly entitled to those benefits as much as any US Citizen.

At 64 I'm still working as hard as I've always worked. I'll be happy to qualify at 65 for Medicare at least, since I have no medical insurance. Thank goodness I've no major medical problems to date but at least if I enroll in the program those incredibly few doctor visits will be covered just a bit. Cheers!

Old 09-02-2010, 10:47 PM

I feel that you should have to obtain citizenship before you become entitled to those things. The main reason most GC holders don't become citizens is to avoid being taxed on their worldwide income, if that is your reason for not naturalising then I don't feel you should in fact be entitled to benefits as you are clearly not paying the full amount of tax that you should be. You're either all in or all out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration