U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 09:58 AM

28,157 posts, read 24,194,757 times

Advertisements

As an asian-american (daughter of immigrants) who knows lots of other asians, I can tell you that the parents care most about the kids doing well.

It can be math or science (usually prefered bc the better paying jobs are associated with these concentrations) or art, literature, journalism, athletics, whatever. It doesn't matter which, and to say that asians are not creative is ridiculous. Have you seen the art and read the literature...what about Bollywood, for pete's sake?

The point is that they are expected to excell in whichever field they choose. And they are given support to that end. They are taught about winning and losing and aren't namby-pambied about their fragile egos, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 AM

9,258 posts, read 11,884,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theme2 View Post
Or these kids work harder than kids in other ethnic groups?
These spelling bee kids are working VERY hard at something trivial and of little use. They'd do better to use the time and resources for other goals.

Read the book "Complete and Utter Failure" for an interesting and unflattering take on this spelling bee nonsense.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:02 PM

8,078 posts, read 8,272,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theme2 View Post
I watched the spelling bee contest last night. Out of 11 finalists, 8 were kids of immigrant parents (7 of them Indian), is it just coincidence? Or these kids work harder than kids in other ethnic groups?

Kavya Shivashankar Is National Spelling Bee 2009 Winner - ABC News
Many Immigrants from Asia and India put tons of pressure on their kids to be the best in everything.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I have taught a lot of children of immigrants. The reason Asians excel is simple. In most Asian families, education comes first. It comes before family. It comes before God.

With many Hispanic families, God and family come before education.

You said it all!

Old 05-30-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
These spelling bee kids are working VERY hard at something trivial and of little use. They'd do better to use the time and resources for other goals.

Read the book "Complete and Utter Failure" for an interesting and unflattering take on this spelling bee nonsense.

You just don't get it.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:18 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,248,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They work harder but also, keep in mind, India is the biggest English speaking country in the world. People from India and other Asian countries don't have an objection to learning the language of this country.

You can also notice that people from India aren't victims. You rarely see someone from India sitting around in a welfare office, and they don't seem to have babies they can't afford. They keep their kids in school, have good family values. Many are as religious as anyone else.
Because the poor can't afford to come over to the US most of the time. Most people who do this were poor to begin with. You can't compare middle class Asians (east and southeast) to poor minorities who were born poor and already in this country. And the stereotype that most blacks and hispanics do this is false. Most are hardworking people who do keep their children in school and do have morals and values. It is just that the ones who do "wrong" get more limelight in the media than the ones who do "right".

Old 05-30-2009, 01:14 PM

22,552 posts, read 27,212,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You just don't get it.
Well said. How idiotic!

Old 05-30-2009, 03:33 PM

30,993 posts, read 13,217,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
What an asinine statement.
Explain. In fact, the rest of your post bodes well with what I wrote to begin with, except them coming from a country where being multi-lingual is a part of life. Should I assume THAT is what you thought was asinine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I teach and work closely with many Asians and while they are usually the elite academically many are passive in their communication styles and lack creative ability to think outside the box.

I see very few effective Asian executives and sales people even if English is their first language. They tend to shut down when there is a difference of opinion and do poorly in brain storming, role playing and case studies. Certain aspects of the Asian culture in many cases conflict with what makes America strong.
The first part has to do with attitude. They tend to be passive, vocally, but don't mistake it for lack of ability to think outside the box. Consider the fact that Indian populace makes for only 1% of US population, yet makes up for 15% of doctors, engineers and scientists.

What you perceive as a weakness is actually a cultural thing, not reflective of their professional abilities.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 PM

22,552 posts, read 27,212,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Explain. In fact, the rest of your post bodes well with what I wrote to begin with, except them coming from a country where being multi-lingual is a part of life. Should I assume THAT is what you thought was asinine?
My apologies for not being more precise. Your posit was that in India there are 18 official languages and I would beg to differ and suggest that substituting "dialect" is more appropriate at least where most of those "languages" are concerned.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:57 PM

30,993 posts, read 13,217,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
My apologies for not being more precise. Your posit was that in India there are 18 official languages and I would beg to differ and suggest that substituting "dialect" is more appropriate at least where most of those "languages" are concerned.
Indian constitution recognizes eighteen official languages. And there are over 200 dialects. Link

Note that English is not identified as a scheduled language and not included in the eighteen languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration