Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2009, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 20,393 times

Advertisements

I've been working in Colorado with a P1 for 3 years and I heard I can apply for my US citizenship. Every time I bring the subject to my boss he starts talking about something else and it seems like he doesn't want me to try and get one. I understand his point, since once I get my citizenship I'm no longer attached to him. My questions are: what do I need to apply to my citizenship? Do I need a sponsor to apply for it? Does it have to be my actual boss? Am I eligible already?
Please, I need help from a Immigration lawyer only!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 02:23 PM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
Citizenship is a long way from P1. You need to do some homework. uscis.gov is your best source.
Your P1 has a maximum duration of five years which means in two years you will have between 10-30 days to leave the US.
Why are you "attached to him"? P1 allows you to work for several sponsors but each one has to file a petition.
You are probably talking about employer sponsored green cards have to be sponsored by the employer. Unless you have details about this in your employment contract you depend on your employer's good will. No matter how good of an attorney you will pay - verbal promises are nothing but promises.

Old 11-25-2009, 02:30 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,731 times
You say you need help from an immigration lawyer- the people in here are not that, we are just readers who have gone through immigration.

You cannot directly gain citizenship from a P1, as it is not an immigration visa but a temporary worker visa. However, you can apply for an "adjustment of status" to gain a green card, which eventually (usually after 5 years iof holding it) can lead to citizenship. To apply for an adjustment of status, you will need form I-485- and yes, you need to fill that out yourself- and a sponsor; I am unclear as to whether the sponsor needs to be your employer under the I-129.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:34 PM

Penguin
Were it possible for holders of temporary worker visas be it H1B or R1 ... to file for GCs on their own the US would have a population explosion:>) Sponsor has to be employer of record of valid visa. I have seen the GC sponsorship anchored in contracts or used to retain employees with contractural restrictions in US based contracts. It is a big carrot!
OP should figure out where he stands a) relationship with current employer b) future employment under R1 c) potential sponsors. His remark "no longer attached to him" sends out negative signals. Also - approaching his employer about citizenship shows that he is totally uninformed about his status and potential changes. Time to get his ducks in a row and talk business!

Old 11-25-2009, 05:29 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,770,731 times
You are probably right, Threestep. OP's best option may be to wait the next two years and work hard, so that his employer will want to keep him when the visa is up and may offer to sponsor.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 20,393 times
There are a few reasons why I want to get citizenship. The main one is because I don't want to move back to my country. I'm completely acclimated with US and I'm from a violent 3rd world country. Another reason why I don't like the P1 is the risk I take every time I go back to my country to visit my family. The consulate has to renew my VISA and, although I always do everything right like pay my taxes, never get in trouble, etc., they always give me a hard time to renew and I'm afraid one day they'll deny my VISA. The third reason is the fact that I have somebody who's willing to invest money on opening the same kind of business with me, but as a partner and not as an employer.
Any ideas of what my options would be? I heard if I invest $50,000 in a company I can get a better VISA than P1. Is that true?
Thanks for your help!

Old 11-26-2009, 04:29 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by es10 View Post
There are a few reasons why I want to get citizenship. The main one is because I don't want to move back to my country. I'm completely acclimated with US and I'm from a violent 3rd world country. Another reason why I don't like the P1 is the risk I take every time I go back to my country to visit my family. The consulate has to renew my VISA and, although I always do everything right like pay my taxes, never get in trouble, etc., they always give me a hard time to renew and I'm afraid one day they'll deny my VISA. The third reason is the fact that I have somebody who's willing to invest money on opening the same kind of business with me, but as a partner and not as an employer.
Any ideas of what my options would be? I heard if I invest $50,000 in a company I can get a better VISA than P1. Is that true?
Thanks for your help!
P1 gives you no right to adjust status to file for I-485. Neither does the $ 50K help you for a different status. You need to invest at least $ 125K to get a E2 visa which isn't a visa to obtain a GC either...

From H1 visa you can adjust status...

Isn't it crazy that Obama and his government always talk about making illegals having a way to become citizens or getting a GC while people on a several different visa's have no chance, while their background has been checked, they paid taxes and are spending money here to stimulate the economy while illegals mostly send their income to their home country and drive around with no ins.!

I would say, change the law for legal aliens first!

Old 11-26-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by es10 View Post
Thanks for your help!
It is absolutely irrelevant what you want or do not like or why you want it or do not like it. It does not matter where you come from or why you do not want to return there. US immigration laws apply. The US consulate does not HAVE TO renew your visa. Paying your taxes is IRS business not USCIS. As mentioned over and over - uscos.gov
I love rumors! They are like egos - the further they spread from the source the bigger they get. No, 50k investment is nothing but a rumor. Why do you not read up on visas? Start with the stickies in this forum. Investment visa has to be funds invested at risk creating jobs and is generally limited to a certain timeframe. Unless you can invest 500k again at risk.
As I said before unless you get your ducks in a row you may find yourself in a bind sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration