Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:35 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,500,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Even buying a business over here won't give you access to a perminent visa...just a E2 for 5 years or 2 years and if your business is doing well it will be extended. If have kids while having your business and they aren't born here they have to leave the country when they turn 21....so not much rewards if you have a business over here for even 15 or 20 yrs...if you retire, you have to go back to the country you haven't lived in for all these yrs while having provided jobs to American's....crazy isn't it!
I know the subject is one of your pet peeves but if you read the poster's other thread on the subject of emigration, he/she is very young, basically just out of high school with NO job experience and no degree. Nowhere near a business-buying situation such as you describe. Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:26 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,582,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I know the subject is one of your pet peeves but if you read the poster's other thread on the subject of emigration, he/she is very young, basically just out of high school with NO job experience and no degree. Nowhere near a business-buying situation such as you describe. Cheers!
I know but he/she is staing what are the options to get here on a perminent visa without having working experience...I only mentioned it as an option and mentioned it still won't give you perminent status...

Old 06-23-2009, 09:31 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,500,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I know but he/she is staing what are the options to get here on a perminent visa without having working experience...I only mentioned it as an option and mentioned it still won't give you perminent status...
Then since it doesn't give you permanent status then it isn't an option where the OP is concerned because that was his/her question, right?

Old 06-23-2009, 10:07 AM

3,080 posts, read 11,038,121 times
cel, like other posters have mentioned, your best bet is more schooling.

You could try saving up enough money or going for a scholarship at a US university.

If you're accepted to a university, you can get an OPT visa to look for work for 1 year in the US.

Once you find an employer during your OPT year, you can ask them to sponsor you for an H1-b visa. You need to apply before April 14th of the year your OPT expires, so keep that date in mind in all this.

Once you're employed as an H1-b visa holder, you can ask your company to sponsor you for a Green Card and thus a permanent residency with essentially no time limit and a shot at citizenship.

It's a long, hard road. Good luck. Engineering is your best bet for employment in any economy. A MS degree is also better than a BS if you can afford the extra time in the University. Many times you can get your MS while working for the University, thus getting it "for free" sorta.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:37 AM
cel cel started this thread

20 posts, read 57,388 times
Yes, I was just wondering maybe I could go to university to US first. But then I'm going to need lots of money... could you please tell me approximately how much would it be ?

Thank you

Old 06-23-2009, 11:35 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,582,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel View Post
Yes, I was just wondering maybe I could go to university to US first. But then I'm going to need lots of money... could you please tell me approximately how much would it be ?

Thank you
Look at the websites of the school your interested in. Most Colleges have a website and are easy to find if you use google or another search engine.

maybe you meeet some one down the road and fall in love and marry and that way you can get a perminent status....but any other reason than marry out of love, isn't probable not the best thing if you want it to work

Old 06-23-2009, 12:32 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,038,121 times
Very expensive for foreign students. I'd guess on the order of USD 10,000 a semester for a decent school with a minimum of 8 semesters required for a BS.

Like bentle said, check the websites of the schools you are interested in. Try googling USC University if you want LA. They usually have cost-of-schooling calculators to help you out. You might want to consider a more boring area of the country to control costs, though.

There are scholarships out there and you can try applying for a loan. As a graduate student, you can TA and get your tuition deferred in some cases. That's after 4 years of schooling to get your BS. Your training might get a semester's worth of classes taken off your requirements, but I wouldn't count on it.

Good Luck!

Also; look into nursing and specialized nursing visas. You might be able to train in your home country as a nurse and then come over that way. There's a shortage of nurses in the US, and there may be special visas or exemptions made for them. Try searching USCIS Home Page

Old 06-23-2009, 06:55 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,139,744 times
Quote:
Well I have high school + vocational school education In IT. And I have no working experience, which makes finding a job difficult. And I want a visa that won't expire, I want a permanent visa. Can anyone please tell which visa is right for me (cost's etc...). I don't want to bring any people with me, just me. And I was thinking about L.A or Phoenix.
Thanks
What you want doesn't exist.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:56 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,139,744 times
Quote:
What about Employment Visas, isnt there any employment visa that won't expire ?
Doesn't exist.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:34 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,685,917 times
it's better if you get yourslf educated and then try to get to the USA applying as a skilled worker. Your current situation won't give you any chance, unless you marry an American citzien.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration