Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2010, 10:55 AM

332 posts, read 990,205 times

Advertisements

In the interest of keeping open minds we're starting to look at Williams Township in Northampton County. Given its proximity to Easton I had initially dismissed it, assuming that it was too suburban, but Google Maps, being the wonderful tool that it is, revealed Williams to be much more rural than I thought. Taxes don't seem all that bad-they probably seem high to PA folks, but to a NJ resident they're manageable. In searching around on city-data I've found some bits and pieces of information about Williams, but not a lot. Just to address some of what I've found ahead of time:

-I know that it's rural and that we'll have to drive 30+ minutes to grocery shop, etc... We consider this a plus.

-I see that the Wilson Area School District doesn't exactly get the highest marks. We're not too concerned about that either. I went a very highly rated high school and didn't apply myself there-I ended up going to community college where I excelled and earned a scholarship to a 4 year school. I had a friend who went a mediocre high school a few towns who really applied himself and graduated near the top of his class. He earned a scholarship to Rutgers right out of school. I don't put too much stock in school ratings. As long as it's a safe environment it will do.

-Again, we know that it's quiet, dark at night, and that there's not a whole lot to do (parks, community pools, etc...)-this is what we're looking for.

Basically I'm just looking for anyone who is living there currently and how they like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 02:20 PM

379 posts, read 512,317 times
Williams is pretty nice, so is Lower Saucon Township

Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 PM

I'm starting to wonder if either no one posting on city-data lives in any of the towns we're looking at, or if they're just keeping quiet because they're afraid of others coming in and ruining paradise!

Old 06-22-2010, 08:56 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
Speaking for myself, we never looked in that area at all.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:44 AM

208 posts, read 650,650 times
Williams Township is a very nice area to live. I grew up in that district and had many friends who lived in "the township." It is rural, yet convenient enough to everything. To get to a nice grocery store, you will travel not more than 15-20 minutes depending on where in the township you live. Years ago, it was primarily the same families, several generations of them. However, in the last 15 years or so, there has been a large influx of people who have relocated there. Many of them are professionals who work in NJ or NY. One of my best friends was born and raised there and bought an old farmhouse right down the lane from her parents. She redid the entire home and it is reminiscent of a Better Homes & Gardens home now. Another of my friends had a daughter just graduate from Wilson and will be heading to Moravian College in the fall. The school district is a decent one and what I've always loved about it is the small size and the tight-knit community throughout the district. I think you will love it there and if I were to move back to the area, it would certainly be one of my first choices. Best of luck to you!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
Williams Township is a very nice area to live. I grew up in that district and had many friends who lived in "the township." It is rural, yet convenient enough to everything. To get to a nice grocery store, you will travel not more than 15-20 minutes depending on where in the township you live. Years ago, it was primarily the same families, several generations of them. However, in the last 15 years or so, there has been a large influx of people who have relocated there. Many of them are professionals who work in NJ or NY. One of my best friends was born and raised there and bought an old farmhouse right down the lane from her parents. She redid the entire home and it is reminiscent of a Better Homes & Gardens home now. Another of my friends had a daughter just graduate from Wilson and will be heading to Moravian College in the fall. The school district is a decent one and what I've always loved about it is the small size and the tight-knit community throughout the district. I think you will love it there and if I were to move back to the area, it would certainly be one of my first choices. Best of luck to you!
Thanks-that's what I was hoping to hear. We really just need to get out there and actually drive around the area to get a feel for it. So far the only caveat that I've seen is that some folks seem to think that the landfill along I-78 is not being a very good neighbor (smells, noise, etc...), but looking at property in the southern part of the township should negate that. The "large influx of professionals from NY/NJ" does worry me a little (even though I'm one of them ) because they tend to bring a demand for more services, development, and ultimately regulation and taxes We'll see I guess.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 AM

208 posts, read 650,650 times
Yes, a landfill is never a plus BUT if you choose the right area, it won't affect you at all. Most of my friends live toward the middle or opposite end of the township and have not experienced any smell issues or other problems. I think you will find Williams Township to be lovely and somewhat preserved (ignoring the several newer developments lol). I believe they do have township zoning rules that state that each individual property must contain at least one acre of land. Your best bet is to get out there and drive around as you planned.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsynative View Post
I believe they do have township zoning rules that state that each individual property must contain at least one acre of land. Your best bet is to get out there and drive around as you planned.
They actually increased it to 2 acres not too long ago which is nice. Zoning and building regulations seem pretty reasonable on the whole. The township website has been very informative, so you're right, pretty much all that's left is physically getting there.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 PM

102 posts, read 453,505 times
I've lived in Williams Township for just about 4 years now. The setting is not suburban at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
-I know that it's rural and that we'll have to drive 30+ minutes to grocery shop, etc... We consider this a plus.
It's not so bad. Less than 10 minutes to Easton which is fine to visit during the day. 10+ minutes West to Hellertown which has it's own main street, and less than 10 minutes to I-78 from the southern edge of Williams Township where I live. 25th St Shopping Center with Giant is 10 minutes away. Fresh Market is 20 minutes West on I-78, and so is Wegmans on Rt.33 in Nazareth. However, the closest "major" mall is Lehigh Valley mall which is about 30 min away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere110 View Post
-Again, we know that it's quiet, dark at night, and that there's not a whole lot to do (parks, community pools, etc...)-this is what we're looking for.
Yes, it gets very very dark, lol. Some people whom have moved here from NJ/NY never could quite get used to it and have moved away because of it.

The only negative of the area for myself personally is that NY/NJ transplants tend to be really snobby and if you end up living in a community with a lot of them, it almost feels like you're back living in NY/NJ where residents are constantly fighting and bickering about stupid petty stuff.

My recommendation, don't live in a "development/community" type place with an HOA. Take advantage of the rural setting and live on your own independent lot.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:39 AM

18 posts, read 87,212 times
Since we're talking about Williams Township (where I just moved to),
where should I go fishing?

Deere110, we just moved here and are renting to see how it feels before deciding whether to settle longer term in Northampton or Upper Bucks.
So far so good.

Like the fact that Ichiroll alluded to - pretty close to shopping, etc. via 78 or west into Hellertown, but very rural feeling within minutes off Exit 75.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley