U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
740 posts, read 1,895,874 times
Reputation: 541

Advertisements

Hello. My father was born in Canada, mother born in the US. I was born in the US. The majority of my family is Canadian and I would like to move there. My father never became a US citizen and just had his green card. I recently heard that they passed a law in Canada that should allow me to get my dual citizenship. Any information would be appreciated. Oh, i have like 8 relatives in the US, and like 500+ in Canada and I would love to get to know the majority of my family better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-19-2010, 11:44 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,242 posts, read 23,494,075 times
Reputation: 3587
Dual citizenship has always been allowed. My wife is triple citizen (USA, Canada, Jamaica) and my 2 step children are dual US Canada citizens. If your father's name is on your birth certificate then you are a Canadian citizen. You just have to fill out the paperwork and get your card.

birth in Canada (except in cases where parents are diplomats of a foreign nation)
* birth overseas to a CanUnder the 1977 legislation, Canadian citizenship is acquired by:

*adian parent
* naturalization (grant) after three years residence in Canada
* notification in the case of a woman who lost British subject status by marriage before 1947
* registration in some cases of persons born outside Canada to a Canadian citizen before 15 February 1977 (these provisions were terminated on 14 August 2004).

Canadian citizens are in general no longer subject to involuntary loss of citizenship, barring revocation on the grounds of citizenship or immigration fraud.

The one exception is section 8 of the Citizenship Act which applies to Canadians born outside Canada to a Canadian parent who also acquired Canadian citizenship by birth outside to a Canadian parent. Such persons lose Canadian citizenship at age 28 unless they have established specific ties to Canada and applied to retain Canadian citizenship.

Children born outside Canada to naturalized Canadian citizens are not subject to the section 8 provisions. Nor is anyone born before 15 February 1977.[3]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2010, 12:58 AM
 
Location: North Dakota
740 posts, read 1,895,874 times
Reputation: 541
That's pretty much what I thought, thanks for the info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 07:12 PM
 
1 posts, read 11,993 times
Reputation: 11
If a Canadian has a green card for employment in the United States can his spouse obtain a green card
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM
 
Location: 3rd rock from the sun
3,857 posts, read 6,648,630 times
Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljgill View Post
If a Canadian has a green card for employment in the United States can his spouse obtain a green card
According to the latest Visa Bulletin - the US gov't is currently processing applications made in 2007 for the F2A category - so if you apply now you can expect a 4 year wait.

F2A= Spouses and Children, and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of Permanent Residents

Visa Bulletin For April 2011


A green card means that you have been granted legal Permanent Residency in the USA. You don't get the green card until you move to the US. If you (or spouse) has a green card and have moved back to Canada then you risk losing that green card/Permanent Resident status if you stay out of the US for an extended period.

Last edited by Gary Siete; 03-21-2011 at 10:35 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-03-2012, 06:27 PM
 
1 posts, read 10,264 times
Reputation: 12
My Dad was born in the US moved to Canada when he was young. He got his Canadian citizenship, never renounced his US citizenship. We have his birth certificate from Albany New York. My brothers & I would like dual citizenship. How do we go about doing this? Where do we apply? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 AM
 
20,088 posts, read 5,974,409 times
Reputation: 36804
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperMom View Post
My Dad was born in the US moved to Canada when he was young. He got his Canadian citizenship, never renounced his US citizenship. We have his birth certificate from Albany New York. My brothers & I would like dual citizenship. How do we go about doing this? Where do we apply? I would appreciate any help. Thanks
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86757.pdf

He must have resided in the US for a specific number of years. You can read up on all the specifics. Generally rule of thumb is five years and two of them after the 14th birthday.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 06:43 AM
 
2 posts, read 16,984 times
Reputation: 11
My husband is a Canadian citizen that was naturalized in the US in 1990. I was born and raised in Johnstown, PA. My son was born in 1994 and will be playing hockey in British Columbia in August of this year where my husband was born and raised. He will be living with my husband's brother and wants to become a dual citizen of Canada. Can he do this and how do we go about doing this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Dual citizenship has always been allowed. My wife is triple citizen (USA, Canada, Jamaica) and my 2 step children are dual US Canada citizens. If your father's name is on your birth certificate then you are a Canadian citizen. You just have to fill out the paperwork and get your card.

birth in Canada (except in cases where parents are diplomats of a foreign nation)
* birth overseas to a CanUnder the 1977 legislation, Canadian citizenship is acquired by:

*adian parent
* naturalization (grant) after three years residence in Canada
* notification in the case of a woman who lost British subject status by marriage before 1947
* registration in some cases of persons born outside Canada to a Canadian citizen before 15 February 1977 (these provisions were terminated on 14 August 2004).

Canadian citizens are in general no longer subject to involuntary loss of citizenship, barring revocation on the grounds of citizenship or immigration fraud.

The one exception is section 8 of the Citizenship Act which applies to Canadians born outside Canada to a Canadian parent who also acquired Canadian citizenship by birth outside to a Canadian parent. Such persons lose Canadian citizenship at age 28 unless they have established specific ties to Canada and applied to retain Canadian citizenship.

Children born outside Canada to naturalized Canadian citizens are not subject to the section 8 provisions. Nor is anyone born before 15 February 1977.[3]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 AM
 
2 posts, read 16,984 times
Reputation: 11
My husband is a Canadian citizen that was naturalized in the US in 1990. I was born and raised in Johnstown, PA. My son was born in 1994 and will be playing hockey in British Columbia in August of this year where my husband was born and raised. He will be living with my husband's brother and wants to become a dual citizen of Canada. Can he do this and how do we go about doing this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2013, 11:15 AM
 
1 posts, read 7,776 times
Reputation: 10
I am a us citizen and want to marry a girl from Canada who has dual citizenship, Canadian and Jamician. She would like to also become a US citizen ann reside with me here in the US. Is this possible, and if so how does one go about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top