U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 04:28 AM

24,724 posts, read 36,304,832 times

Advertisements

I was just listening to Fox News (rerun of the O'Reily show from yesterday) and they were discussing illegals to be able to register to become legal over here without returning home first. According to the person who was interviewt it would be great since all other illegals who aren't register and are pulled over, have something to hide and nothing good, otherwise they would have registered...that was his point. on top of that he added that most of them are here for 5 or 10 yrs and have tributed to society.

Laura Ingram responded saying "what about all the people who came here legal on visa's and are here just as long and have to go back all the time to apply again and some have no chance on applying for citizenship?"

He stated that so many illegals have no money to return...but earlier he stated they have work and have an income...

Look at CA and how many are out of a job....this will be a toff discussion and IMO the government has to start with legal immigration and doing something for the people who are here legally and here for 5 or 10 yrs and face that their kids have to leave the country when they are 21...

Since when is breaking the law and entering a country illegal, the way to become a legal citizen earlier than legally entering this country!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 07:15 AM

3,080 posts, read 9,518,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
IMO the government has to start with legal immigration and doing something for the people who are here legally and here for 5 or 10 yrs and face that their kids have to leave the country when they are 21...
This is the only part of your diatribe which belongs in the legal immigration forum. Please delete the rest or move your post to the illegal immigration forum.

As to the relevant parts of your comment:

I agree. Anyone who entered legally and can prove that they have been consistently a contributing member of society, or children who were brought here and were raised in the United States, should have a chance to become a permanent resident and eventually a citizen. Comprehensive immigration reform should address this matter.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:57 PM

19,955 posts, read 9,846,717 times
I am totally against amnesty of any kind.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:19 PM

14,217 posts, read 14,348,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I am totally against amnesty of any kind.
I am sympathetic to your perspective. Speaking as a legal immigrant who went through the visa process and then the green card process and finally naturalization with all the cost, paperwork, background checks, etc., it irks me that illegal immigrants should get a pass.

On the other hand, there is a real human and economic issue here which clearly needs to be addressed. There is probably no easy, fair or popular solution.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:43 PM

804 posts, read 1,158,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am sympathetic to your perspective. Speaking as a legal immigrant who went through the visa process and then the green card process and finally naturalization with all the cost, paperwork, background checks, etc., it irks me that illegal immigrants should get a pass.

On the other hand, there is a real human and economic issue here which clearly needs to be addressed. There is probably no easy, fair or popular solution.
I don't think they are just getting handed out a citizenship, even if the CIR is passed, they will still have to go through the whole green card and naturalization process, with all the same cost, paperwork, and background checks. If anything they may even have to pay an additional fine to be able to regularize their status.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:59 PM

2,002 posts, read 3,922,286 times
I don't know how a legal immigrant can agree to protect illegal aliens just considering the costs of visas, etc., the costs of taxes, insurance (for the car, medical, dental), supporting your family with one salary, not being able to get another job, and paying cash for studying because your family can't work and can't receive financial aid, scholarships or apply for a loan for years! (Reality of H1B visas for example). And we are talking about supporting people who break the law to enter. Supporting criminals.

"Addressing real human and economic issues"? I'd agree with that only if the country would consider to take care of people who respected the US and took all the correct steps just to be here first. If not, it would be just as easy as crossing the river...

Last edited by DFWgal; 06-20-2009 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 06-20-2009, 04:10 PM

804 posts, read 1,158,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
I don't know how a legal immigrant can agree to protect illegal aliens just considering the costs of visas, etc., the costs of taxes, insurance (for the car, medical, dental), supporting your family with one salary, not being able to get another job, and paying cash for studying because your family can't work and can't receive financial aid, scholarships or apply for a loan for years! (Reality of H1B visas for example). And we are talking about supporting people who break the law to enter. Supporting criminals.
It's simple, there is no wishing this problem way; mass deportations are not really likely. So it would be more fair for all these people to pay for their visas, the cost of taxes, insurance, and for them to support their own family instead of us supporting them through our taxes.

Quote:

"Addressing real human and economic issues"? I'd agree with that only if the country would consider to take care of people who respected the US and took all the correct steps just to be here first. If not, it would be just as easy as crossing the river...

Old 06-20-2009, 04:14 PM

2,002 posts, read 3,922,286 times
Yes, it would

Old 06-20-2009, 06:53 PM

549 posts, read 1,482,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I was just listening to Fox News (rerun of the O'Reily show from yesterday) and they were discussing illegals to be able to register to become legal over here without returning home first. According to the person who was interviewt it would be great since all other illegals who aren't register and are pulled over, have something to hide and nothing good, otherwise they would have registered...that was his point. on top of that he added that most of them are here for 5 or 10 yrs and have tributed to society.

Laura Ingram responded saying "what about all the people who came here legal on visa's and are here just as long and have to go back all the time to apply again and some have no chance on applying for citizenship?"

He stated that so many illegals have no money to return...but earlier he stated they have work and have an income...

Look at CA and how many are out of a job....this will be a toff discussion and IMO the government has to start with legal immigration and doing something for the people who are here legally and here for 5 or 10 yrs and face that their kids have to leave the country when they are 21...

Since when is breaking the law and entering a country illegal, the way to become a legal citizen earlier than legally entering this country!

That says it all... You listen to Bill and that horrible/unrealistic channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L2513JFJsY

YouTube - Bill O'Reilly Flips Out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLHI0b43xa4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trOdCU6aZOg

Old 06-20-2009, 07:39 PM

184 posts, read 766,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardo983 View Post
That says it all... You listen to Bill and that horrible/unrealistic channel.
I'm not a Fox News fan myself (I prefer a CNN/BBC blend myself ). But the fact that it was on Fox doesn't automatically make it an invalid point of discussion.

Personally, I think that if they are going to do something like this then they should be starting with the people who have been there legally on other types of visas for long periods of time. Shouldn't somebody who has been in the US on something like an H-1B for 5 or 10 years for example have an opportunity to obtain a green card first.

I am very glad that I don't come from somewhere where the situation is so bad that I would rather risk living somewhere else illegally and always looking over my shoulder. I am sympathetic to the desperation of many illegals, but I don't think they should be rewarded in place of those that did things the hard way (i.e. the legal way).

To bentlebee: do you know if this is something that is really being considered by government or if it was just a "what if" discussion? If it is a real plan, do you have any links to anything about it - I would be curious to read more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration