Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 04:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,247 times

Advertisements

Hi,
The advice on this forum is fantastic and thank you in advance.

My fiance has dual nationality, both Irish and US since his father worked and live in the states for 30+years, they eventually came back to settle in ireland.

My fiance and I (Im Irish) live in Ireland. We wish to move to Boston for a few years with the plan of staying for good if all goes well.

We have consulted our US embassy in Dublin and they have told us that we cannot apply for a Fiance visa since the US citizen does not reside in the states.
I am questioning this because another person at the embassy said we could, so we are getting conflicting info.

My question is: Can a US Citizen file a Fiance visa even though he is not resident in the US and was never a resident. Only ever visited on holidays.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Have you checked the USCIS website which is linked in the first "sticky" on this forum page? The fiance visa (USCIS - Fiancé(e) Visa) requires that you marry within 90 days of your entry into the country but I didn't read any further to see anything other than "US Citizen". The USCIS website is an excellent source of information and you can probably find the more definitive answer on there where your fiance's citizenship status is concerned. Good luck!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:37 AM

Yes, Thank you i have checked that website and the only info i found

You are filing a K-1 petition for your fiancé(e) and you live outside the United States.
California Service Center or the Vermont Service Center, depending on your last place of residence in the U.S. (see above for filing location).

Since he has no last place of residence in the US, i think i will file it to the Vermont Center. All i can do is take a chance and see is it rejected.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:10 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,957 times
If speed is of the essence (not that getting any US visa is fast...), I believe California is faster.

As far as I know, you can apply without ever having been a US resident, as long as the fiance is a US citizen. But I thought you needed a US mailing address, as the USCIS will not send paperwork abroad; ie basically a friend or family member who can forward stuff for you two.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,682,675 times
Just a thought but since in any case you are required on the fiance visa to marry within 90 days, might it not be easier all around if you married before moving to the US?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:00 AM

We are thinking of that possibilty too. I think it might be an easier option.

A wedding at home takes a few mths to plan, by notifying the registrar, doing a pre marriage course, booking church, priest and hotel,etc, and that was putting us off.

This would take min 6 mths to do, but we are now just thinking of going abroad and getting married now and then apply for a spouse visa through our embassy. Seems alot easier.

We just want to move over to the States asap, since my work contract is up in the nxt few wks so not much keeping us here.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:22 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream cake View Post
We are thinking of that possibilty too. I think it might be an easier option.

A wedding at home takes a few mths to plan, by notifying the registrar, doing a pre marriage course, booking church, priest and hotel,etc, and that was putting us off.

This would take min 6 mths to do, but we are now just thinking of going abroad and getting married now and then apply for a spouse visa through our embassy. Seems alot easier.

We just want to move over to the States asap, since my work contract is up in the nxt few wks so not much keeping us here.

The General Register Office - Getting Married

Church, white dress, hotel ... ???

Old 02-04-2010, 12:55 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream cake View Post
Yes, Thank you i have checked that website and the only info i found

You are filing a K-1 petition for your fiancé(e) and you live outside the United States.
California Service Center or the Vermont Service Center, depending on your last place of residence in the U.S. (see above for filing location).

Since he has no last place of residence in the US, i think i will file it to the Vermont Center. All i can do is take a chance and see is it rejected.
You might want to file your paperwork according to your fiance's American father's last USA residence meaning according to the city & state of where the American father last lived. (That would be last US address for an American minor who grew up overseas if they want to vote in a Presidental election. So it might be the same for immigration purposes.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration