Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:06 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,063,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizbolat View Post
My wife filed divorce saying that "I got married to her to obtain US Citizenship". So I went to an immigration lawyer for advice and he said "Man there are almost 320 million US citizens in this country. half of them are female. Divorce on on real resons(clean divorce record for future) and find someone else."
I left VA 4 months ago and I really love Seattle. It's very different from east coast. I told everything to my girlfriend and she's ready to do anything for me. I love her so much. Actually I dont need a green card. I have Drivers License which doesnt expire for 5 years, I have social security card that I reprint to remove "Valid For Work Only With DHS Authorization".
Wow. You are committing immigration fraud and posting about it on an open internet forum? That's a really bad idea. Both the fraud and then bragging about it.

You are now a visa overstay and should leave immediately. I suppose you already know that marrying your girlfriend would give you a remote shot at a Green Card, but since you show such flagrant disregard for the laws of the United States, I think you should leave. I don't like the immigration system and the hoops you have to jump through, but I like your behavior even less.

As STT Resident pointed out, you will have a very hard time adjusting status due to your previous divorce, even if immigration fraud isn't indicated on the divorce papers. Your previous wife will probably get a visit from immigration authorities now and definitely in the future should you ever try to obtain a GC through a future marriage or work.

Due to your actions, your best course now is to prepare to leave the United States. Be aware that you probably didn't get good advice from your immigration lawyer. A large percentage of immigration lawyers will simply lie and tell you "everything is fine" for a hefty fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 08:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Wow. You are committing immigration fraud and posting about it on an open internet forum? That's a really bad idea. Both the fraud and then bragging about it.

You are now a visa overstay and should leave immediately. I suppose you already know that marrying your girlfriend would give you a remote shot at a Green Card, but since you show such flagrant disregard for the laws of the United States, I think you should leave. I don't like the immigration system and the hoops you have to jump through, but I like your behavior even less.

As STT Resident pointed out, you will have a very hard time adjusting status due to your previous divorce, even if immigration fraud isn't indicated on the divorce papers. Your previous wife will probably get a visit from immigration authorities now and definitely in the future should you ever try to obtain a GC through a future marriage or work.

Due to your actions, your best course now is to prepare to leave the United States. Be aware that you probably didn't get good advice from your immigration lawyer. A large percentage of immigration lawyers will simply lie and tell you "everything is fine" for a hefty fee.
I'm guessing he's not even divorced yet and since the present wife has already filed for divorce basically citing intent to defraud immigration, that red flag is on its way down the bureaucratic pipeline. And I'll bet the OP didn't tell the "immigration lawyer" exactly what his wife did cite on the divorce petition nor how he's been altering his SS card...

Old 12-25-2009, 08:35 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
what is your legal status in USA? you didnt get your green card when married. you already know.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
what is your legal status in USA? you didnt get your green card when married. you already know.
His J-1 visa expired over a year ago and he's remained illegally.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:21 AM

786 posts, read 2,761,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizbolat View Post
My wife filed divorce saying that "I got married to her to obtain US Citizenship". So I went to an immigration lawyer for advice and he said "Man there are almost 320 million US citizens in this country. half of them are female. Divorce on on real resons(clean divorce record for future) and find someone else."
I left VA 4 months ago and I really love Seattle. It's very different from east coast. I told everything to my girlfriend and she's ready to do anything for me. I love her so much. Actually I dont need a green card. I have Drivers License which doesnt expire for 5 years, I have social security card that I reprint to remove "Valid For Work Only With DHS Authorization".
So you're going to go from being an "accidental" illegal alien, to a full blown beating the system illegal alien, with some forgery and federal fraud thrown in. I guess you have achieved the american dream.

People like you make it harder for the honest legal immigrants to be processed through the system. No wonder the government treats all applicants as if they are trying to cheat the system. You're a perfect example of someone who entered the country legally and is now making a concious decision to become an illegal.

Good luck on trying to stay one step ahead of immigration. If you go ahead with this plan, I hope you end up living your life looking over your shoulder all the time.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:46 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
I knew this guy was holding back when I read his first post. His visa expired, never applied for a GC but he has a DL and SS card?

Old 12-28-2009, 08:51 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
I knew this guy was holding back when I read his first post. His visa expired, never applied for a GC but he has a DL and SS card?
His SS card should be limited to the duration of his visa. An employer may not request updated information for I9. DL gets issued for a normal period in some states.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
If you are between 18 and 26 federal laws says that you are suspose to have registered with the selective service.. Question to you is :"have you done this"? If not you are a federal law breaker and need to turn yourself in to the police. If not maybe you need to sneak out of the country now before that catch you.....LOL
That's a good idea actually -- do the voluntary departure before you're caught because once it's on your record, it's worse for your future immigration efforts.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:58 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecaliforniabear View Post
i do that all the time. And i'm a us citizen.
lol!!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,428,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
His SS card should be limited to the duration of his visa. An employer may not request updated information for I9. DL gets issued for a normal period in some states.
Actually you are required to re-verify info after expiration:

Quote:
Updating and Verification

Reverification requirement: Employers are required to reverify employment eligibility. When an employee's employment authorization (indicated in Section 1) or evidence of employment authorization recorded in Section 2 has expired.

Employer I-9 Compliance in a Nutshell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration