Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 12:33 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdek View Post
I am a us citizen and want to marry a girl from Canada who has dual citizenship, Canadian and Jamician. She would like to also become a US citizen ann reside with me here in the US. Is this possible, and if so how does one go about it.
If you go to the first "sticky" on this page you'll find a link to the USCIS website where you'll find answers. Your fiancée will be eligible for a Green Card (permanent resident alien status) through marriage to you but the wait for citizenship is several years and she may not be able to keep her present dual citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 11:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
Hello. My father was born in Canada, mother born in the US. I was born in the US. The majority of my family is Canadian and I would like to move there. My father never became a US citizen and just had his green card. I recently heard that they passed a law in Canada that should allow me to get my dual citizenship. Any information would be appreciated. Oh, i have like 8 relatives in the US, and like 500+ in Canada and I would love to get to know the majority of my family better.
You are probably thinking of Canadian citizenship by decent.
Shouldnt be too hard and is probably just a matter of filling out and sending in a few forms along with your Dads birthcertificateChanges to citizenship rules as of April 2009..

Last edited by jambo101; 11-25-2013 at 12:04 PM..

Old 11-25-2013, 12:07 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You are probably thinking of Canadian citizenship by decent.
The poster you're responding to posted almost four years ago.

Old 11-25-2013, 03:13 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,269,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
The poster you're responding to posted almost four years ago.
For some reason the last thing i check on a post is the date it was submitted. guess i got suckered again.
However the info i provided might help others..

Old 08-21-2015, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 1,429 times
I am american, my husband (just married) is Canadian. He is waiting on the permanent resident card now. We both want dual citizenship. Is that possible?

Old 08-24-2015, 12:37 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,148,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USACanada2015 View Post
I am american, my husband (just married) is Canadian. He is waiting on the permanent resident card now. We both want dual citizenship. Is that possible?
Yes, it's possible.

After he receives his US green card, he can apply for the US citizenship if he:

1. Is US green card holder for 3 years less 90 days
2. Has lived in the US for an aggregate period 1.5 years after becoming the US green card holder
3. His absences from the US are not longer than 6 months at a time

Here is the link: http://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship/...naturalization

After he becomes the US citizen, he can sponsor you to be a Canadian Permanent Resident which gives you the opportunity to apply for Canadian citizenship when you become eligible. Here are the eligibility criteria to become a Canadian citizen:

Determine your eligibility – Citizenship

Old 03-02-2016, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,242 times
How can I apply for duel citizenship? My father was born in Alberta 1922, became a naturlized citizen in the 1970's. My mother and myself were born in the us. Neither are alive but I do have my fathers naturalization papers.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:36 AM

34 posts, read 23,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdek View Post
I am a us citizen and want to marry a girl from Canada who has dual citizenship, Canadian and Jamician. She would like to also become a US citizen ann reside with me here in the US. Is this possible, and if so how does one go about it.
Pls Consult an experienced immigration attorney to solve your issue and it will also help to provide a best legal representation for your case...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration