Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 01:35 PM

24,085 posts, read 10,416,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I think he probably used that as an example, not that he comes from there.

I agree Dubai is no third-world wages type of place. I know someone who works in Dubai and he is not a piker who could not pay $6,000 in five years! He'd definitely have it paid off in less than one year.

Low level (entry) and low paid workers from the third world arrive everyday in the USA for training so that doesn't mean the OP is anything special. OP's employer probably just doesn't know about the debts or if they knew, might not care anyway since it won't affect them directly. Even if the credit card companies got a judgment against the OP they cannot garnish the OP's pay overseas like they could if he lived here, so there is no inconvenience to an employer overseas.
Ethics play a large role in some cultures' professional relationships and even find their way into expat contracts. For example - one of the European auto manufacturers considers DUI in the US reason for dismissal.

OP has already let it be known that he does not wish a lesson in ethics. He has to live knowing he is a thief and that it may come back to haunt him one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 01:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,210,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
You'd think the credit card companies would be smarter than to give a student here on an F1 a credit card. I think there is fine print that states that you certify you are a citizen or Green Card holder when you apply for a credit card. If so and he signed anyhow, he could be brought up on fraud charges.
Do you think they are going overseas to do that though? It's not worth the money to chase someone over in India (or anywhere) and prosecute them over there for some measly $6000.

These people lie on the applications and do not identify themselves as F1 non-immigrants, and if they choose not to pay, go home and not pay. Then the credit card customers in America can make up for it.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Ethics play a large role in some cultures' professional relationships and even find their way into expat contracts. For example - one of the European auto manufacturers considers DUI in the US reason for dismissal.

OP has already let it be known that he does not wish a lesson in ethics. He has to live knowing he is a thief and that it may come back to haunt him one day.
LMAO! Well concerning the ones we deal with the most in goods and services, China and India, the "ethic" is to cheat, lie and steal as much as you can.

Example: all the dangerous and poisonous products the Chinese knowingly export. The pet food wheat product scandal was particularly "brilliant," as they put a poisonous chemical in it to make it look like it was more nutritious and therefore get paid a higher amount of money. Lesson learned: they will do anything for MORE money that they rightfully deserve for their product, even kill the customer.

Example: Bribery and stealing is a way of life in India from the government on down (like the saying "the fish stinks from the head"). I notice the ones who have moved here are taking to white collar crime like a duck takes to water. Just a few of the very recent stories:

America̢۪s high-tech sweatshops - BusinessWeek.com- msnbc.com

US Hedge Fund Scam | Four Indians Booked | Galleon Group | Fraud - Oneindia News

Another reason why I prefer people with the European sensibilities (no matter what their race is I have to add).

Old 11-12-2009, 02:14 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,874,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Do you think they are going overseas to do that though? It's not worth the money to chase someone over in India (or anywhere) and prosecute them over there for some measly $6000.
No, but if he reenters the US they could have a warrant waiting.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
No, but if he reenters the US they could have a warrant waiting.
I at least hope the CC companies do it for very high amounts of debt. That would be really cool to see some *^A#W$ who spent money knowing they would move back overseas and never pay it back get the cuffs slapped on them for fraud and grand or petit larceny right at the airport!

Old 11-12-2009, 02:33 PM

9 posts, read 44,887 times
Come on guys!

You can’t call a debtor thief for not paying back his/her debts unless you are 100% sure that the intent was to not pay at all. And if you disagree, you should call all people thieves when they lost their properties or an asset for such an obligation. Even the government of USA has debts for some other countries, which it’s not settled yet.

And you can’t say that no one of you –who changed the subject of this post- were ever late on paying his utilities bills or any other obligations.

Dead debts are over a thousand billions in USA, and if you go back to statistic it won’t show a noticeable percentage for foreigner people comparing with the USA citizens.

How did I apply for the credit cards! Come on again, google and read. Foreigners can get CC at any country when they have good history and the worst choice is to have a prepaid CC similar to debt cards. There was nothing wrong or lie in the applications I signed.

Employers as one already said won’t care employee’s debts unless he can assure the bad intent and results.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.salem View Post
Come on guys!

You can’t call a debtor thief for not paying back his/her debts unless you are 100% sure that the intent was to not pay at all. And if you disagree, you should call all people thieves when they lost their properties or an asset for such an obligation. Even the government of USA has debts for some other countries, which it’s not settled yet.

And you can’t say that no one of you –who changed the subject of this post- were ever late on paying his utilities bills or any other obligations.

Dead debts are over a thousand billions in USA, and if you go back to statistic it won’t show a noticeable percentage for foreigner people comparing with the USA citizens.

How did I apply for the credit cards! Come on again, google and read. Foreigners can get CC at any country when they have good history and the worst choice is to have a prepaid CC similar to debt cards. There was nothing wrong or lie in the applications I signed.

Employers as one already said won’t care employee’s debts unless he can assure the bad intent and results.
Of course the prepaid CC is "the worst choice" for someone like you because you have to fund that yourself, you are not getting a line of credit from someone else to spend.

So in order to get a credit card, you signed the CC companies' applications as if you were a green card holder or citizen even though you were here on a temporary F-1 student visa and you think "that is nothing wrong or lie?" That is committing fraud.

By the way, where do you come from?

Old 11-12-2009, 02:55 PM

9 posts, read 44,887 times
You are wrong here my friend even F-1 students can get CC. I don't know if they change the policies since 2004.

I don't think it' important to know my nationality unless you want to blame French nationfor my situation!

Old 11-12-2009, 02:56 PM

26,585 posts, read 61,874,587 times
Quote:
Come on guys!

If all the countries taht owe the US money would pay up, we could easily pay our debts.

Quote:

I never have been. I take great pride in the fact taht I have always paid my bills ontime, even if it meant doing without.

Quote:

What difference does that make?

Quote:
Quote:

You hope.

Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
You are wrong here my friend even F-1 students can get CC. I don't know if they change the policies since 2004.

I don't think it' important to know my nationality unless you want to blame French nationfor my situation!
Nationality is important because perhaps you are from a country with very poor ethics when it comes to honesty, so we would blame YOU less. And I don't think you are French just by the way you write, pal.

If you are someone who went to college in the USA, why do you write such broken english?

Did you pay a lot of money for your fourth-rate education over here? If that is the case then YOU were ripped off!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration