Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 02:28 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

STT - you may want to check your GC USCIS - Replace a Green Card

As an expired GC may be considered a misdemeanor OP may want to get on line and renew asap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:47 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
STT - different scenario. You lost your card. You were not in physical possession of it. It had not expired.
Well, one can argue that the original GCs had no expiration date and that the new cards HAVE an expiration date but I still argue that even though the new 10 year card may expire the immigration status itself doesn't. Nothing in the USCIS link states otherwise and I read through the whole thing.

Old 03-22-2010, 03:41 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
STT - it depends on the lettering on a "permanent" GC.
OP still has a misdemeanor on a potential citizenship application.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:28 PM

355 posts, read 1,374,745 times
I finally went and renewed my expired card of two years.They took my pic and fingerprints and told me it would be in the mail in 3-6 months. They did asked to see my card but I said i had lost it, which is true. Besides that there were no more questions asked.I think they do a background check and check your status way before youre even given the apointment. When I filled out my name and info they informed me that I had left out my middle name so im pretty sure they knew all about me already.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:36 PM

I did check out the website, and it does say that it is ilegal not to have your resident card on you at all times. Im not sure this law is really enforced though, unless your traveling or doing something ilegal.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfish View Post
I did check out the website, and it does say that it is ilegal not to have your resident card on you at all times. Im not sure this law is really enforced though, unless your traveling or doing something ilegal.
I'm in the process of entering the US on a K-1 visa, and subsequently will apply for a green card, and I've wondered about this one.

How important is it to keep it with you at all times? Won't it usually be enough with a drivers license if you have to talk to some law enforcement, or should I actually keep it with me at all times, when that time comes?

(Oh, and enyone who has any relevant information to entering the US on a K-1 and the procedure that follows are welcome to send me a DM about what to expect )

Old 04-28-2010, 08:00 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
I've been here in the USA for 19 months now, and never been asked for my greencard other than when opening a bank account and applying for a driving license, not even during a traffic stop. I think it may be different if you live near a border though, or when they want an excuse to take you in.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:22 PM

Yeah I think the only time anyone is gonna ask for it is if you dont speak english or have a really strong spanish accent and live where there is a large ilegal immigrant population. Also for jobs and legal stuff you should have it. I speak perfect english and dont look ilegal......whatever that means.....just dont go to arizona.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:41 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Yeah I think the only time anyone is gonna ask for it is if you dont speak english or have a really strong spanish accent and live where there is a large ilegal immigrant population. Also for jobs and legal stuff you should have it. I speak perfect english and dont look ilegal......whatever that means.....just dont go to arizona.
Haha! I was planning on avoiding it.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 AM

683 posts, read 1,468,482 times
Quote:
Im confused about being a permanent resident. Is it jsut the card that expires after 10 years or my status also? Is it possible to renew my card after expiration?
You can always renew your permanent residency card (every 10 years).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration