Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 10,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
No reason to read between lines.
Get your passport for starters. Try not to forget filing US taxes. They are a bit funny about that.
Even with your US passport in hand you will have to go through the appplication process at UC and will not qualify for in-state tuition for at least the first year.
ya I don't plan on going to university right away, need to make sure I have everything else in place first, a good job, a good home, a new licence and everything, but thank you so much for your response I greatly appriciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 12:32 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin_ie View Post
If you have an American birth certificate, you are an American citizen, as all babies born on American soil, or (in most circumstances) to American citizens abroad are US citizens. The US embassy closest to you should be able to issue a US passport. You probably already have a Social Security number- it is given at birth-, but I am not sure how you'd find out what it is if your parents refuse to give you the card. I expect the embassy can help with that, too.
You may and may not have a social security number. Nowadays they are issued normally to every child born in the USA at birth. But 20 years ago (approx.) they were not yet issuing them to newborn babies. (They used to be issued when an individual started to work or a child got social security survivor benefits from a deceased parent.)

Old 12-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You may and may not have a social security number. Nowadays they are issued normally to every child born in the USA at birth. But 20 years ago (approx.) they were not yet issuing them to newborn babies. (They used to be issued when an individual started to work or a child got social security survivor benefits from a deceased parent.)
thank you for the information, that was extremely useful ^_^

Old 12-11-2009, 03:43 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I am a former Canuck and got my SS# after my green card.

Fast forward to the OP case.

With a US birth certificate in hand...go to the nearest US Embassy and they would help you with the permission to enter the US as all Americans are required to have a Passport in hand to re-enter the US at the airport or via land (canada/Mexico).

The INS inside the US would be the place to get a Passport after paying the fee with application.

As far as Dual Citizenship is concerned...I had to renounce my Canadian Citizenship at swearing in ceremony which may be different today as mine was decades ago.

I once LOST my US Passport at the airport in Mexico City and the next day went to the US Embassy in Zona Rosa (MC) and with my other ID they gave me a letter that the Embassy guaranteed my citizenship to be able to leave the country via the airport. They can help you also with a letter.

Don't listen to us oddballs here...go to the nearest US Embassy and they will give you the straight scoop.

Steve

Old 12-11-2009, 04:36 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As far as Dual Citizenship is concerned...I had to renounce my Canadian Citizenship at swearing in ceremony which may be different today as mine was decades ago.
Sounds like the OP wouldn't have to deal with this as they're already a U.S. citizen.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:55 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
I was born in Canada but married an American girl while I was the same University as her, and then moved to the US once I was legally granted a valid Green Card. Then, about 10 years later, I applied for naturalization, was granted it in a mere 6 weeks (they wanted engineers and scientists) , became an American and now proudly hold that legal status. In Canada's eyes, however, since I was born there, I'm also still (and always will be, unless I denounce it) a Canadian citizen, tho' the US does not recognize that "dual" status.

I made the mistake, early on, of answering to a US Border Guard that my citizenship was "both"! When he asked how that happened, I told him my understanding of it all. Wrong Answer! He asked if I didn't specifically denounce allegiance to all other nations and flags during my US naturalization ceremony (which was in 1995), and I saw that he was definitely hot and agitated.

I agreed, with apologies, and said I'd never say, or even think, that again, and went on my merry way with a big sigh of relief. But regardless, should things go completely "south" here, and miraculously not affect the somewhat economically and culturally parasitic Canadian society directly north of us, I may have to retreat. For the "free" health care, you understand...

Best of luck, and welcome back. BTW, America-hating has become something of a cultural feeding-frenzy activity in Canada right now. Frankly , for a bunch of very PC social(ist) activists and peace-niks, you folks can be awfully nasty about the country that supports and protects your very economic existence!

(that oughta git a rise outa 'them, huh, Frank?)

Old 12-11-2009, 07:13 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I made the mistake, early on, of answering to a US Border Guard that my citizenship was "both"! When he asked how that happened, I told him my understanding of it all. Wrong Answer! He asked if I didn't specifically denounce allegiance to all other nations and flags during my US naturalization ceremony (which was in 1995), and I saw that he was definitely hot and agitated.
Unfortunately, U.S. border guards can be complete jerks at times.

Old 12-11-2009, 07:18 PM

786 posts, read 2,762,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Best of luck, and welcome back. BTW, America-hating has become something of a cultural feeding-frenzy activity in Canada right now. Frankly , for a bunch of very PC social(ist) activists and peace-niks, you folks can be awfully nasty about the country that supports and protects your very economic existence!

(that oughta git a rise outa 'them, huh, Frank?)
This is a very good piece of advise. Most Canadians (including me) have poked jokes at the typical American stereotype and some of their militant overly-patriotic ways. Once you live down here you understand the background behind this and how serious it is. It is a thing to be proud of, not made fun of.

And if you forget that, you can be in for a world of hurt (not physical).

Leave any preconceived notions at the border.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:05 PM

I've never run in a group of people who poked fun at america O.o maybe it's cause I've always flat out said I'm American, lol, but ya, thanks everyone for the responses ^_^

Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 PM

123 posts, read 473,922 times
Good luck with this. Once you check in with the nearest consulate, they will let you know how to get set up with a passport in your situation. If you can't make it to a consulate, you can send a form directly to the Social Security Administration to request them to check the records to see if you have ever held a card. If so, they will replace it. If not, they will assign you a new number. Once you have the SS card and your birth certificate (SSA says they will return it to you), you should be able to get your passport in short order.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

That link includes instructions. It looks like they want a certified birth certificate, which you have, and some other form of identification, too. Since the form anticipates that some applicants will be outside of the US, I think this should be pretty routine. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration