Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 09:59 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,876,600 times

Advertisements

I am American and I sponsored my husband who is now a Green Card holder. The problem is that my brother in law would like to come over and give America a try but since he is not MY brother I can't sponsor him. And since my husband isn't a citizen yet, he can't either.

So here's the question. Does anyone have knowledge of whether there is a way for my husband to get his citizenship before the 3 years it usually takes?
Are there any exceptions to this rule? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 09:45 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,721,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I am American and I sponsored my husband who is now a Green Card holder. The problem is that my brother in law would like to come over and give America a try but since he is not MY brother I can't sponsor him. And since my husband isn't a citizen yet, he can't either.

So here's the question. Does anyone have knowledge of whether there is a way for my husband to get his citizenship before the 3 years it usually takes?
Most of the folks on this forum are rather pre-occupied with illegal immigration. I'm glad your brother-in-law wants to come over legally, but I think you would find more assistance from ICE than the folks in this forum. Perhaps though, one of the legal immigrants who frequents this forum might be able to help you. Dreameyes and MovingBack2PA are both legal immigrants. You might send them a PM and ask.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:42 PM
lee

91 posts, read 383,606 times
Unfortunately I have bad news for you.
My brother is an American citizen and he has sponsored me to get my green card and it is a 12 year wait, so even if your husband was made a citizen tomorrow his brother would still have a very long wait.
I have looked into all areas to speed up my application and their is no way of jumping the queue you just have to wait your turn and be very very patient.
Some people may tell you to look into the green card lottery but unfortunately citizens of th UK are not eligible to apply.
Sorry to give you such negative news but on a lighter note we applied for our green cards 10 years ago and that time has just flown by so my suggestion is for you brother in law to apply as soon as possible and then just forget about it and get on with daily life and the time just flys by.
Best of luck
Lee

Old 06-03-2007, 09:43 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,876,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Most of the folks on this forum are rather pre-occupied with illegal immigration. I'm glad your brother-in-law wants to come over legally, but I think you would find more assistance from ICE than the folks in this forum. Perhaps though, one of the legal immigrants who frequents this forum might be able to help you. Dreameyes and MovingBack2PA are both legal immigrants. You might send them a PM and ask.
OK- Do any of the illegal immigrants have an idea how he can come over on a 3 month visa waiver and get that extended or be able to work while here? I understand the waiver is supposed to be "un-adjustable".

Old 06-03-2007, 10:59 PM

233 posts, read 438,339 times
Question Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee View Post
Unfortunately I have bad news for you.
My brother is an American citizen and he has sponsored me to get my green card and it is a 12 year wait, so even if your husband was made a citizen tomorrow his brother would still have a very long wait.
I have looked into all areas to speed up my application and their is no way of jumping the queue you just have to wait your turn and be very very patient.
Some people may tell you to look into the green card lottery but unfortunately citizens of th UK are not eligible to apply.
Sorry to give you such negative news but on a lighter note we applied for our green cards 10 years ago and that time has just flown by so my suggestion is for you brother in law to apply as soon as possible and then just forget about it and get on with daily life and the time just flys by.
Best of luck
Lee
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
I need some education here, not trying to be irritating but just why wouldn't someone from the UK or any other country not be eligible for a green card lottery? Wouldn't this be a form of discrimination against them as far as everyone should have an equal chance at becoming a citizen?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:09 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,406,648 times
Quote:
OK- Do any of the illegal immigrants have an idea how he can come over on a 3 month visa waiver and get that extended or be able to work while here? I understand the waiver is supposed to be "un-adjustable".
Yes...it is, what it is, and they don't give "extentions" on it, otherwise so many people would stay.
There are exeptions, however.
One is to have property here in the US, and being a "part time resident" for 6 months. (Having to go back, after that period)
Or, that your brother in law would hook up with a company, and having a job transfer from the UK/ Europe to the US.
And, coming to the above asked question....all I have to say to that would be :" why do you think, they are STILL here illegal".
They certainly haven't found the "legal" and legit loophole yet, nor any non-existent extension.
Sorry......there is just the legal way to come here (which takes time and money), or the illegal way (nice and easy way out, constant fear to be deportet and never be able to come back)
The choice is his to make......
Us legal immigrants went tough it, and I am sure, he can to

Old 06-03-2007, 11:17 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
I need some education here, not trying to be irritating but just why wouldn't someone from the UK or any other country not be eligible for a green card lottery? Wouldn't this be a form of discrimination against them as far as everyone should have an equal chance at becoming a citizen?
I am trying to explain it, as best as I can......
Some countries do have the lottery system, some don't....they make their own rules, as they wish.
No, it wouldn't be "discrimination", because not everybody (for the most part in europe) wants to become a US citizen.
Us people in EUROPE don't have those things going, like blaming things on discrimination issues and such.
The notion to "sue this one", and "sue that one" is NOT present in Europe....period.
Well, if a lottery is not available, one must go to the prevelent consulat, and apply for one...nothing hard about that, and definately not depending on "luck".
Also, I might add, that in some european countries, taking on a foreign citizenship, comes with a lot of strings attached.
In germany, for instance, would I lose my german citizenship, if I would take on the US one....UNLESS, I get in touch with my government in Berlin FIRST, request petitioning documents in order to KEEP my german citizenship, fill it out, pay a HEFTY fee (I was told that it's close to $600), and MY government will decide, if yeah or nay.
If they say no, I am still out of the $600, and can't procede, because I can't risk giving up my german citizenship (have a house there, family...major part of my life), and also can't risk being "citizenshipless".
Before they (germany) changed that law, (allowing german citizens to hold a dual citizenship), you would have completely lost the german one, if you took the foreign one.
It's VERY confusing, and that's putting it mildly....and the deeper one will dig, the more f***ed up it becomes.
Trust me...huh....been there, done that, and all of the sudden, new, weird, and contradicting laws just happen to "sneak" in!!!!
It's a mess everywhere.....but I hope, I provided some insight to you and others.

Last edited by MB2; 06-03-2007 at 11:36 PM.. Reason: add on

Old 06-03-2007, 11:24 PM

989 posts, read 2,755,117 times
Quote:

I'm married to an immigrant so I have done a bit of research in this area.

1) no, there are no "fast track" solutions to shorten the 3 year period. The only one I know if is if you join the military they speed it up, usually posthumously after you die as a symbolic gesture.

2) it will take a decade or so after your husband becomes a citizen for him to get the brother-in-law over here. Don't hold your breath, that is one of the things the new immigration law is aimed at changing (reducing, not eliminating). That could push it to more like 20 years.

3) Your B-I-L's best bet at the moment is to marry a citizen himself (I know, kinda sucks) or get an H1-B visa (generally for Master's degree level stuff). The new law proposes adding skilled labor, etc to the options, but if you read a few of the posts in this forum, you'll get the idea that there is at least a small (vocal) minority firmly opposed to that.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:29 PM

233 posts, read 438,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Some countries do, some don't....they make their own rules, as they wish.
No, it wouldn't be "discrimination", because not everybody for the most part wants to become a US citizen.
Us people in EUROPE don't have those things going, like blaming things on discrimination issues and such.
The notion to "sue this one", and "sue that one" is NOT present in Europe....period.
Well, if a lottery is not available, one must go to the prevelent consulat, and apply for one...nothing hard about that, and definately not depending on "luck".
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
So is it the United States who has this lottery or each individual country that has it for their own citizens as to who is eligible to come here? I think an equal number from all eligible countries should be permitted entrance with no favoritism toward any one over another, that to me seems like a fair arrangement and would stop any one group from overpowering any one segment of the nation.

Old 06-03-2007, 11:39 PM
MB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
So is it the United States who has this lottery or each individual country that has it for their own citizens as to who is eligible to come here? I think an equal number from all eligible countries should be permitted entrance with no favoritism toward any one over another, that to me seems like a fair arrangement and would stop any one group from overpowering any one segment of the nation.
Well, yes and no......
I guess it all depends on the countries themselves, and what they decide. It's NOT the US's decision, to push that issue.
Don't forget, some countries won't allow ANYTHING western...Why would they be in favor of a "lottery"???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration