Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No most don't complain about legal immigrants. Most complaints are in regards to those known as illegals.
By the way we do own the place.
We own it because...our ancestors "took it" by force from the locals that were here to begin with? My families immigrated over back in the 1890's in hopes of a better life...and found it. I have no idea if they did so legally or not...but I'm pretty happy about it.
I'm not to thrilled about any illegal activity myself...but any man (or woman) that has the gumption to make their way over here, find work, make a home, contribute to our society, obey the laws, treat their neighbors with respect etc...has every right to be here. Heck there are a million that were born here that shouldn't be in this country because they are either criminals, contribute nothing, have respect for nothing, all take and no give etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 10:53 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,780,861 times

YouTube - Lou Dobbs: H1B visa scam hurts American college grads

American colleges produce 300,000 engineers and scientists a year, according to the Department of Education.

Industries need 120,000 engineers and scientists a year, according to the Labor Department.

These facts should put to rest the argument that there are no qualified Americans to do the jobs BS.

Companies from IBM, Citygroup, Caterpillar, GM, etc. are laying off Americans and hire foreigners at the same time.

All these things happen because of one simple fact: Americans are being replaced with cheaper foreign labors.

If you are an American, this should make your blood boil.

Last edited by davidt1; 05-01-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 05-01-2009, 11:03 AM

666 posts, read 1,843,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Companies from IBM, Citygroup, Caterpillar, GM, etc. are laying off Americans and hire foreigners at the same time.

All these things happen because of one simple fact: Americans are being replaced with cheaper foreign labors.

You are mixing outsourcing issues with people working here on H1B visas. I work for the first company named in your list and they are not replacing American jobs with H1B workers here in the states. They are laying people off and then offshoring the work. Completely different issue.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:07 AM

31 posts, read 117,535 times
Quote:
American colleges produce 300,000 engineers and scientists a year, according to the Department of Education.

Industries need 120,000 engineering and science jobs a year, according to the Labor Department.

These facts should put to rest the argument that there are no qualified Americans to do the jobs BS.

Let me add more companies to your list.
Microsoft, Google, Walmart, HP, GE, BOA, JP Morgan chase, Conagra foods, Kraft list goes on and on...

1) Let's assume that everything you say is correct, would you say its immigrants fault or corporations fault?

Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 AM

175 posts, read 1,592,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post

Industries need 120,000 engineers and scientists a year, according to the Labor Department.

as an American, why don't you accept lower wages then? There is nothing wrong for large companies to hire cheaper labor as long as they are legal. It is a competitive market, isn't it?
When you yourself is not qualified enough and still demands $50 an hour, please don't cry to the government that foreign workers make your life miserable. For average Americans, when economy gets bad, get more education and skills and try to be more competitive.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:39 AM

175 posts, read 1,592,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo View Post
Let me add more companies to your list.
Microsoft, Google, Walmart, HP, GE, BOA, JP Morgan chase, Conagra foods, Kraft list goes on and on...

1) Let's assume that everything you say is correct, would you say its immigrants fault or corporations fault?
Corporation smaximize their profit and they go for the most talented people demanding the lowest possible wage, what's wrong with that? It is called market economy. If they hire someone less capable asking for 20% more, that's not patriotism. that's iresponsible for shareholders and bad management.

What is wrong is GM union workers, with their high school degrees and hardly any complicated skills, can earn as much as what an engineer with a Columbia PhD does.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:48 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No most don't complain about legal immigrants. Most complaints are in regards to those known as illegals.
By the way we do own the place.

Bravo and ITA. The problem is that far too many foreigners seem to think that it is their right to come to America predicated upon the fact that they want to be here. LEGAL immigration is indeed a privilege NOT a right.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:05 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,446,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Funny how most folks ranting about immigrants seem to forget their very ancestors migrated to this country in hopes of a better life. And now they sit here screaming to close all borders to immigrants like they own the place.
Rance,

It's just because people need something to get angry about. They would rather believe that it's the brown faced people coming in over the border (to pick vegetables and clean houses) that are stealing jobs than to imagine their own government is stealing from them. In truth, most of the jobs going out of this country are going overseas, but no one seems to acknowledge that for some reason.

W.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:54 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
We own it because...our ancestors "took it" by force from the locals that were here to begin with? My families immigrated over back in the 1890's in hopes of a better life...and found it. I have no idea if they did so legally or not...but I'm pretty happy about it.
I'm not to thrilled about any illegal activity myself...but any man (or woman) that has the gumption to make their way over here, find work, make a home, contribute to our society, obey the laws, treat their neighbors with respect etc...has every right to be here. Heck there are a million that were born here that shouldn't be in this country because they are either criminals, contribute nothing, have respect for nothing, all take and no give etc.
And what country today did not evolve under said methods? Past history does not make illegal immigration acceptable.
Now lets look at the rest of your post.
Obey the laws? Illegal entry? Tax evasion? Fraud? ID Theft? Theft of social services? How many legal citizens have lost jobs to illegals who low ball the wages? Too Many....
Right to be here? An immigrant earns the right to be here by obeying the laws/ rules to enter. In short they apply for a visa and once granted have the right to be here. Sneaking accross our border earns them the right to be deported nothing more.
As for our home grown scum bags. I agree but at the same time they are legal citizens. How many illegals are the same kind of scum bag? Evidently quite a few based on how many make the FBI most wanted list.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I say it's all a mmater of law because without the law many here would not be getting anything much since the constitution and bill of rights only gaurantees even citizens certain basic things. That does put food in your moputh or a roof over your head. Legal and illeagl are two different things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration