U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:59 PM

257 posts, read 934,494 times

Advertisements

thanks marknz for the links!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 05:11 PM

184 posts, read 614,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mellabella View Post
thanks marknz for the links!
Thanks, but to give credit where it is really due, it was minibrings that first posted the link to the official US State Department site about dual citizenship. I just noticed that even after minibrings posted the link T-310 was still insisting it was a problem so obviously hadn't read it. I reposted it to make sure people were getting the real information.

Last edited by MarcNZ; 06-20-2009 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Claim dual citizenship to a CBP officer and watch what happens.
Ok, on the off chance that you are still going to insist that a CBP officer will have a different set of rules to the US State Department, I just did a quick search on the CBP website and found this.

Answer

The relevant part being:
"While we are aware that in some cases, naturalized U.S. citizens use their alternate country's passport to travel, our expectation is that you will use the U.S. passport to travel from another country to the U.S. at both points of travel, departing the foreign country, and arriving into the U.S."

Old 06-20-2009, 08:22 PM

8,101 posts, read 2,850,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
Ok, on the off chance that you are still going to insist that a CBP officer will have a different set of rules to the US State Department, I just did a quick search on the CBP website and found this.

Answer

The relevant part being:
"While we are aware that in some cases, naturalized U.S. citizens use their alternate country's passport to travel, our expectation is that you will use the U.S. passport to travel from another country to the U.S. at both points of travel, departing the foreign country, and arriving into the U.S."
Exactly. And in my case, if someone claims dual to me, I say specify. Either you are a US citizen or not. Usually, a US passport is forthcoming.

I, too, hold a Danish passport as well as a US passport. I used my Danish passport when I used to travel in Europe, once upon a time.

Now, since I utterly detest traveling on the airlines, and haven't since 2003, I suspect I will never use it again.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Exactly. And in my case, if someone claims dual to me, I say specify. Either you are a US citizen or not. Usually, a US passport is forthcoming.

I, too, hold a Danish passport as well as a US passport. I used my Danish passport when I used to travel in Europe, once upon a time.

Now, since I utterly detest traveling on the airlines, and haven't since 2003, I suspect I will never use it again.
Well, I'm glad we reached agreement that you simply have to show your US passport at immigration. But I have to admit I am really confused now. If you hold a Danish and US passport, why did you say...
Quote:
The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship.
when you obviously hold dual citizenship yourself?

Old 06-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
Well, I'm glad we reached agreement that you simply have to show your US passport at immigration. But I have to admit I am really confused now. If you hold a Danish and US passport, why did you say...

when you obviously hold dual citizenship yourself?
I don't consider myself a dual citizen.

I am and always will be a US citizen. I hold no other countries allegiance over my own.

I obtained my Danish passport because my mother was Danish. And I used it for convenience. Thats all.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I don't consider myself a dual citizen.

I am and always will be a US citizen. I hold no other countries allegiance over my own.

I obtained my Danish passport because my mother was Danish. And I used it for convenience. Thats all.
Fair enough. It was a little confusing though. I think most of us consider dual citizenship to be a legal question of whether you may hold citzenship of more than one country at a time. I suspect most people interpreted your posts like I did, that when you were saying "The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship" you were claiming the US government would not allow it, not how you personally felt about it. Well, I'm glad we got there in the end

Old 06-20-2009, 10:47 PM

22,543 posts, read 27,212,060 times
Phew! And the truth eventually comes out! With all due respect I knew about all of this but just sat back and watched all the machinations go back and forth. What you do with your dual citizenship, T-130, is entirely up to you. If you choose to pledge your allegiance entirely to the US and feel that the Danish passport you have is, for whatever reason, irrelevant to your life, then so be it.

It's all semantics but your continual posts on this forum related to, "well, try and tell the border guard that you have dual citizenship and see what THEY say" is plain silly. If you hold dual citizenship for whatever reason, you don't go up to an immigration official and proffer two passports and suggest they pick and choose. If you're ENTERING the US you produce your US passport and if you're ENTERING a European country you produce your EU passport.

If you have a problem being half Danish and holding an EU passport then so be it if that's your druthers but there are many who would love to be in your shoes and have the options which you so summarily dismiss. Cheers!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Phew! And the truth eventually comes out! With all due respect I knew about all of this but just sat back and watched all the machinations go back and forth. What you do with your dual citizenship, T-130, is entirely up to you. If you choose to pledge your allegiance entirely to the US and feel that the Danish passport you have is, for whatever reason, irrelevant to your life, then so be it.

It's all semantics but your continual posts on this forum related to, "well, try and tell the border guard that you have dual citizenship and see what THEY say" is plain silly. If you hold dual citizenship for whatever reason, you don't go up to an immigration official and proffer two passports and suggest they pick and choose. If you're ENTERING the US you produce your US passport and if you're ENTERING a European country you produce your EU passport.

If you have a problem being half Danish and holding an EU passport then so be it if that's your druthers but there are many who would love to be in your shoes and have the options which you so summarily dismiss. Cheers!
Quote:
you don't go up to an immigration official and proffer two passports
You would be surprised at how often that happens.
I have a Danish passport because my mother got one for me. I am not a dual citizen. I was born in the US and will always be a US citizen.

Period.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:49 PM

10,823 posts, read 7,780,299 times
Quote:
You would be surprised at how often that happens.
I have a Danish passport because my mother got one for me. I am not a dual citizen. I was born in the US and will always be a US citizen.

Period.
If you have a Danish passport then you are a Danish citizen.

How you feel about it is one thing, the legal situation is quite another.

A friend of my parents was of Italian origin but had lived in Scotland all his life although his parents were Italian citizens. He didn't realise it but, legally, he was Italian. Once, on a trip to Italy, he was arrested and thrown in jail for not doing his Italian military service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration