Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 11:23 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times

Advertisements

One of the things which makes the USA a desirable place to be is that one can air his/her opinion. Some people just can't shut up, repeat themselves over and over, and become complete bores about any number of subjects. Ignoring them is a great idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 12:53 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,781,512 times
There are people who are here because they have been stationed by their company in the U.S.

When I was living in Japan, I used to hear American expats complain about stuff going on in that country.

No nation is perfect and not every country is going to be congruent to the sensibility of a given person. So their kvetching about the U.S. doesn't bother me.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
What's bad is that there are far better would-be immigrants who should come instead of the ingrates that despise this country. We need to have better standards, there is no shortage of people who would like to immigrate here so why do we take so many who really don't like this country?

Old 10-01-2009, 04:33 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I bascailly ignore them. Its like epople that are home sick complaining of the culture in other states to me.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:39 AM

321 posts, read 960,401 times
Take it one step farther. What about if the people of different states make negative comments about a state they've moved to? What about city people criticizing the rural area they've moved to or vice versa? Some people complain about everything, whether or not they are a foreigner.

I know that in this age of political correctness, there is a major drive to prevent people from saying what they think, but I believe that any country that considers free speech one of its most fundamental values would be ill advised to place a restriction on who is allowed to criticize things.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:35 PM

7 posts, read 43,119 times
Our soldiers have fought and died to ensure freedom of many types. By allowing this person to complain in front of you about America, you represent what it means to be American. Allow him to experience the privilege we experience everyday.

Remember . . . you, too, have freedom of speech. Please verbally defend our country if it makes sense. Some things in America don't.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:07 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudob2 View Post
How would you feel as a born American if persons who were not U.S citizens but were residing in the United States ( i.e holders of a work permit or green card ) went on the internet and posted negatives things or constantly complained about living in America. Does having a work permit or a green card give them this right or priveledge ?
I would say..."go back" and I wish that Americans who are negative, like Sean Penn, Susan Sarandon, etc... would leave too. Put them together on an island and see how much they would like it and for every complaining and bashing American, get a legal alien over here who wants to help to make this country better and live the American dream!

Old 10-04-2009, 04:59 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,601,212 times
Who cares? if you don't like it, move on. no one's making you listen.
Besides, sometimes people have legitimate complaints. If no one complained then nothing would ever improve.
If you can't even take a few complaints when surrounded by your own compatriots, you have self-esteem issues.

Last edited by bluebeard; 10-04-2009 at 05:41 PM..

Old 10-04-2009, 05:07 PM

1,340 posts, read 2,803,956 times
Quote:
How would you feel as a born American if persons who were not U.S citizens but were residing in the United States ( i.e holders of a work permit or green card ) went on the internet and posted negatives things or constantly complained about living in America. Does having a work permit or a green card give them this right or priveledge ?
No, God gave them the right to express themselves,-listen,you'll learn more from your critics than your friends.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:47 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
I think it depends why they're there and what exactly they're complaining about or just how much they complain. As an American living in England, I'd be lying if I said there are things about life in the UK that I don't like. But because I'm not a British citizen, does that mean I don't have the right to complaining about something I don't like? I came here to be with my English husband, not because I just wanted to live in England, and simply uprooting ourselves back the US isn't that easy. Plus, there are things that I really love about living in England too. It has it's positives and negatives and as someone who has experienced both, I think I have the right to speak about both.

But if someone can find little to nothing positive about living in another country and constantly gripe about anything and everything they can think of, it would certainly make me wonder why they're still there. I'd try not to let it offend me because they aren't worth it and I'm not saying they don't have the right to express their opinion. But you'd think if someone hated the country that much, there would be enough motivation to leave. Especially if they came to the country because they specifically wanted to live there and only afterwards discovered it didn't meet their expections. If they have nothing in particular keeping them in that country - such as a spouse - why stay? It's people like that who make me think they're not happy unless they have something to complain about - they're not happy unless they're actually unhappy.

That said, on a different but similar topic - it's unrealistic to expect most American citizens to leave their own country if they are not happy with it. For celebrities, it's much easier but for the average citizen, it's often not even legally possible to gain residency in another country, especially another English speaking country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration