U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:30 AM

187 posts, read 413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Totally untrue. A permanent resident alien (Green Card holder) pays the same taxes as any US citizen, pays into unemployment and social security exactly the same way and is entitled to the same benefits as a US Citizen where unemployment, etc. is concerned, as long as they have paid into the system and met the same criteria as required of a US Citizen. The main restrictions for a PRA is the ineligibility to vote in any US election or hold any government position. And if a PRA leaves the USA, he or she is required to return within one year in order to maintain the PRA status.
This is just a minor quibble but employees don't pay into unemployment, only the employer does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 01:38 PM

3,082 posts, read 6,465,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Totally untrue. A permanent resident alien (Green Card holder) pays the same taxes as any US citizen, pays into unemployment and social security exactly the same way and is entitled to the same benefits as a US Citizen where unemployment, etc. is concerned, as long as they have paid into the system and met the same criteria as required of a US Citizen. The main restrictions for a PRA is the ineligibility to vote in any US election or hold any government position. And if a PRA leaves the USA, he or she is required to return within one year in order to maintain the PRA status.
Thank you for correcting me. However, as another poster pointed out, it is unwise to take recourse to public funds until you have achieved citizenship.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 PM

7,475 posts, read 2,520,689 times
In order to sponsor anyone, you have to provide evidence that you are 120% over the poverty level.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:45 PM

2,895 posts, read 5,410,602 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisete View Post
Hello,
Does anyone knows how a person applying for citizenship could be denied this right, if this person is
economically not doing well? I mean if the applicant has lost a job and right now is receiving some housing assistance. Please, advise on this. Thanks!

I don't think I understand what you are asking,
How can he qualify for housing assistance and he's not a citizen, unless is not government housing

Old 05-28-2009, 04:45 AM

21,704 posts, read 25,336,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleme View Post
This is just a minor quibble but employees don't pay into unemployment, only the employer does.
But if a permanent resident alien is an employer with employees then they do on behalf of their employees. Hey, I'm just quibbling back as I did refer to a PRA in my response, not an employee. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration