U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-30-2009, 06:57 PM

5,200 posts, read 7,623,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Japan, well, what can you expect from a country that is the result of centuries of cultural inbreeding A very chauvinist racist society behind the polite mask, just ask the Koreans or Chinese. A country lost in rituals. I would prefer the US or Brazil anytime, despite the social problems. No wonder so many young educated Japanese like traveling the world...
Well, I'm not sure I would go that far, but it IS Japan. It's not like it's Hawaii or <another awesome place>. Housing is expensive, fresh fruit is costly, but you can get all the raw fish you can eat(?)... LOL SUMIMASEN. I know Japan has lots of great food that's cooked, but I want to make fun of raw fish because I don't like it. I think that unless you have a spouse or relatives there, it might be okay to take the money and leave. Arigatoo gozaima*****a Nihongo..um okay that's all the bad japanese I can remember...
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 PM

1,890 posts, read 3,703,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
Are you a red skin or a Cherokee?. I don`t understand your post....

USA is the most multirracial nation in the world and the average American is not even considered "white".
Who is talking about white, red, black, etc. Playing the race card already? The original post is about Japan's patriotic and intelligent move to rid itself of foreigners to protect its citizens in times of economic hardship. Once again, I wish our politicians who are elected by the American people would have the same courage and intelligence to do the same for Americans.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:55 PM

16,445 posts, read 9,664,731 times
I don't think one can compare the US and Japan. The former would not exist if it weren't for all the immigrants. And even today, the Silicon Valley would collapse without all the Asian immigrants.
Also, the regulations in the US provide that foreigners may only come and work in the US when the employer proves that he could not find a US-citizen for that job. So foreign workers are doing your economy a favor. People who the US wouldn't benefit from are not allowed in, anyway.
Remain the illegal aliens. But again, without them your country would collapse, no matter how little they are liked. Politicians know it, thus they don't really fight illegal immigration as hard as they could.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 PM

2,708 posts, read 4,254,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Japan-Pays-Foreign-Workers-to-Go-Home: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/106964/Japan-Pays-Foreign-Workers-to-Go-Home - broken link)

Japan’s offer, extended to hundreds of thousands of blue-collar Latin American immigrants, is part of a new drive to encourage them to leave this recession-racked country. So far, at least 100 workers and their families have agreed to leave, Japanese officials said.

But Mr. Kawasaki said the economic slump was a good opportunity to overhaul Japan’s immigration policy as a whole.

“We should stop letting unskilled laborers into Japan. We should make sure that even the three-K jobs are paid well, and that they are filled by Japanese,” he said. “I do not think that Japan should ever become a multiethnic society.”

He said the United States had been “a failure on the immigration front,” and cited extreme income inequalities between rich Americans and poor immigrants.
I applaud the fact that there politicians want to reserve the jobs for their own people. I also can't blame the Japanese for wanting to remain mono-cultural. Sure, America has had successful legal immigration for centuries and its part of our identity, but the American model of immigration shouldn't necessarily be embraced by every country. Countries with the long and rich traditions such as Japan, England, France, Korea, etc. should have the option of retaining their ethnic and cultural identities without having people look down their noses at them.

Let the immigrants (legally, of course) come to the Western Hemisphere and other "new" places such as Australia and Singapore.

Back to the offer, this sounds like it could be financially disastrous if a large portion of these immigrants actually took the offer. I'd probably take it considering its probably the only time I'd be asked nicely (and given money) by a country with a very long history of isolation.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:24 PM

681 posts, read 1,034,188 times
Please don't put Japan with France or UK.
France is a country of immigration, it always welcomed immigrants.
Fact that in 1930 France has a higher ratio of foreigners than USA.
A very large part of white french population are descendant of european immigrants.
As it was the heart of a big empire, France is multiracial country with large arab, black and asian population.
Some part of France are 90% black (Martinique), some other don't even have any racial majority (Reunion and some districts of Paris)
The France indentity is strongly liked with it.
Do you know that the parisian bistros come from the russian immigrants in the 1900's Paris?
Do you know that France's actual president is a son of hugarian immigrant and the grand son of greek immigrant ?

UK immigration history is less old than french one but due at its big empire it became a multiracial country of immigration.

Fact that France or UK are more comparable with USA than with Japan.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:35 PM

But there is a big difference between the few French big cities and former colonies on the one hand and the big rest of the country on the other.
Places like Paris, Lyon, Frankfurt, London, Madrid, Barcelona etc. are very international and mixed by European standards, but the rest of the respective countries is oftentimes almost free of any immigrants.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:06 PM

43,453 posts, read 47,411,979 times
Quote:
Japan, well, what can you expect from a country that is the result of centuries of cultural inbreeding A very chauvinist racist society behind the polite mask, just ask the Koreans or Chinese. A country lost in rituals. I would prefer the US or Brazil anytime, despite the social problems. No wonder so many young educated Japanese like traveling the world...
But the chinese think the same of the japanese and Koreans.Even the vietnamese think this way. I've seen vietnamese that will shun the Korean wife of a brother. Its hasn't changed for centuries and probably wouldn't it's so ingrained.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:24 PM

2,708 posts, read 4,254,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Please don't put Japan with France or UK.
France is a country of immigration, it always welcomed immigrants.
Fact that in 1930 France has a higher ratio of foreigners than USA.
A very large part of white french population are descendant of european immigrants.
As it was the heart of a big empire, France is multiracial country with large arab, black and asian population.
Some part of France are 90% black (Martinique), some other don't even have any racial majority (Reunion and some districts of Paris)
The France indentity is strongly liked with it.
Do you know that the parisian bistros come from the russian immigrants in the 1900's Paris?
Do you know that France's actual president is a son of hugarian immigrant and the grand son of greek immigrant ?

UK immigration history is less old than french one but due at its big empire it became a multiracial country of immigration.

Fact that France or UK are more comparable with USA than with Japan.
Well without taking this thread too off-topic I mentioned France for a reason. Historically it hasn't been as mono-cultural as Japan but the actual nation-state of France had a single dominant culture. I know that France is very diverse today which is fine but I wouldn't want them to lose their cultural identity as some project will happen in the future.

UK and France may have large portions of minorities but they also have a long history of a single culture (again, I'm talking of the actual nation-states not their respective empires) like Japan. The UK has taken on Jewish, French Huguenot, Caribbean, and Asian immigrants through the years but they haven't changed the overall pervading culture except for places they are the actual majority.

You have a point about the countries being more ethnically diverse than Japan (even many years ago) but although I mentioned ethnicity I mostly mean culture.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:13 AM

Culture is a work in progress. Sometimes what we perceive as a typical culture, such as the French one, is more like the collection of stereotypes we want there to be, like an unchangeable object at display in a museum, especially when the observer himself is a foreigner. Let's face it, when the average US-American goes to Japan or France or Britain he expects the stuff typical of those countries, the stuff written about in travel guides, sales literature etc., the stuff shown in movies and on TV. Only few are interested in the changes, for instance only few people think of Islam when you mention France or Germany.
For instance foreigners always think of Fado music when one mentions Portugal, but the Portuguese I know largely don't listen to Fado, a lot of them listen to traditional Celtic music (which is similar to Scottish music), Metal, Rock etc.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:13 PM

21,157 posts, read 26,703,493 times
Quote:
I don't think one can compare the US and Japan. The former would not exist if it weren't for all the immigrants. And even today, the Silicon Valley would collapse without all the Asian immigrants.
Also, the regulations in the US provide that foreigners may only come and work in the US when the employer proves that he could not find a US-citizen for that job. So foreign workers are doing your economy a favor. People who the US wouldn't benefit from are not allowed in, anyway.
Remain the illegal aliens. But again, without them your country would collapse, no matter how little they are liked. Politicians know it, thus they don't really fight illegal immigration as hard as they could.
BS:

Looking at our growing unemployment rate----------we certainly do not need illegal aliens for anything. They are a net liability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration