Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 12:08 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I have heard some English people saying that its easier to immigrate to Canada and then come to the US legally from Canada...is that true?
Have no clue about it, but at this point, it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to be true
The only thing I know was the fact, that my niece, her husband and 2 kids wanted to move to Canada from Germany....and had such a hard time and hassle, that they just gave up, and stayed put in Germany.
Some got it, some don't.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 12:11 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlevo View Post
As I understand it, the wait is 3 years from permanent green card if you are still married to your "sponsor" (spouse). 5 years for other claims. As I said earlier, they "fast-track" you if you join the military and then die.

The total wait time could be close to 10 years because figure on about a year of initial processing, then two years on a temp green card, then five years on a permanent green card, then about a year waiting for citizenship appointment. Added up that is close to 9 years. Most people do take less time though.
I agree....and coming to the original point of this thread......I guess, the brother-in-law has to explore and weigh his options, if he wants to do it the legal way
If we did it, and it worked, legally, he can to......Right???

Old 11-23-2010, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,115 times
I am from pakistan. My unkal in usa .he sopnsar me .what pBullBoxer31 he soponcer me?

Last edited by Rance; 11-23-2010 at 04:24 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 02:45 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,414 times
Your uncle cannot sponsor you for an immigrant visa. He could only sponsor his brother/ sister (ie your parent), who then in turn could sponsor you. You are looking at many years waiting time.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:10 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
I am trying to explain it, as best as I can......
Some countries do have the lottery system, some don't....they make their own rules, as they wish.
No, it wouldn't be "discrimination", because not everybody (for the most part in europe) wants to become a US citizen.
Us people in EUROPE don't have those things going, like blaming things on discrimination issues and such.
The notion to "sue this one", and "sue that one" is NOT present in Europe....period.
Well, if a lottery is not available, one must go to the prevelent consulat, and apply for one...nothing hard about that, and definately not depending on "luck".
Also, I might add, that in some european countries, taking on a foreign citizenship, comes with a lot of strings attached.
In germany, for instance, would I lose my german citizenship, if I would take on the US one....UNLESS, I get in touch with my government in Berlin FIRST, request petitioning documents in order to KEEP my german citizenship, fill it out, pay a HEFTY fee (I was told that it's close to $600), and MY government will decide, if yeah or nay.
If they say no, I am still out of the $600, and can't procede, because I can't risk giving up my german citizenship (have a house there, family...major part of my life), and also can't risk being "citizenshipless".
Before they (germany) changed that law, (allowing german citizens to hold a dual citizenship), you would have completely lost the german one, if you took the foreign one.
It's VERY confusing, and that's putting it mildly....and the deeper one will dig, the more f***ed up it becomes.
Trust me...huh....been there, done that, and all of the sudden, new, weird, and contradicting laws just happen to "sneak" in!!!!
It's a mess everywhere.....but I hope, I provided some insight to you and others.

Sorry , but as a professional UK citizen living legally in the US but unable to work despite a job offer since 2007, it is discrimination that UK citizens can't apply for the lottery when only 17,000 UK citizens were granted US permanent residency (got green cards) last year but half a million mexicans were granted PR!

Citizens of Australia have a special category of US visa available to them, so no competition, no clue why though.

It's the US who decide which countries are eligible for the lottery!

And you cannot, under any circumstances, legally stay in the US for longer than 3 months AND you hvae to return to your own country.
You cannot work on visa waiver.
You can apply for a B2 visitor visa (don't need property in the US) which runs for 6 months, then you can leave the country and come back in straight away. They screen your finances to make sure you have enough money to live without working.

For an intercompany transfer you have to be working for the company in the UK first. THIS SEEMS TO BE ONE OF THE QUICKEST AND EASIEST WAYS TO WORK LEGALLY IN THE USA.

The wait times for Green cards are here.
The processing dates indicate that they are now processing applications that were approved then.

Visa Bulletin for October 2010

Old 11-27-2010, 08:43 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
Yes...it is, what it is, and they don't give "extentions" on it, otherwise so many people would stay.
There are exeptions, however.
One is to have property here in the US, and being a "part time resident" for 6 months. (Having to go back, after that period)
Or, that your brother in law would hook up with a company, and having a job transfer from the UK/ Europe to the US.
And, coming to the above asked question....all I have to say to that would be :" why do you think, they are STILL here illegal".
They certainly haven't found the "legal" and legit loophole yet, nor any non-existent extension.
Sorry......there is just the legal way to come here (which takes time and money), or the illegal way (nice and easy way out, constant fear to be deportet and never be able to come back)
The choice is his to make......
Us legal immigrants went tough it, and I am sure, he can to
It is very hard for a non-American to get a work permit/visa to the USA.
As mentioned already his best option to find a job with a British company that has an American office so he can get a job transfer to the USA.
Otherwise, perhaps he will come to the USA for 3 months and be lucky enough to find an American girlfriend, fall in love and then get married and be able to get a visa that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration