U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-18-2010, 07:49 AM

228 posts, read 391,321 times

Advertisements

My bf won a few years ago in the 2006-2007 lottery- he came in from Sweden with a number in the very low 7000s. Found out in May 2006 he had been chosen and then a few months later that his number was up and he was eligible to begin proceedings. Was a smidge cheaper then, but leesis has approximately the right info on costs. Definitely not cheap. I think the USCIS has updated info on their website about what numbers are currently up for consideration.

She really shouldnt need a lawyer for any part of this process including the application or filing.

Penguin- maybe you can answer a question for me. He will be up for citizenship in December 2011- do you know if you can start application before the 5-year date or do you have to wait until you pass the date when the citizenship clock started?

Last edited by sondra_finchley; 05-18-2010 at 08:00 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,449,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sondra_finchley View Post
Penguin- maybe you can answer a question for me. He will be up for citizenship in December 2011- do you know if you can start application before the 5-year date or do you have to wait until you pass the date when the citizenship clock started?
you can apply 90 days before the 5 years are up, and even do the interview before the 5 years, but the oath must betaken on or after the 5th anniversary.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:18 PM

15,706 posts, read 21,190,146 times
I completely forgot I had put up this thread...My friend received her green card in Febr. 2010...so the whole process didn't take too long

Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 13,402 times
Dear sir/Madam,
Am NBUTOBOG christelle.please i applied in 2008-2009 and the result came on june 2009 that was when i receive my reply and i send back the reply in early july in Douala in (DHL).Yes you are right i dont really know why i have not had my sencond reply by now.please i will really appreciate if you can really help me.
please kindly send me my reply by DM

Last edited by Rance; 05-28-2010 at 01:47 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 06:23 AM

3 posts, read 13,402 times
Dear Sir/Madam,
Good day.you are right i won it in june 2009 and i sad in to play in october 2008.Am really worried about the last reply because i have not yet receive it and i will really want to know the time which i will go to the embassy.
I will be pleased if u can help me and to give me the conact of your journoir embassy here in cameroon(Younde).
Thanks and stay blessed.

Last edited by Rance; 05-28-2010 at 01:46 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 09:57 AM

346 posts, read 139,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I completely forgot I had put up this thread...My friend received her green card in Febr. 2010...so the whole process didn't take too long
8 months isn't a long time for you? Oh boy, you Americans must really have a slow bureaucracy...

Old 06-02-2010, 02:04 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,594,372 times
At worst 1-2 years because actually, as weird as it sounds, you do have to wait for a "visa" number before they can process your app. Winning just means "we put you in the queue for a card, we will get back to you when there is a number available"

Old 06-02-2010, 02:06 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,594,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
8 months isn't a long time for you? Oh boy, you Americans must really have a slow bureaucracy...
Uhm we don't just print those whenever desired you know. There are multiple limits and procedures to go through. Usually the delays come from the clients who need time to get their paperwork together, followed by the embassy which is usually swamped denying the daily hordes of applications.

By law there are only so many LPR cards that can be issued (unless you are in the exempt categories) per year, and that limit applies to about 20 different areas. Nobody can do a thing when the limit is reached and you need to wait for the next batch next fiscal year. Don't confuse that with slow clerks

Depending on circumstances, you can actually wait 20 years.... how is that?

Old 06-02-2010, 03:22 AM

6,608 posts, read 6,996,701 times
I'm not sure where you're getting your information regarding the diversity lottery but you're dead wrong. Each year there is a limit of visas for the DV allotted (currently I believe it's 55k). They always send out more offers (you have won) than are allotted, but if you receive the letter then it will assign you a "number" and you have to wait until that number comes up (THAT year - NOT 20 years lol).

The reason they send more offer letters than they have visas is simple - some that "win" for whatever reason, change their minds, or may not qualify on various grounds. Some may not pass the medical exams, or not be able to get a clean police clearance, Even if you pass all the hurdles and "win" it's the chance of a visa you win, all other criteria being met, there is no guarantees.

Embassies are not "swamped denying hordes of applicants" - There are very specific guidelines and time sensitive deadlines.

Please get your info straight before offering your advice.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:25 AM

6,608 posts, read 6,996,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purger View Post
Nothing to do with it - the Diversity or GreenCard Lottery is an annual thing, so obviously it can take up to a year, but more usually from 6-10 months is average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration