U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,975 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have recently fallen in love online with a man from Portugal. Unfortunately in my past is a drug conviction and I won't be off parole until 2012. Can anyone tell me if after that time I could be eligible for dual citizenship if we decided to get married?? And if not, what would he have to do to legally stay and work here for longer than 3 months in the meantime? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Keturah
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:01 PM

24,669 posts, read 66,563,087 times
Forgive me, but falling in love online is in the realm of fantasy and better addressed in the "relationship" forum than this.

If you ever did actually get together and form a relationship offline, decided to be married and moved to Portugal then your future status would have to be determined by the authorities in that country. If you wanted to stay in this country with him (and I'm assuming you're a US citizen) then if you go to the "sticky" at the top of this page you'll find all the links to information you need to know where his potential status is concerned.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:48 AM

27,310 posts, read 15,227,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keturah74 View Post
Hi all. I have recently fallen in love online with a man from Portugal. Unfortunately in my past is a drug conviction and I won't be off parole until 2012. Can anyone tell me if after that time I could be eligible for dual citizenship if we decided to get married?? And if not, what would he have to do to legally stay and work here for longer than 3 months in the meantime? Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Keturah
The US doesn't recognize dual citizenship.

And your intended, if he is here on the visa waiver program should not be working. If he is, he is violating his status and is subject to deportation.

If he arrives for a visit on the visa waiver program, he cannot work, nor get an extension on his entry permit. If you marry him during that time, he still has to depart to Portugal at the expiration of his entry permit and you will have to file the appropriate paperwork to obtain a immigrant visa.

The best thing you can do, is have him come to the US using the visa waiver program, take copious pictures and file a I-129F or fiancee petition. He returns to Portugal and awaits the K-1 visa.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:49 AM

3,080 posts, read 10,676,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

The best thing you can do, is have him come to the US using the visa waiver program, take copious pictures and file a I-129F or fiancee petition. He returns to Portugal and awaits the K-1 visa.
No need to return to Portugal, he can remain in the country while you file a petetion for permanent residency for him--after you are married.

If you are engaged, you can file a K-1 immediately and bring him over on that.

Google: A Couple's Guide to Fiance and Marriage Visas, it's a useful source of information that covers your case.

As for you immigrating to Portugal, that depends on Portugese--and maybe EU--immigration laws. You can probably renounce your US citizenship and become a Portugese citizen through your marriage. I don't know if you will be able to keep your US citizenship and also obtain a Portugese citizenship. More likely you will be able to get something like the Portugese equivilant of a Green Card, letting you stay permanently.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:25 PM

27,310 posts, read 15,227,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
No need to return to Portugal, he can remain in the country while you file a petetion for permanent residency for him--after you are married.

If you are engaged, you can file a K-1 immediately and bring him over on that.

Google: A Couple's Guide to Fiance and Marriage Visas, it's a useful source of information that covers your case.

As for you immigrating to Portugal, that depends on Portugese--and maybe EU--immigration laws. You can probably renounce your US citizenship and become a Portugese citizen through your marriage. I don't know if you will be able to keep your US citizenship and also obtain a Portugese citizenship. More likely you will be able to get something like the Portugese equivilant of a Green Card, letting you stay permanently.
No he can't remain in the country. His I-94w expires, he goes, marriage license notwithstanding.

Besides, if he states he is just visiting yet has the intention of getting married, he has mistated his intent upon entry and makes him subject to deportation, especially if he is caught at the airport. He will be removed via Expedited Removal and will have a five year bar from reentering the US. After that bar is lifted, he can never use the visa waiver program anymore. He will have to file for a waiver and get a non-immigrant visa.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:32 PM

27,089 posts, read 44,397,611 times
Does he even know about you being a felon? What does he think about that?...if he doesn't know, just be honest and tell him...no marriage will survive if it started with dishonesty. I know that many European countries don't allow dual citizenship, I'm not sure about Portugal but I guess it must be similar to the other countries...for some stupid reason Marocco does allow it...

Old 06-06-2009, 10:51 PM

9,984 posts, read 9,946,998 times
The US does allow dual citizenship in most cases due to the supreme court decision Afroyim v Rusk (1967) and I have met several dual citizens. I believe Portugal also allows dual citizenship, but I cannot say what requirements either country has.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:00 PM

27,939 posts, read 60,159,806 times
I've met quite a few people in the Bay Area with two passports... one US and the other Ireland or Swiss being the most common...

I also met a retired Austrian Council that has US and Austrian Passports... I don't know the hows or whys... but I have seen the passport and traveled with the ones having Irish Passports and US Passports... in Europe, I had to wait and go through customs and they showed their Irish Passports and went throught the EU line... both brothers were born in CA

One later married a young girl on a Au Pair 1 year visa... she was able to stay in the country pending the resolution of her status... they now have 2 children and travel back and forth every year...

Old 06-07-2009, 04:18 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,241,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keturah74 View Post

Thanks so much,
Keturah
maybe you find better links to google.

Am I eligible to apply for Portugal citizenship? | Ask Metafilter

as to some information on other eu countries, you are automatically eligible for french citizenship when marrying a french national.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:09 AM

27,089 posts, read 44,397,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've met quite a few people in the Bay Area with two passports... one US and the other Ireland or Swiss being the most common...

I also met a retired Austrian Council that has US and Austrian Passports... I don't know the hows or whys... but I have seen the passport and traveled with the ones having Irish Passports and US Passports... in Europe, I had to wait and go through customs and they showed their Irish Passports and went throught the EU line... both brothers were born in CA

One later married a young girl on a Au Pair 1 year visa... she was able to stay in the country pending the resolution of her status... they now have 2 children and travel back and forth every year...
They must have been young...I think the age is either 18 or 21 and at that time they have to choose which passport they will keep. I guess one of their parents must have been from Ireland otherwise it wouldn't be possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration