U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 05:13 PM

166 posts, read 401,723 times

Advertisements

Would it be easier for me to enter/get a job here if i have a degree from an American university?
A college back home is doing a new degree in which i spend 2 years at an irish university and 2 years a Northeastern in Boston (icl. a semester of work experience, hopefully in NYC)

The degree is in international business, and i get 2 degrees, one from Dublin City Uni and one from Northeastern University.

Would this improve my chances of getting into the USA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 06:19 PM

923 posts, read 1,355,918 times
Try the green card lottery if you or your parents were born in Ireland

Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 PM

786 posts, read 1,742,481 times
This would certainly give you contacts in the US which would assist in an employer sponsored work visa.

Old 08-22-2009, 07:24 PM

166 posts, read 401,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
Try the green card lottery if you or your parents were born in Ireland
I was going to as im British, but my parents are both Irish, but i think theres some law that says they had to be resident in Ireland at the time of my birth (the were both living in London)

Old 08-22-2009, 08:18 PM

184 posts, read 607,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ire2usa View Post
I was going to as im British, but my parents are both Irish, but i think theres some law that says they had to be resident in Ireland at the time of my birth (the were both living in London)
It depends why they were living in London. It's not so much that the were supposed to be resident in Ireland, but that they were not really residents of Britain. Here is the official text from the diversity visa instructions:

Quote:
if you were born in a country not eligible to participate in this year’s DV program, you can be “charged” to the country of birth of either of your parents as long as neither parent was a resident of the ineligible country at the time of the your birth. In general, people are not considered residents of a country in which they were not born or legally naturalized if they are only visiting the country, studying in the country temporarily, or stationed temporarily in the country for business or professional reasons on behalf of a company or government from a country other than the country in which the applicant was born.
So, It may be worth checking out depending on their situation at the time.

As for your US qualification. Personally, I think it will help a little when you are applying for jobs as employers will not have to do any research about the quality of your university like they may have to with overseas qualifications. Anything that makes things a little easier for a prospective employer has to help, right?

Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,908,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
It depends why they were living in London. It's not so much that the were supposed to be resident in Ireland, but that they were not really residents of Britain. Here is the official text from the diversity visa instructions:

So, It may be worth checking out depending on their situation at the time.

As for your US qualification. Personally, I think it will help a little when you are applying for jobs as employers will not have to do any research about the quality of your university like they may have to with overseas qualifications. Anything that makes things a little easier for a prospective employer has to help, right?
There are companies that will look at your degree transcripts and equate it to US qualification.Most immigration lawyers will do that anyway.My UK RN qualification (not degree as trained years ago) plus all the post reg courses I had done (some at degree level) and my experience) equated to a BSN over in the US. My husband had no problems with his UK Masters degree.
I am not sure, but I have a feeling that if you study in the US (assume you will have a student visa) you may be allowed a period in the US after the programme finishes-but maybe this is just nurses being allowed to get more clinical hours.
Try someof the UK ex pat or dedicated immigration forums.
There are also some immigration attorneys who will give you a 30min session for free.Make sure they are members of AILA
AILA - American Immigration Lawyers Association

Old 08-23-2009, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
There are companies that will look at your degree transcripts and equate it to US qualification.Most immigration lawyers will do that anyway.My UK RN qualification (not degree as trained years ago) plus all the post reg courses I had done (some at degree level) and my experience) equated to a BSN over in the US. My husband had no problems with his UK Masters degree.
I am not sure, but I have a feeling that if you study in the US (assume you will have a student visa) you may be allowed a period in the US after the programme finishes-but maybe this is just nurses being allowed to get more clinical hours.
Try someof the UK ex pat or dedicated immigration forums.
There are also some immigration attorneys who will give you a 30min session for free.Make sure they are members of AILA
AILA - American Immigration Lawyers Association

I was actually thinking more in terms of the quality of the institution than the equivalency of the qualification. Do those companies do that sort of thing? Like say University X in such and such a country is of a similar quality to university Y in the US. I thought those companies just verified that a 3 or 4 year bachelors degree in some other country for example is equivalent to a 3 or 4 year degree in the US.

Also, for most occupations, you need the job offer before you need to deal with immigration, so wasn't even thinking about the immigration lawyers yet. You need to convince the employer first, so that's why I was suggesting that if they see a US university they recognise the name of, they might be more inclined to take a second look at the application than a foreign university they have never heard of and will need to find out about (but maybe I'm assuming most people receiving applications are lazier than they really are ).

Old 08-24-2009, 04:52 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,908,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcNZ View Post
I was actually thinking more in terms of the quality of the institution than the equivalency of the qualification. Do those companies do that sort of thing? Like say University X in such and such a country is of a similar quality to university Y in the US. I thought those companies just verified that a 3 or 4 year bachelors degree in some other country for example is equivalent to a 3 or 4 year degree in the US.

Also, for most occupations, you need the job offer before you need to deal with immigration, so wasn't even thinking about the immigration lawyers yet. You need to convince the employer first, so that's why I was suggesting that if they see a US university they recognise the name of, they might be more inclined to take a second look at the application than a foreign university they have never heard of and will need to find out about (but maybe I'm assuming most people receiving applications are lazier than they really are ).
Hi
I am not sure how it works. i think with my nursing qualifications they looked at hours of study (theory and clinical) for my basic qualification (which was diploma level) then as I had 60 points post grad at level 6 (degree level) and other post grad certs they equated it to a Bs Nursing in the US. I had an awful lot more clinical hours in my training (maybe 3 times as much) as some nurses with BSN in the US get now.The CGFNS contacted the university that held my records to get the transcripts-you aren't allowed to provide them yourself.Took months!

I understand what you mean about a US university catching their eye.
But if you are applying to a large company then it's often online and you have to chase and follow up with phone calls otherwise it may just lie in a heap in an HR office somewhere.
We were told -chase,follow up,chase and follow up!

Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Hi
I am not sure how it works. i think with my nursing qualifications they looked at hours of study (theory and clinical) for my basic qualification (which was diploma level) then as I had 60 points post grad at level 6 (degree level) and other post grad certs they equated it to a Bs Nursing in the US. I had an awful lot more clinical hours in my training (maybe 3 times as much) as some nurses with BSN in the US get now.The CGFNS contacted the university that held my records to get the transcripts-you aren't allowed to provide them yourself.Took months!

I understand what you mean about a US university catching their eye.
But if you are applying to a large company then it's often online and you have to chase and follow up with phone calls otherwise it may just lie in a heap in an HR office somewhere.
We were told -chase,follow up,chase and follow up!
That's really interesting. It sounds like quite a hassle to get the equivalency of qualifications verified. I hope I never have to go through that.

Prior to reading this, I would have guessed that nursing was similar to engineering (my qualifications). In engineering there is an agreement called the washington accord that was signed off by the professional bodies of a bunch of different countries (US, UK, Aus, NZ, Canada...) that basically says that if the local professional body approves a 4 year degree as meeting the requirements for professional engineering, then it is automatically recognised as being equivalent to a 4 year degree in any of the other countries. In theory, I should never need to prove that my degree is equivalent to a US degree. I just assumed that who ever licenses/registers nurses would have an agreement like this with each other too. But I guess not, which is a shame.

Where my main challenge lies is in getting my CV past an initial HR department person who will probably never have heard of my University (it's fine once it gets to the person who ultimately makes the decision as they will probably be an engineer themselves, or at least have had enough working for them to know what to check for). I need to make it very clear in my initial applications that although they may never have heard of my University, globally it's pretty highly ranked. It would be quite nice if I could get some sort of certification that showed them straight away roughly where it would fit on a US ranking list.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:39 AM

5,774 posts, read 7,896,348 times
Have you checked out WES?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration