Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 04:40 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,649,782 times

Advertisements

Anyone who’s been to New York City (or almost any large US city for that matter) will note how an enormous proportion of cab drivers are immigrants. In New York it’s primarily South Asians, however there are Africans and South Americans at it too. This gives me hope in my quest to move to the US because if they can get in then I reckon I eventually will be able to as well. I was wondering though; how did they get in? No disrespect to them (really, the majority I've encountered have been great) but cab driving isn’t exactly something you need to be world class at or that is in huge demand so how do they manage to get in? There are so many of them that there must be some way (something to do with unskilled labour maybe?). It’s something that I’ve always been curious about, especially since I began doing more research into the bureaucratic wall that is the US immigration system and discovering first hand how complicated it all is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:46 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Well, first off, you can't just cross the pond and get a job. If you go to the 'sticky' at the top of this page, all will become clear about the ins and outs of obtaining resident status and, by the time you've absorbed all those details, becoming a cabbie will be a distant dream.

Even if you were eventually fortunate enough to be able to work in the US, the licensing rules and regulations for cabbies in NYC or any other major metropolis are very stringent. The immigrants you've seen driving those cabs are legal immigrants and they've paid a high cost and gone through rigorous testing to get where they are. Hope that's answered your question - the photo is cute! Cheers!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:20 AM

Lol, thanks. I know that they're all legal, I was just wondering how they got in. I only ask because I know that rules and regs for getting into the US to work are very strict and they're very picky about who they take. I don't get how the US prioritises so strictly based on the importance of the applicant's career or vocation and yet so many people seem to be able to get in to be cab drivers.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:51 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Immigrant Cabbies are either:
1. Immediate family of US citizens or Permanent Residents (PR's).
2. Refugees.
3. Visa Overstays.
3. Illegal Immigrants.

There is no other way in unless you are an sponsored high-tech worker with at least a BS, have a vocation in high demand (like nursing), are a migrant worker on a temporary work visa, an international model, movie star, sports player, or have a spare 500K lying around to invest. Cabbies are none of these.

Good luck.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Immigrant Cabbies are either:
1. Immediate family of US citizens or Permanent Residents (PR's).
2. Refugees.
3. Visa Overstays.
3. Illegal Immigrants.

There is no other way in unless you are an sponsored high-tech worker with at least a BS, have a vocation in high demand (like nursing), are a migrant worker on a temporary work visa, an international model, movie star, sports player, or have a spare 500K lying around to invest. Cabbies are none of these.

Good luck.
Illegal immigrants and visa overstays cannot get a license to operate a cab.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:38 PM

Could they not possibly be working on EB-3 visas? On the US Department of Immigration website it says that one of the groups that come under EB-3s ('Skilled or Professional Workers') are "Foreign national unskilled workers". Could that not potentially include drivers of some sort?

Also, assuming they did something else to obtain permancent residency status and then chose to become a cab driver later on, are they allowed to even do that? I had always assumed that if you jacked in whichever job you got your green card in order to do then you'd be booted out?

Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
Also, assuming they did something else to obtain permancent residency status and then chose to become a cab driver later on, are they allowed to even do that? I had always assumed that if you jacked in whichever job you got your green card in order to do then you'd be booted out?
You assumed wrongly.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You assumed wrongly.
Isn't the system really open to abuse then? By the sounds of things then, in theory someone could just take a job to get the visa and then quit a week later and take up something they couldn't have gotten a visa for.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
Isn't the system really open to abuse then? By the sounds of things then, in theory someone could just take a job to get the visa and then quit a week later and take up something they couldn't have gotten a visa for.
You're thinking backwards. Go to the sticky at the top of this page and read up on the basics of immigration.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:10 AM

I understand the basic principle of it but I took what you said to mean that if you get a company to sponsor you for a green card and then quit the job, you can just get another job elsewhere instead of having to leave. I'm pretty sure that won't be the case unless the system has a huge hole in it.

Nevermind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration