U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:31 AM

5 posts, read 10,710 times

Advertisements

Sorry if a question like this has been posted before, but I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I am British, was born and have lived in the UK all my life. I have a British passport and an American one, as my father is a US citizen. Which makes me a dual citizen
I am considering a move to America, California specifically, a few years from now so at the moment I'm just gathering information.
I am confused on one thing regarding visas. Would I need a visa at all if I have an American passport? And if the answer is yes which one is it likely to be?
I have looked at various different sites regarding visas and dual citizenship and haven't been able to find out any helpful information, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 05:56 AM

Also my father lives in America if this helps towards answering what type of visa If I need one

Old 05-11-2009, 06:25 AM

24,669 posts, read 66,608,536 times
No, you don't need a visa.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:13 AM

15,603 posts, read 37,877,089 times
You already have a passport. Thats all you need.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:11 AM

2,364 posts, read 10,855,207 times
Very good link i think for general information: Questions and answers on dual US/other citizenship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally_103 View Post
Sorry if a question like this has been posted before, but I was wondering if anyone could help me.
I am British, was born and have lived in the UK all my life. I have a British passport and an American one, as my father is a US citizen. Which makes me a dual citizen
I am considering a move to America, California specifically, a few years from now so at the moment I'm just gathering information.
I am confused on one thing regarding visas. Would I need a visa at all if I have an American passport? And if the answer is yes which one is it likely to be?
I have looked at various different sites regarding visas and dual citizenship and haven't been able to find out any helpful information, so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Old 05-11-2009, 05:26 PM

27,310 posts, read 15,249,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tally_103 View Post
Thank you
Travel on your US passport. Don't worry about anything.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:34 PM

6,943 posts, read 20,902,686 times
All the answers are good ones.

Only need to show a current "VALID" US passport when leaving the UK and showing same at the US airport on entry.

Make sure the expiration date is valid or if you need... have a NEW one issued to you at the nearest American Embassy.

Welcome to the US (home)

Steve

Old 05-13-2009, 07:57 AM

Thanks everyone for clearing that up for me!
I thought that probably was the case but I couldn't find it written anywhere in such black and white terms
gea12345 thanks for the link!
Steve Bagu thanks...I have a vlaid us passport, always have so I don't need to worry about that
Maybe I'll be seeing you all sometime soon

Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 PM

23 posts, read 74,049 times
You can also contact the American Embassy in London. Their Operator Assisted Visa Information Line is 09042-450-100 (within UK only).

As others have said though, you're best off traveling on your US passport. Make sure it's not about to expire as renewal times and new issuances of passports are backed up due to the implementation of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative on June 1.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:29 PM

24,669 posts, read 66,608,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utennvolsfan View Post
You can also contact the American Embassy in London. Their Operator Assisted Visa Information Line is 09042-450-100 (within UK only).

As others have said though, you're best off traveling on your US passport. Make sure it's not about to expire as renewal times and new issuances of passports are backed up due to the implementation of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative on June 1.
With all due respect, the OP's question was asked and answered. Did you read the whole thread? My apologies for maybe sounding combative or argumentative but the issue you raised has been already addressed.

If and when the OP decides to exercise his choice as a dual citizen and settle in the US, he's going to have to get a US Social Security Number but that's no big deal since he has a US passport. I wish him luck and advise him that although the grass on the other side of the fence might seem greener, it's more likely not than so. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration