Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 07:41 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,684,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanty View Post
I'm a resident and my son was born here. Do we need a passport to go to Mexico or to come back to USA?
There are two issues here:

YOU: Depending on the original grounds on which you became a resident, you may need the Department of Homeland Security to issue a travel document, a reentry permit or a refugee travel document IN ADDITION to your non-US passport. If you are required to have one of those documents and you do not, you may have problems coming back to the US notwithstanding the green card stamp in your passport. Check with your local BCIS office (I know, their phone lines have a "hold" that lasts forever, but you really should do this).

YOUR SON: No offense to any other poster, but please, don't listen to people who say that he can travel with just his birth certificate. That may technically be the rule, but as a practical matter, everyone MUST, MUST, MUST have his or her US passport when traveling abroad, no matter how young, even an infant. Trust me on this one. The passport is the most immediate and most trusted proof of one's identity and nationality, and the hardest one to fake (birth certificates still aren't biometric). In this post-9/11 environment, when regulations change constantly and when officials throughout the world are frequently confused by the never-ending flux and prone to knee-jerk reactions, not having a passport for every member of your family is very foolish. Getting a US passport is fast, easy and relatively inexpensive; there is really no good reason not to get one. So get one. And take the birth certificate with you also. (Disclaimer to others: Please, I don't want to hear stories how you went abroad with just your birth certificate and everything was fine. Good for you. And I, despite traveling very extensively, never had an airline misplace my bags (knock on wood). Just because things went smoothly for one person doesn't mean s*** doesn't happen to others.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

ALSO: If your son is a minor, you will need to present his birth certificate when checking in to an international flight. If the birth certificate lists a father, you must also present: a written, notarized permission from the father, with his contact details (and preferably with a copy of his photo ID), allowing you to take the kid out of the country; OR a copy (preferably certified) of a court decree awarding you sole legal custody, not just physical custody; OR a copy of the father's death certificate, whichever is applicable. Have several copies of the required documents, because this one is pursuant to international regulations: so you will need the paperwork when boarding the flight out of Mexico, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
No offense to any other poster, but please, don't listen to people who say that he can travel with just his birth certificate. That may technically be the rule, but as a practical matter, everyone MUST, MUST, MUST have his or her US passport when traveling abroad, no matter how young, even an infant. Trust me on this one.
So in other words, what the official US Government sites expressly say is technically correct but not really correct? I beg to disagree with the whole premise of your post and believe you are quite incorrect.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
So in other words, what the official US Government sites expressly say is technically correct but not really correct? I beg to disagree with the whole premise of your post and believe you are quite incorrect.
First of all, what official US Government sites expressly say (although, being a stickler for correctness, you should realize that "say" is not the proper word here, as well as that "really" isn't an antonym of "technically") does not apply to what foreign officials do. (Contrary to the opinion held by some, the US Government's jurisdiction does not extend to foreign territory.) The US Government may dispense with the requirement of a passport in certain circumstances, but some countries require all foreigners to have passports while on their territory, at least in certain cities -- and not all of those countries put that information on their official Government websites. The municipality of Paris is one notable example, and there are others. I don't know about Mexico, but it seems to me that simply getting a passport is easier than doing research. Second, what the official US Government sites expressly say does not include a guarantee that it will not say something different in the future -- which should be a particular concern to anyone who plans to stay abroad for an extended period of time. Third, as surprising as it may sound, what the official US Government sites expressly say does not necessarily guarantee any particular action on the part of an individual border control official -- but good luck referring to the official US Government websites when you are standing at the border control booth. Fourth, the official US Government websites are silent as to the kind of proof of nationality the US would require for an emergency evacuation of or disaster relief for its citizens in the event of a major environmental disaster, war, revolution, etc. Bottom line, my "premise" is that instead of relying exclusively on what the official US Government websites say today, one should rely on a combination of different kinds of information, plus common sense (which should tell you that having a passport is a lot less likely to result in hassles and problems than not having it).

Fifth: Since you, by your own words, disagree with the WHOLE premise of my post, please state your basis for your belief that my statements about re-entry documents or requirements for international travel with a minor are "quite incorrect". Much obliged.

Sixth and final: This isn't a competition, mate. Take it easy.

Last edited by Redisca; 07-23-2009 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 11:15 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
These days, you might as well just get the passport. They are not prohibitively expensive so why not just get it instaed of trying to figure out the regulations and/or carrying around a copy of the BC?

Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
These days, you might as well just get the passport. They are not prohibitively expensive so why not just get it instaed of trying to figure out the regulations and/or carrying around a copy of the BC?
Absolutely agree. We can discuss the "technicalities" forever but, as a practical matter, might as well just have the passport.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
All kinds of gobbledegook being posted here.

The US Passport identifies the holder as being a US citizen when going to another country regardless what the other country has in it's mind or it's needs.

Bottom line is to re enter the US from another country be it Canada or Mexico or other countries via Airlines... a Passport is needed.

The old days of a persons verbal declaration or drivers license is history.

After 9/11 security at the border is being secured.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
All kinds of gobbledegook being posted here.

The US Passport identifies the holder as being a US citizen when going to another country regardless what the other country has in it's mind or it's needs.

Bottom line is to re enter the US from another country be it Canada or Mexico or other countries via Airlines... a Passport is needed.
Well, land and water crossings were specifically mentioned, although that brings to mind something else I forgot to mention. Even if you decide to drive in order to make do with just the birth certificate, you never know if the circumstances would force you to return by plane.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:45 PM

24,545 posts, read 10,869,900 times
??? Now does she need a passport for herself and the child or not? I do opt for yes.
As OP has not returned her question may have been answered or not. You may want to read up on all of her posts.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:08 AM

589 posts, read 1,560,374 times
If you don't have a passport... you are at the mercy of the border guard. If he/she is in a bad mood or simply does not like your face... you will get hell... you could be in big trouble!

Last edited by wilvan; 07-24-2009 at 03:55 AM..

Old 07-24-2009, 06:07 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
As do I.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration