U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 PM

3 posts, read 44,489 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a citizen of this country and planning on sponsoring the Green card for my mom. She is 67 years old. My biggest question is about her health insurance. If she becomes the permanent resident of this country will she qualify for the Supplemental Social Income and Medicaid. She will not be working here and hence will she qualify under the low income residing alien in this country. Please give me your inputs.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 07:21 AM

5,772 posts, read 7,882,225 times
You are not alone with this dilemma:>(
To the best of my knowledge she will have a five year waiting-period before eligibility.

Start your research at medicare.gov. We found immigrationhealth.com a useful site.

Can you add her to your coverage claiming it "life changing"?

Please get details about her retirement pay. Depending on the country she may loose 25% or more of her benefits.

Please let me know of any progress you make with your research. Thank you.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:00 PM

Any other inputs please?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:07 PM

6,977 posts, read 10,757,648 times
I dont think she would be. I think you are responsible to support her as far as I can remember.

Old 07-04-2009, 11:24 AM

7,853 posts, read 2,702,748 times
Can't draw benefits unless the beneficiary has paid into the system.

Why a sponsor has to be 125% above the poverty level.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:52 PM

914 posts, read 2,387,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Can't draw benefits unless the beneficiary has paid into the system.
I believe this is correct. You have to have worked a certain amount of years in the United States (i.e. paid into the system for a certain amount of years) before you qualify to participate in these programs.

However, there might be other programs for people in her situation. I'm sorry I don't have any more information for you!

Old 07-05-2009, 10:18 AM

469 posts, read 708,341 times
She won't be eligible for any social security benefits, that is unless she gets married (there are more rule after that too though), she WAS married to a person who paid into the system and is either divorced or he has died (again just general guidelines there is more to it than that).

I think the five year waiting period is for SSI, "supplemental income". That program depends on your earnings and assets. She meets the age requirement but that's about it. The good thing about SSI is that in some states an application for SSI (you do it through SSA) is an application for medicaid, so if you are getting SSI you are getting medecaid too.

Social Security Online - The Official Website of the U.S. Social Security Administration is a good place to find out what benefits she might be eligible for, I doubt shes eligible for any one of them right now though.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:19 AM

469 posts, read 708,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
I believe this is correct. You have to have worked a certain amount of years in the United States (i.e. paid into the system for a certain amount of years) before you qualify to participate in these programs.

However, there might be other programs for people in her situation. I'm sorry I don't have any more information for you!
Correct generally it's 10 years (assuming you earn the max ammt of credits per year which is 4), the more the better though since SSA uses 35 years when they calculate their benefits.

Old 07-05-2009, 11:45 AM

10,711 posts, read 7,594,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwoodsyall View Post
Correct generally it's 10 years (assuming you earn the max ammt of credits per year which is 4), the more the better though since SSA uses 35 years when they calculate their benefits.
This assumes that those of us who have been prudent and provided for our old age actually see any Social Security benefits in the future.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:08 PM

If this is the case, by being a permanent resident can we purchase medicare for her, since she is >65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration